The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Four of Canada's Big Banks Boycott Facebook

nucklehead

Four of Canada's five biggest banks are joining an international boycott of Facebook over concerns that the platform is complicit in promoting racism, violence and misinformation.

Scotiabank, RBC, CIBC and BMO have pledged to stop purchasing ads on the site for the month, aligning themselves with brands such as Lululemon and MEC in signing onto the #StopHateForProfit campaign.

Advertisement

The initiative, spearheaded by organizations like the NAACP and the Anti-Defamation League, began in response to growing anti-Semitic and anti-Black rhetoric found on the social media platform.

Participating brands will suspend all advertising on the platform for the month of July.

Scotiabank announced its intentions on Tuesday, while RBC, CIBC and BMO confirmed to The Canadian Press on Wednesday that they would follow suit.

"RBC believes widespread, systemic racism has disadvantaged Black, Indigenous and People of Colour (BIPOC) by significantly impeding their ability to compete equally in opportunities for economic and social advancement," RBC spokesman AJ Goodman told The Canadian Press.

"One way we can do that is by standing against misinformation and hate speech, which only make systemic racism more pervasive."

TD had yet to comment on the matter by Wednesday afternoon.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/money/topstories/four-of-canada-s-big-banks-join-anti-hate-advertising-boycott-of-facebook/ar-BB16dQHT?ocid=spartan-ntp-feeds

3 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I've been "boycotting" facebook since day one....

Mainly because I already spend too much time on CDC....^_^

My boycott started due to the "join my mafia" and Farmville crowds...and because of people I don't even know commenting on photos.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

Okay everybody... head back to Myspace and Friendster!

Nexopia was a classic in my youth

Im 9 years clean from FB 

Only insta and twitter for me :metal: .. and here on cdc

Reddit is addicting too but with their new trash content policy i might start to

boycott 

27 minutes ago, Chicken. said:

Nexopia was a classic in my youth

Im 9 years clean from FB 

Only insta and twitter for me :metal: .. and here on cdc

Reddit is addicting too but with their new trash content policy i might start to

boycott 

No FB, instagram or twitter for me, I am social media free.

Hey it rhymes also, I guess cdc counts as social media.

• Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, Violator said:

Can MEC even afford to pay for adds? seems pretty out of touch for the banks to boycott this they arent exactly stewards of good policy.

Banks virtue signalling .. riding the public momentum to gain some goodwill

• Like 2

Personally I can see FB last for about 10-15 years more.. 

The fad behind it is slowly disappearing as the emergence of Instagram (also Facebook owned) and twitter. 

I certainly don't believe it will last forever so to speak.

For what I can recall its very popular with pre-teens and boomers. Anyone in-between don't really like/use it. 

Too bad Zuckerberg and his cronies had to sell out to the NSA and other government entities... but I guess that was inevitable. 

People don't realize they're selling their personal information for various private/government agencies to use at their whim.

Edited by drummer4now

2 hours ago, Chicken. said:

Banks virtue signalling .. riding the public momentum to gain some goodwill

It's not just banks pulling ads.

Facebook boycott: View the list of companies pulling ads

•  

https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/06/30/facebook-boycott-view-the-list-of-companies-pulling-ads/

Lots of big hitters in that list.