The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ottawa to post $343B deficit as spending hits levels not seen since Second World War

CBH1926

31 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

What is very important is to figure out who are the major debt holders. 

IIRC, Japan's debt is almost completely owned by the Japanese banks and government (not worth owning by foreign investors).... thus the money and interest payments (practically 0%) are kept within Japan, to other Japanese.

Whereas for the US, Brazil and other countries.... a lot of their debt are owned by other countries.  China and Japan combined holds about 2 trillion in US debt.  If rate rises and payments are made.... it goes to those countries.  

WTF? lol I believe you but this has gotta be a joke.

So Japanese central bank is printing money to buy their own government's bond? 

Abe is either a super genius or he is the biggest idiot in the history of Japan. lol Abe might be dumber than Trump.

I'm surprised Japan's economy/currency hasn't collapsed yet or at the very least that their currency should have lost position as one of the key world currencies. If I'm trading with Japan, I'm not accepting Japanese Yen.

Not sure why no one is shorting Yen.

Edited by khay

13 minutes ago, khay said:

Japan 235%???

I thought they were one of the economic powers of the world?

Is Japan on the verge of an economic crisis?

Rapidly aging population with very little immigration to mitigate the issue.  Anyone opposing immigration in a country with socialized pension and medical coverage should be looking there.

Hold up...  

Our Federal government offloads a lot of costs to the Provinces.  Therefore if you want to compare our true debt to GDP ratio, you have to add up the Federal and Provincial debt.  

2 hours ago, khay said:

Japan 235%???

I thought they were one of the economic powers of the world?

Is Japan on the verge of an economic crisis?

2 hours ago, khay said:

WTF? lol I believe you but this has gotta be a joke.

So Japanese central bank is printing money to buy their own government's bond? 

Abe is either a super genius or he is the biggest idiot in the history of Japan. lol Abe might be dumber than Trump.

I'm surprised Japan's economy/currency hasn't collapsed yet or at the very least that their currency should have lost position as one of the key world currencies. If I'm trading with Japan, I'm not accepting Japanese Yen.

Not sure why no one is shorting Yen.

Japan is kind of a unique case.  They have been suffering from deflation since the 90's.  Even with all the monetary policy and expansion of debt... their inflation is only at 2%.  Just to put things into perspective.... their mortgage rate is like 0.6%.  I have no idea about business loans and stuff... but my father-in-law insists on keeping the business loan active instead of paying it off, even though they very profitable each year.  Something about how the amount is negligible and that he's "thankful" of the bank for even giving the loan to begin with.  

Even if the yen starts to tank.... it's only good news for Japan's manufacturing sector.  IIRC, anytime their FX is better than 90 yen per 1 USD.... it's almost guaranteed profitability for many major firms.  A weak yen makes they will start taking business away from China, South Korea, etc.  A weak yen does impact resource prices, especially energy.... but manufacturing still trumps that.  

Then there is the population "crisis".... both positive and negative.  It puts pressure on social welfare as there are less people paying into it.  But on the other hand, wages for the "millennial" and Gen Z will increase as the supply of labour will shrink and the boomers and Gen X starts retiring.  Japan's workforce population is decreasing... but GDP is still inching up... thus it mean per capita GDP is increasing even greater.  

With many younger Japanese moving to Kanto and Kansai area, there is an exodus from many parts of Japan.  "Smaller" cities in Japan (1-3 million range) are having trouble finding workers and with the decline in population, housing is very very cheap.  People always claim that homes in Japan are expensive... that's only true if you're talking about the Greater Tokyo area.  Even in Osaka (10 million+ population), you can get a very decent sized house, like 2500 square feet for like 300-400k Canadian, with amenities better than in Canada (every home has a sauna/hot tub, aircon/heater in every room, more efficient design, 5-10 minutes from 2 train stations/4 supermarkets/10 bars/20 restaurants/schools, etc).

