The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brian Burke

Rate this topic

cuporbust

Brian Burke   

125 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

13 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

He lucked out in Pronger wanting out of Edmonton, and having the resources to make a trade. 

I didn't think one needed 'luck' to find guys (or their wives) wanting out of Edmonton lol....

• Cheers 2

17 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

No. Dislike Burke dating back to his Asst GM days(early 90's). Recall his arrogance listening to his wkly visits on Dan Russell's call in radio.

The antics he's pulled since the Aquas canned him, pretty much verified my earliest opinions on the guy.

Legendary poster "Wetcoaster" would often explain/lay out BB's dodgy history(particularly over the 90's). Enjoyed his posts/novellas on the subject.

Actually, it was Orca Bay, led by Stan McCammon, who let Burke go.

I did enjoy listening to Burke on Dan Russell's SportsTalk show. However, I was always thankful that he was an assistant GM and not the actual GM. I remember he called a fan who called in a "moron" right after Dan hung up. Very unprofessional.

Deep down, Burke is a good loving man but there's a reason why he's divorced from his previous ex-wife who had 4 children with him, including his late son Brendan, born here in Vancouver. Not an easy man to be around.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Overall, I think he has done good work, and I enjoy hearing him on radio.  He made a lot of mistakes, took some things way too personal. Maybe hindsight is seen through rose coloured glasses.  His inclusion on the jury in deciding Rome's fate in 2011, was awful, with him just being fired by the Canucks. And I did not appreciate his "my sh.. don't stink" level of arrogance. And yes he stood up for his good players, but he also demeaned and insulted other players. 

But on balance, (he did get us the Sedins) I can forgive him for past wrongs, and do enjoy his takes on 650.  Seems to always say something surprising even now in a story he is telling.

Edited by kilgore
  • Vintage 1

Everyone has some garbo takes. So I don't hold Burkies misses against him, just like I'd hope people here wouldn't hold my garbage takes against me. Lol. He has passion about the sport and a lot of knowledge. He is by no means perfect, but I do respect his knowledge. I was also worried about Hughes' size at the draft. So again, not something I'd say "wow look at that dumb take." Guy is human like the rest of us. Right sometimes, wrong sometimes. But overall I think he is one of the better media personalities. He's not a guy that'll say "Canucks looking to trade Boeser" or something equally idiotic. So he is not a guy I have near the top of my "don't listen to" list.

• Vintage 1

On 7/14/2020 at 10:47 AM, Tiger-Hearted said:

I did enjoy listening to Burke on Dan Russell's SportsTalk show. However, I was always thankful that he was an assistant GM and not the actual GM. I remember he called a fan who called in a "moron" right after Dan hung up.

I think it was the Pauser...lol

• Haha 3

I'm one of the 82% that voted of liking his takes and one of the one the guys that voted he was a good gm.

His takes I like because he speaks it as it is, as a former GM.  It nice to see what GM's think of certain prospects and how things are in general.  His opinion is the opinion of a GM in his case a former GM but none the less, he's been in this business for a very long time.  So I like it. Do we have to agree with him? of course not, but that's just his opinon as a GM.

Was he a good gm here? yes he was.  the record speaks for itself.  He dumped bad contracts, stabilized the team and got it better.   He is hard nosed and arrogant as hell probably why he's not hired as a GM or an executive role at this point.   Turning point trades in my opinion was turning Bure and Mogilny into Jovonovski and Morrison who were also core parts of the team back in that Canuck Era.  Jovo played an important part in our blue line, and Morrison was the place holder until the Sedins were ready.   Lets not even forget getting both twins, he made some bad moves too like selling too many 2nd round picks and having too much trust in Dan Cloutier.  

His draft record was ok, it did consist of both Sedins, Jarko Rutuu was a good pesky player, Artem Chubarov was good but he bailed quickly.  Under him, the best players we drafted were the Sedins, Bieksa and Ryan Kesler, also key guys for our team in the late 2000's early 2010's.  R.J Umberger was also a solid draft pick up but Burke pissed him away.   Bryan Allen was not the best pick at 4th, Nathan Smith at 23 when Brad Boyes and Steve Ott was still available was another horrible choice.

overall a good gm.  

• Upvote 3
  • Vintage 1

Always liked him.

tells it like it is and doesn’t care if he hurts some feelings.

sticks to his guns but still admits when he’s wrong. 
a lot of people confuse arrogance and someone who actually stand behind what they says. 
no sugar coating with Burkie.

On 7/13/2020 at 5:29 PM, Slegr said:

On some levels I like Burke because he often has interesting things to say, even if I don’t agree.

But he did screw us big time in 2011, and don’t ever forget it. Rome’s four game suspension seemed insanely long, but made more sense when it was discovered by Mike Murphy's own admission that he consulted with then-Toronto Maple Leafs general manager Brian Burke, and of course former NHL disciplinarian, before arriving at his decision. Burke’s relationship with team owner Francesco Aquilini at that time was toxic. Perhaps just a little conflict of interest going on?

Besides Burkes conflict of interest in that matter,  was that the NHL hockey operations was another former Canuck in Colin Cambell, who's son just happened to be playing on the Bruins, What are the odds off those 3 situations being tied to a fractional late hit from Rome, on a already injured Canucks team (watch the Raymond hit, you can see he tried to hurt him and nothing done on that either by the NHL)

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

Besides Burkes conflict of interest in that matter,  was that the NHL hockey operations was another former Canuck in Colin Cambell, who's son just happened to be playing on the Bruins, What are the odds off those 3 situations being tied to a fractional late hit from Rome, on a already injured Canucks team (watch the Raymond hit, you can see he tried to hurt him and nothing done on that either by the NHL)

lol the guy who handed the suspension Mike Murphy, ex canucks coach who was fired

46 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

Brian Burke had a blueprint for player suspensions, and the NHL continued to use his blue print well into 2011.  Larry Murphy decided to give him 4 games, because the old way was "Cambell's" style and Murphy had his.  What an asshole.

