The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Wild name Judd Brackett as new Director of Amateur Scouting

Rate this topic

2 minutes ago, lmm said:

I remember when Nonis got fired and there were people saying he will get another GM job quickly.

He basically followed Burkie around until Burke got tired of him.

People said the opposite about Brackett, that he was living off of Jims coat tails

and he get hired immediately

...and that is the only lens that matters since we don't know enough information and can't take away our "homer" glasses enough to be completely neutral.

The league valued Brackett, he got the first job at his level that came open.  Do we think that Benning and Weisbrod will get jobs right away when they eventually get fired? (that isn't a slight on them, every GM gets fired eventually).  I don't think anyone can give Benning more than an average or below average rating rating at this point, he has presided over 5 years of the most futile results in the entire league. 

This summer/fall is what will make or break him.  If we make it a couple rounds in the playoffs and he manages to get us out from the cap hell he put us in... then he gets a lot of kudos for that.  If we get washed out by the Wild and don't make the playoffs and take a step back next season (with an unprotected 1st round pick sitting out there), then he needs to get fired next year.

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

12 minutes ago, Provost said:

The league valued Brackett, he got the first job at his level that came open.  Do we think that Benning and Weisbrod will get jobs right away when they eventually get fired? (that isn't a slight on them, every GM gets fired eventually).  I don't think anyone can give Benning more than an average or below average rating rating at this point, he has presided over 5 years of the most futile results in the entire league. 

Bingo.  BUT BUT BENNING DRAFTED PETEY AND HUGHES!!!!!!!!  GREATEST GM OF ALL TIME.   

• Wat 3

32 minutes ago, Vanuckles said:

Congratulations to Judd, wish him the best of luck.

BUT I still feel like this shouldn't have been allowed to happen before the 2020 draft is carried out. He knows all our draft pick preferences and the order of our draft picks... that's invaluable knowledge to a conference rival. The staff's contracts should have been extended, just like the players' contracts, until this season has concluded and the draft was conducted.

A lot of the scouts who had contracts expiring on 30 June saw their contracts extended to the end of this hockey season.  The Canucks decided to part ways.

17 minutes ago, Vanuckles said:

Congratulations to Judd, wish him the best of luck.

BUT I still feel like this shouldn't have been allowed to happen before the 2020 draft is carried out. He knows all our draft pick preferences and the order of our draft picks... that's invaluable knowledge to a conference rival. The staff's contracts should have been extended, just like the players' contracts, until this season has concluded and the draft was conducted.

If they do not value him enough to resign him, how much damage can he do?

13 minutes ago, Provost said:

According to the reporting he wasn't invited and taking part in the scouting meetings since the beginning of the year.

If that is the case, why the contract offer charade?

why not do the honorable thing and cut him loose in Janruary?