The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Wild @ Canucks, Sunday August 2 @ 7:30 pm

Rate this topic

Dumb Nuck

10 hours ago, Dumb Nuck said:

As excited as I am about hockey, you’re way off.

Dumb Nuck what happens if he gets us past two rounds?  Is he still a terrible coach or is it just because the team is so way much better then it was a year or two ago and with a better coach we should be winning cups already?

6 hours ago, mll said:

I’m honestly surprised how excited I am to see a GDT!  I love hockey but Covid has really taken the joy away more than I expected. Look at that forward group. I expect to see Boes and Toffoli switch spots at some point (just a hunch based on previous chemistry not a real complaint) but WOW!  Top 6 will not be easily contained and the bottom six could be a real surprise to a few people. Gaud, Virtannen and Rouss all have the ability to skate, get under opposition skin and make some plays.  While the Beagle line doesn’t really impress in terms of quality per dollar it is a solid fourth line. The only glaring gap I see is on the defensive side. That third pairing will need some heavy sheltering and hopefully guys like beagle and Sutter can bail them out a bit. 

go Canaucks Go!  Thank you for giving me something to look forward to again during our “new normal”. Can’t wait to see some hockey again

And worse case scenario is if we actually lose, we still win, a playoff style 5 game series will give our young guys a taste of how hard it actually is and the team with that experience together might just build something a huge step past that old broken identity after 2011

We will get a D upgrade next and add that to our firepower as it is already will be a lot of fun to watch!

Anyway, I'm stoked to see what this team can do as it is and hope we go far and JB gets a pat on the back he seriously deserves.. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Toyotasfan said:

I can see MacEwan getting into this series,especially with Ferland still not healthy. Minnesota’s 3rd line has 2 heavy hitters with Greenway and  Foligno, at some point the Canucks will have to address them.

Greenway on the 1st line.  Here are the lines at practice now for the Wild.  It's the same lines that Evason was trying to use to finish the season.  Their only question mark is who will be in net.  

Greenway Staal Fiala

Parise ErikssonEk Kunin

Foligno Galchenyuk Zuccarello

Donato Koivu Hartman

Suter Spurgeon

Dumba Brodin

Soucy Hunt

• Cheers 2

7 hours ago, mll said:

Greenway on the 1st line.  Here are the lines at practice now for the Wild.  It's the same lines that Evason was trying to use to finish the season.  Their only question mark is who will be in net.  

Greenway Staal Fiala

Parise ErikssonEk Kunin

Foligno Galchenyuk Zuccarello

Donato Koivu Hartman

Suter Spurgeon

Dumba Brodin

Soucy Hunt

That’s a very deep team.  Scoring throughout the lineup - no real star power but a lot of vets who used to be stars at one point or another and even guys like Hartman have been around the block a few times.   Kunin is the only new kid on the block really a lot of veteran experience.  Thankfully we have a fair amount of that too and only LE and Beagle as over 30 guys... we definitely have the edge on youth and high end talent although Staal should never be overlooked....imagine if EP scored 100 points his sophomore season ... defensively is pretty close edge MIN but not by much.   Goaltending edge Vancouver by a good margin as long as Markstrom is in net.   I think we are going to get up quick in the series ... then things will settle down and get a little nasty and they will claw back...am stoked there are no shootouts - it could be the difference maker in the series starting with game one right on through ... nobody is predicting MIN will beat us but I do think that unless we come out guns a blazing it won’t be an easy or quick series either .... 

Edited by IBatch

10 hours ago, Chris12345 said:

I woke up today! 

Beer

Glad I’m not the only one ...if sailors used to get 4Ls a day on single rations who are we to judge right?  Beer is safer to drink then water still isn’t it?  Not sure but just in case will have to stick to what worked for the Royal Navy for 500 years or so...

• Cheers 3
  • Haha 1

On 7/13/2020 at 8:31 PM, fanfor42 said:

Boeser gonna gave a chip on his shoulder over all the trade crap. He's gonna play great in this series!

I agree, I think Brock will be all business in the Q round, and beyond. He's healthy and has impressed the coach the most coming back. Can't wait to see him score with that shot again. Assisted by Hughes and Pettersson of course :)

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

I think a key to winning this series will be the willingness to block shots. Especially our forwards against Suter. Players like Beagle, Roussel, Motte, Sutter are going to be invaluable in this series. 

For sure - the vets on our team will finally get a chance to shine and earn their paycheques (Sutter especially).   Beagle’s, Pearson, Toffoli’s and JT Millers experiences will be very welcomed and help keep the team level. Even Myers ... he was a beast at times for WNP recently.   .5 PGP or their about with timely scoring.   This is a chance that I hope they all know might not come around for another two years.    Our depth won’t be better then it is now for two more seasons, maybe more.   The deeper we go - the better our chances.  If they can focus on 110% each game we could still be playing in September...

It helps that so many guys are playing for a contract too.  So many storylines ... is this JVs chance to shine like many (myself included) hope?  Will EP and BB be able to handle the extra attention and physicality (and QHs but I’m not as worried about him despite his size ... something about him just had a little pit bull in their somewhere or the “it” factor ... Theo Fleury/Ronning jam)?   Who will be the hero’s and who will be the goat(s)?  Feels a lot like the Canucks team from the 89-92 period ... both in that the potential is there and that the teams structure is about to morph into something special.  A little like Luongo’s first year too. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

I agree, I think Brock will be all business in the Q round, and beyond. He's healthy and has impressed the coach the most coming back. Can't wait to see him score with that shot again. Assisted by Hughes and Pettersson of course :)

He’s happy to be back playing with Horvat too...says they play a similar game and he had his most successful season with him so far (and now we have Pearson on the left side which makes that a better line then it was too). Our top six is top ten league wide ... both lines make fantasy pools top ten - and that means they are predicting some staying power too - third round level predictions really.   You don’t pick a teams play even if they have one of the best in the league unless you think they can make it past a few rounds right?

We had multiple players picked in the top 100...EP at 27 (ahead of Scheiefle and Wheeler) Miller at 38 two spots behind Tavares, BB at 56 between Hall and Benn, and Horvat and TT ranked 69 and 70, just before Toews....Our fan base hilariously undervalues what Brock Boeser means to this team and this is just another example of how experts feel about him.   Goal scoring comes at a premium come playoff time  - and I’m sure Brock is both ready to play and will make an immediate impact.   We are a dark horse that has been noticed league wide - and this is just another representation of that.  And the best part is we have 12 forwards that can and will chip in ... this list only included forwards. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, IBatch said:

He’s happy to be back playing with Horvat too...says they play a similar game and he had his most successful season with him so far (and now we have Pearson on the left side which makes that a better line then it was too). Our top six is top ten league wide ... both lines make fantasy pools top ten - and that means they are predicting some staying power too - third round level predictions really.   You don’t pick a teams play even if they have one of the best in the league unless you think they can make it past a few rounds right?

We had multiple players picked in the top 100...EP at 27 (ahead of Scheiefle and Wheeler) Miller at 38 two spots behind Tavares, BB at 56 between Hall and Benn, and Horvat and TT ranked 69 and 70, just before Toews....Our fan base hilariously undervalues what Brock Boeser means to this team and this is just another example of how experts feel about him.   Goal scoring comes at a premium come playoff time  - and I’m sure Brock is both ready to play and will make an immediate impact.   We are a dark horse that has been noticed league wide - and this is just another representation of that.  And the best part is we have 12 forwards that can and will chip in ... this list only included forwards. 

Thank you. 

• Cheers 1