The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brian Burke

Rate this topic

cuporbust

Brian Burke   

125 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

One of the most arrogant sports executives in history. Highly overrated. Whenever Burke made a good move, it was a great move but that's it. If there's a player or two he really wanted, he would go great lengths to get the deal done. Not a strong judge of talent as he constantly overrated players, ie. Kevin Weekes, Goalie of the Future.

Burke was tolerable as Pat Quinn's assistant when he was the Canucks' vice president and director of hockey operations.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

No. Dislike Burke dating back to his Asst GM days(early 90's). Recall his arrogance listening to his wkly visits on Dan Russell's call in radio.

The antics he's pulled since the Aquas canned him, pretty much verified my earliest opinions on the guy.

Legendary poster "Wetcoaster" would often explain/lay out BB's dodgy history(particularly over the 90's). Enjoyed his posts/novellas on the subject.

I would say I respect his opinion on hockey related matters.  Name one other TV commentator with anywhere near his level of experience in various management/league roles?  Not saying he's always right (who is?) or that I always agree with the guy - but unlike many others in the business he's walked the walk when he makes comments about hockey matters and I've heard him own his bad moves several times on air so he doesn't dodge the heat so to speak.   I'm grateful, as a lifelong Canucks fan, that he got us the twins.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

1 minute ago, Tiger-Hearted said:

One of the most arrogant sports executives in history. Highly overrated. Whenever Burke made a good move, it was a great move but that's it. If there's a player or two he really wanted, he would go great lengths to get the deal done. Not a strong judge of talent as he constantly overrated players, ie. Kevin Weekes, Goalie of the Future.

Burke was tolerable as Pat Quinn's assistant when he was the Canucks' vice president and director of hockey operations.

He is so sure of himself,  which I find arrogant as well. Herd many takes that were proved to be idiotic. I remember this one the best.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

I would say I respect his opinion on hockey related matters.  Name one other TV commentator with anywhere near his level of experience in various management/league roles?  Not saying he's always right (who is?) or that I always agree with the guy - but unlike many others in the business he's walked the walk when he makes comments about hockey matters and I've heard him own his bad moves several times on air so he doesn't dodge the heat so to speak.   I'm grateful, as a lifelong Canucks fan, that he got us the twins.

I would too but I don't believe he is measured in his criticism/commentary and I think there is a showman mentality in him that wants attention and the cameras I believe feed into his narcissism. 

He does have experience, that much is granted but his track record is fairly spotty as well. Not exactly Millburyish but not too far away from a Peter Chiarelli. 

• Cheers 2

He thinks he is better than he is, but he was a solid GM and I like listening to him on the radio.  Sportsnet doesn't have a lot of good guys doing hits compared with TSN.

Tough to forgive him some of his shady leveraging of being in the league "old boys club" and having worked at the league head office to his advantage beyond what other GMs and teams could get.  Kind of hypocritical when he talks about being up front and honest as attributes.  Letting it publicly known that he happened to be flying to Sweden to be prepared to sign the Sedins the moment they became UFAs was one.  Getting the league to institute the cap recapture penalty retroactively to disadvantage other teams and possibly grease the wheels for getting Luongo cheaper in a trade.. etc. 

27 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

No. Dislike Burke dating back to his Asst GM days(early 90's). Recall his arrogance listening to his wkly visits on Dan Russell's call in radio.

The antics he's pulled since the Aquas canned him, pretty much verified my earliest opinions on the guy.

Legendary poster "Wetcoaster" would often explain/lay out BB's dodgy history(particularly over the 90's). Enjoyed his posts/novellas on the subject.

Wetcoaster was an idiot.  I went at it with him ( or her ) more then I can even remember.  "Lengendary" my butt. Probably why he or she was permanently banned.  Don't use wetcoaster as a reference point around here, trust me. 

Edited by cuporbust
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

Wetcoaster was an idiot.  I went at it with him ( or her ) more then I can even remember.  "Lengendary" my butt. Probably why he or she was permanently banned.  Don't use wetcoaster as a reference point around here, trust me. 