Brian Burke went on air earlier this season and mentioned about how Murphy with a clear guideline still went against it.  Brian Burke very much said it was very hard to see the twins not win the cup.  This is on record so Burke was actually polling for the Canucks in 2011.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 7/14/2020 at 1:47 PM, Tiger-Hearted said:

Actually, it was Orca Bay, led by Stan McCammon, who let Burke go.

I did enjoy listening to Burke on Dan Russell's SportsTalk show. However, I was always thankful that he was an assistant GM and not the actual GM. I remember he called a fan who called in a "moron" right after Dan hung up. Very unprofessional.

Deep down, Burke is a good loving man but there's a reason why he's divorced from his previous ex-wife who had 4 children with him, including his late son Brendan, born here in Vancouver. Not an easy man to be around.

Careful what you say.  Brian was absolutely supportive of his son and a huge advocate for tolerance before it even became a thing - and the  NHL and hockey universe is still a little backwards when it comes to homophobia despite appearances.   Brendans  dying wish was that Brian and Kevin made up - and he called Lowe right away and it stopped that entire media circus.   Lowe and Burke hugged on TV the next time they met after Brendan passed and are apparently good friends now.   It just goes to show that these guys are human and personally in a sport that is often too stiff I welcome some humanity to it.   So what he’s divorced- he’s been through a lot and had a lot of tragedy and success in his life.   Can’t be easy constantly being under a microscope.   Bet a lot of us would have done a lot worse under the circumstances.   He’s still around - still working and still one of the better hockey people we have and his knowledge of the sport is at a level I could only wish to acquire.  Without his abilities and background 

we’d never had Bure (even though he found the document that said he’d played enough games and was fair game - but then advised Quin as his right hand man not to pick him as he was “that’s a small body gentleman, a small body” ha ha.   Deep down I highly doubt any of us has the proper knowledge as to why he’s divorced and that too personal and has no relevance to the thread.  Losing his son changed him I’d say that though.   And he stood by him like a great father the entire time despite all his bravado and testosterone.  

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

12 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

Brian Burke had a blueprint for player suspensions, and the NHL continued to use his blue print well into 2011.  Larry Murphy decided to give him 4 games, because the old way was "Cambell's" style and Murphy had his.  What an asshole.

Brian Burke went on air earlier this season and mentioned about how Murphy with a clear guideline still went against it.  Brian Burke very much said it was very hard to see the twins not win the cup.  This is on record so Burke was actually polling for the Canucks in 2011.

Watching him beam positive thoughts and accolades to JB for signing Myers at a great cap hit last season  pretty much sealed the deal for me - even at the draft I could tell he was rooting for us too - didn’t like the pick - but also explained why which made sense from his viewpoint but if he didn’t care he wouldn’t have said sh!t about it.    He’s got Canuck blood still in veins and won’t be rooting for anyone else if we make it past Calgary this year.  

• Like 1

I find that he really softened/changed after the death of his son.

And he knows one helluva lot about hockey...I totally respect his opinion.

No one gets it right all the time but people who learn from mistakes and do evolve are worth re-evaluating with that.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

On 7/14/2020 at 10:47 AM, Tiger-Hearted said:

Not sure how you can evaluate him personally or offer reasons why his marriage broke down??  

Many people are divorced and there are always reasons why...thing is, they were smart enough TO divorce rather than stay together and force something...especially when kids are involved and will sense the tension and discomfort.

"Not an easy man to be around" needs an explanation of when you've been around him in person?    If you haven't, you don't qualify to make this statement.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Brian Burke is one of the very few guys where I'll actually click on a video just to get his take. You can agree or disagree, like him or hate him but the guy speaks his mind and isn't afraid to say the emperor is naked.

• Like 3

On 7/22/2020 at 11:15 PM, Squamfan said:

lol the guy who handed the suspension Mike Murphy, ex canucks coach who was fired

Murphy as never fired by the Canucks. After 2 seasons as an assistant in Vancouver, he was assigned to be head coach of their farm team in Milwaukee in 1990-91.  He resigned after that season to join the Leafs organization.  He was replaced in Milwaukee by Jack McIlhargey.

Edited by skeena1
  • Thanks 1

Really I don’t know why anyone would say he wasn’t a good GM.   He did a great job of finishing up the WCE team (Thanks to Keenan, as soon as he got the keys to the kingdom Linden trade - HHOF worthy one as far as legs go ) and assembled most of the key parts of the Sedin team.  He also fired Keenan after a few questionable moves both as a coach and things like exposing Walker so they could keep the late great almost done Peter Zezel.   That relationship didn’t last long.   Burke was part of the Canucks organization for almost a decade before he even became GM, was also Quins right arm man.  Really if you think about it - spent more time with us then anyone and had his fingerprints on  3 decades plus worth of players.   Can’t say that about anyone else.   His biggest failure was not trading Cloutier or making him a back-up and finding a capable vet to go with come playoff time.  Cloutier dismal .875 sp is the worst all-time for goalies who’ve played at least 25 games.   Fine in the regular season...then something always went terribly wrong.  

And he’s a little endearing - tie off buttons opened - sleeves rolled up - disheveled hair and maybe a glow from a booze buzz that keeps him going (Irish and all ha ha)....like he always worked his hardest for us.. which I do believe he did even if he seemed to love the camera (and thank you Lowe for your great rivalry against Burke - hilarious). 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2