The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Wild @ Canucks, Sunday August 2 @ 7:30 pm

Rate this topic

Dumb Nuck

I watched all the Canucks vs Wild condensed YouTube videos from this year. I would post them but unfortunately they’re pretty boring games. I now have to admit that this short series could be a very, very close one. I thought for sure Canucks would walk all over the Wild but now I real think we will see Canucks, Wild Go the full 5 games.

There also is the Playoff energy that is an unknown factor , but I do feel Canucks will be winning in the energy department of the series.

Just want too see Canucks playing playoff style hockey it will be fun, but it will be stressful to watch close games.

Go Canucks Go

21 hours ago, IBatch said:

That’s a very deep team.  Scoring throughout the lineup - no real star power but a lot of vets who used to be stars at one point or another and even guys like Hartman have been around the block a few times.   Kunin is the only new kid on the block really a lot of veteran experience.  Thankfully we have a fair amount of that too and only LE and Beagle as over 30 guys... we definitely have the edge on youth and high end talent although Staal should never be overlooked....imagine if EP scored 100 points his sophomore season ... defensively is pretty close edge MIN but not by much.   Goaltending edge Vancouver by a good margin as long as Markstrom is in net.   I think we are going to get up quick in the series ... then things will settle down and get a little nasty and they will claw back...am stoked there are no shootouts - it could be the difference maker in the series starting with game one right on through ... nobody is predicting MIN will beat us but I do think that unless we come out guns a blazing it won’t be an easy or quick series either .... 

Kunin, Greenway and Donato were still waiver free to start the season.  The Wild are a veteran team but with a fair bit of youth in their lineup.  Fiala was drafted the same year as Virtanen and might have just figured things out.  Eriksson Ek was their "should have drafted Boeser" but their fans are finding a new appreciation for his game as he is emerging as a top shutdown C that is just so hard to play against.

Mike Kelly using Sportlogiq's tracking technology has the Wild as one of the best defensive teams in the league while the Canucks were one of the worst.  He says the Wild were sunk by the worse goaltending in the league and it's not even close.  He considers Markstrom elite and says he should be on every GMs Vezina ballot.

The Canucks led the league in cycle goals but are terrible off the rush (only Detroit scored less rush goals).  The Wild have allowed the 3rd fewest cycle scoring chances against but have allowed the 4th most goals against with how poor goaltending has been.  The Canucks might have less scoring chances this series with how strong the Wild are defensively, but have a better chance of their shots going in given the Wild's goalie situation.  Kelly even suggests to start Kakhonen.

Markstrom on the other hand is saving the Canucks nearly 1 goal above expectation every 2 games.

Posted those clips in the thread "abundance of options vs the Wild".

Edited by mll
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, HockeyHarry said:

I watched all the Canucks vs Wild condensed YouTube videos from this year. I would post them but unfortunately they’re pretty boring games. I now have to admit that this short series could be a very, very close one. I thought for sure Canucks would walk all over the Wild but now I real think we will see Canucks, Wild Go the full 5 games.

There also is the Playoff energy that is an unknown factor , but I do feel Canucks will be winning in the energy department of the series.

Just want too see Canucks playing playoff style hockey it will be fun, but it will be stressful to watch close games.

Go Canucks Go

Yah I remember those games, I almost fell asleep during them.  Honestly I’m not scared at all by the Wild because it always felt like the Canucks were in control of those games even though I think they lost one.  Canucks in 3, maybe 4 games.

• Cheers 1

On 7/14/2020 at 6:11 AM, IBatch said:

Dumb Nuck what happens if he gets us past two rounds?  Is he still a terrible coach or is it just because the team is so way much better then it was a year or two ago and with a better coach we should be winning cups already?

The latter.

• Thanks 1

2 week and 2 day countdown. Has Leivo been practicing ??

Lets goo stacked depth!! :towel:

(excuse my winger sides)

(3rd and 4th line have many combos I think can be made)

boes - petey - miller

toffoli - bo - pearson

sutter - gaud - virt

mac - beagle - motte - leivo - ferland - roussel - eriksson

edler - tanev

hughes - myers

stecher - fanta - benn - raff - 

marky

demko

2 hours ago, canuck2288 said:

Like Jake on pp2, creates board pressure and also a net driving presence 

prefer Edler on pp2 D

not so sure about Pearson in pp2 but may have to go with him if Ferland is not ready 

Edler wasn’t doing much of anything when he had the chance ... plus he’s more rested...Myers gave the unit a boost but it faded so who knows ..  Myers  and QHs finally gave Edper and Tanev a break especially on special teams .. best part for once neither was out for significant time - don’t think that’s a coincidence and let’s face it Edler has never been a great PP guy.  

Agree either Ferland or Pearson for second unit ... Pearson should do fine 

Edited by IBatch

On 7/17/2020 at 3:48 PM, canuckster19 said:

So if Markström has a bad game one do we go with Demko in game 2? There isn't a lot of room for error and second chances.

Markstrom will play unless he’s terrible two games in a row ....: 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Edler wasn’t doing much of anything when he had the chance ... plus he’s more rested...Myers gave the unit a boost but it faded so who knows ..  Myers  and QHs finally gave Edper and Tanev a break especially on special teams .. best part for once neither was out for significant time - don’t think that’s a coincidence and let’s face it Edler has never been a great PP guy.  

Agree either Ferland or Pearson for second unit ... Pearson should do fine 

Yeah, the rest is key. Both Tanev and Edler rest while the power-play is on, take the hard defensive responsibilities outside of that, and then lead the PK. It's nice when your deployment works out that perfectly. Also, helped massively by the fact we have forwards capable of playing the other point on both PP's.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Vintage 1

18 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yeah, the rest is key. Both Tanev and Edler rest while the power-play is on, take the hard defensive responsibilities outside of that, and then lead the PK. It's nice when your deployment works out that perfectly. Also, helped massively by the fact we have forwards capable of playing the other point on both PP's.

Our PP was very good most of the year - with both TT and BB it should be even better.   If MIN can’t play on the right side of the line (and I think these games the refs won’t be too whistle happy) if it’s called like a regular season game our forwards - especially EP should draw enough penalties to make a big difference.   Have high hopes for Myers too ...he was very good for WNP and quite productive as well - he could be one of those guys like Babych who amps his game up.  Same with some of our forwards (quite a few actually) ...  glad we have hockey back soon!

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, peaches5 said:

If Dubnyk plays like he has all year then this series will go to Vancouver. He has been pretty awful this year.The Wild are where they are because he couldn't make a save if his life depended on it. 

don't write them off so easy.