Well. the only posts of his I recalled were this very topic. Believe he was a lawyer(?) & I'd wondered if he & BB had any history of sketchy, acrimonious biz?

At any rate, seem to recall there was some colourful stuff...

1 minute ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Well. the only posts of his I recalled were this very topic. Believe he was a lawyer(?) & I'd wondered if he & BB had any history of sketchy, acrimonious biz?

At any rate, seem to recall there was some colourful stuff...

New Girl GIF

Just now, Slegr said:

On some levels I like Burke because he often has interesting things to say, even if I don’t agree.

But he did screw us big time in 2011, and don’t ever forget it. Rome’s four game suspension seemed insanely long, but made more sense when it was discovered by Mike Murphy's own admission that he consulted with then-Toronto Maple Leafs general manager Brian Burke, and of course former NHL disciplinarian, before arriving at his decision. Burke’s relationship with team owner Francesco Aquilini at that time was toxic. Perhaps just a little conflict of interest going on?

No kidding. This burned my bacon to a degree that burned down the house.

The league was rubbing it in our face, just how rigged their F***ing deck is. Karma will bite BB's *** some day for being a party to that underhanded garbage.

Don't always agree with what he says but he's always candid and more professional than most of his colleagues.  As for his tenure here, I'm not sure if anyone else would have had the balls to make the moves that got us both Sedins.  He also stopped Naslund from requesting a trade thanks to Keenan.  Burkie inherited an absolute dumpster fire here and brought the team back to respectability.  Overall, I'm a fan.

• Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

Didn't Burke have something to do with "the Luongo rule" (re: cap penalty)?

That said, he had the toughest job as GM of the Canucks.  No, not REMOTELY the same as the situation Benning inherited.  Burke had to rebuild/reload *AND* cut payroll by a signficant margin (owner didn't want or couldn't keep spending that kind of money while losing money).  Benning never had to deal with that (as we currently have an owner who is willing to spend ALOT of money).

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

I think Burke's ego is greater than his abilities as a GM. You give him a team with assets, he can wheel and deal with the best of them. However if you have a team that you have to rebuild, drafting isn't his strong suit. As a commentator, he's better than Old Man Cherry. The only reason I'd ever like him back in Vancouver is he would absolutely savage our media guys. A lot of his biggest coups was because of just good timing. Getting the Sedin's did take a lot of blarney, and dealing.

I'm still of the opinion he's 50% responsible for the Cup in Anaheim. The previous GM left him tons of assets to trade. He lucked out in Pronger wanting out of Edmonton, and having the resources to make a trade. And getting Neidermayer, was a mix of free agency, and two brothers wanting to win a cup together. 

(I suppose you could argue Selanne, and Kariya didn't make it work in Colorado, but Bourque worked out.)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I think Burke's ego is greater than his abilities as a GM. You give him a team with assets, he can wheel and deal with the best of them. However if you have a team that you have to rebuild, drafting isn't his strong suit. As a commentator, he's better than Old Man Cherry. The only reason I'd ever like him back in Vancouver is he would absolutely savage our media guys. A lot of his biggest coups was because of just good timing. Getting the Sedin's did take a lot of blarney, and dealing.

I'm still of the opinion he's 50% responsible for the Cup in Anaheim. The previous GM left him tons of assets to trade. He lucked out in Pronger wanting out of Edmonton, and having the resources to make a trade. And getting Neidermayer, was a mix of free agency, and two brothers wanting to win a cup together. 

(I suppose you could argue Selanne, and Kariya didn't make it work in Colorado, but Bourque worked out.)

I must admit , I actually do like listening to him because of his personality,  buy not so much for his takes most times. He is one of those old school guys u sort of love , but see that they have been passed by the evolution of the game.  

Edited by cuporbust
  • Cheers 1

48 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I have to give him props for unloading a washed up Federov (five+ million cap hit back when the cap was SIGNIFICANTLY lower) was a mastertroke.  Gives me hope Benning can find some sucker.....errrr fortunate team for him.

• Haha 1