There may be a point where Japan may have trouble servicing it's debt... but the interest payments just goes back to the Japanese people.  Cost of living ever decreasing, wage eventually going to increase, more and more automation... Japan's GDP crisis may just be overblown.  Interestingly enough.... you always hear about how Japan need more immigrants (apparently usually from 3rd world places)... yet it would technically be more harmful in regards to wages, cost of living, etc.  

• Vintage 2

16 hours ago, CBH1926 said:

Ottawa to post $343B deficit as spending hits levels not seen since Second World War

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/bill-morneau-fiscal-update-budget-deficit-1.5641864

that is one one spending spree no one should complain about.  We're Canadians, we look after each other.

edit: except Boudrias, I'm sure.

Edited by stawns
  • Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, stawns said:

that is one one spending spree no one should complain about.  We're Canadians, we look after each other.

edit: except Boudrias, I'm sure.

Strome as well but he hasn’t posted in awhile 

• Cheers 1

14 hours ago, CBH1926 said:

Perpetual union, you can’t secede legally.

The only way is for the union to dissolve and that is not happening in our lifetimes.

Didn't stop people from splitting from their lawful King, way back when :)

6 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Wait really?

What caused that?

I'm guessing the memes'?

Pink Nazi JT with Rainbow Swastika amongst others.

His last few days he was looking for fights too, maybe he said too much...

Mod Templeton Peck confirmed the ban.

Edited by bishopshodan

4 minutes ago, Chicken. said:

I'm hoping it was more than the picture of trudeau wearing a pink nazi outfit with the rainbow swastikas but idk last active June 26 apparently 

I didn't like that one.

However the ones he posted a few months earlier bugged me more.

The lynching image. Had a noose hanging in a tree with the words something like ' come West Justin' 

Just gross, that kinda stuff could.... I dunno,  inspire crazies to drive across the country with their guns and ill intent for the PM.

• Cheers 3

7 minutes ago, Chicken. said:

I'm hoping it was more than the picture of trudeau wearing a pink nazi outfit with the rainbow swastikas but idk last active June 26 apparently 

I think it was more than that. As Bishop pointed out, he had gotten into some heated "discussions" with several posters (me included).

I remember someone (can't remember who) quite rightly pointing out the hypocrisy of him posting the swastika meme, since he had often called out posters for comparing Trump to Hitler. that quickly devolved into yet another argument.

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

I didn't like that one.

However the ones he posted a few months earlier bugged me more.

The lynching image. Had a noose hanging in a tree with the words something like ' come West Justin' 

Just gross, that kinda stuff could.... I dunno,  inspire crazies to drive across the country with their guns and ill intent for the PM.

Yeah that doesn't sound very funny. everyone wishes death on Trump regularly and I don't really find that stuff funny either. 

Perhaps it was an accumulation of warnings or something that contributed to it. still for a lifetime ban idk but I guess this forum is aimed at all ages. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I think it was more than that. As Bishop pointed out, he had gotten into some heated "discussions" with several posters (me included).

I remember someone (can't remember who) quite rightly pointing out the hypocrisy of him posting the swastika meme, since he had often called out posters for comparing Trump to Hitler. that quickly devolved into yet another argument.

Now that I think of it.. June 26 is two weeks ago tomororw... maybe he had a two week ban and we will all be graced with his presence again tomorrow haha

1 minute ago, Chicken. said:

Yeah that doesn't sound very funny. everyone wishes death on Trump regularly and I don't really find that stuff funny either. 

Perhaps it was an accumulation of warnings or something that contributed to it. still for a lifetime ban idk but I guess this forum is aimed at all ages. 

I don't know if that was confirmed. TP mentioned a ban, but sometimes they take the form of a "time out". Not sure what Strome's long term situation is.....

1 minute ago, Chicken. said:

Man do you have to bring Trump into every thread? I'm kidding.

Though I don't see people calling for a assassination as much as cheering for covid or a flight of stairs to take him out. When the Kathy Griffin image came out it got condemned even in that echo chamber of a thread.

• Upvote 1