The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Wild @ Canucks, Sunday August 2 @ 7:30 pm

Rate this topic

Dumb Nuck

12 hours ago, iceman64 said:

Beer schmeer... Lol. Just give me hockey! 

Maybe one of these days you can take the golf club and ball out of the rink and replace them with a Stanley Cup instead, plus put it on my grave stone because if we do win one, I'll die of shock... Just saying...

The day we win the cup both my avatar and signature will be gone and I’ll be ecstatic to get rid of them.

• Cheers 2

I caught 1 lengthy post for Sid on here....Is Jake Virtanen really having a poor showing during this restart training camp?? If so, have to think he is trade bait to add in a deal to dump so cap space...If that kid hasn't learnt by now he can't take being a pro athlete seriously then I think his days as a Canuck are numbered. Like the kid, always hoped he would pan out to be a top 6 scoring force who played with an edge, but if the above is true he is  not taking this serious enough.

Many young players rely on skill, but maturing can take time and sometimes it takes a trade for a player to "get it".

Regardless, happy hockey is back and looking forward to the "qualifying round" to try and get into the playoffs

• Vintage 1

21 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

I caught 1 lengthy post for Sid on here....Is Jake Virtanen really having a poor showing during this restart training camp?? If so, have to think he is trade bait to add in a deal to dump so cap space...If that kid hasn't learnt by now he can't take being a pro athlete seriously then I think his days as a Canuck are numbered. Like the kid, always hoped he would pan out to be a top 6 scoring force who played with an edge, but if the above is true he is  not taking this serious enough.

Many young players rely on skill, but maturing can take time and sometimes it takes a trade for a player to "get it".

Regardless, happy hockey is back and looking forward to the "qualifying round" to try and get into the playoffs

Reminds me of the talks before training camp, for the actual start of the season back in September... everybody was 'reporting' that Jake was having a poor camp and he was out of shape and this and that, it feels like he will always have this microscope on him from the media, since he is a local boy and 6th overall pick. 

He ended up having a pretty solid year and showed signs of improvement and that he could become a consistent NHL player in his prime, our GM has had plenty of patience for him throughout the past 4 or 5 years and I cant honestly see them giving up on Jake unless there is a trade offer they cant refuse on the table. 

Just my opinion. 

• Vintage 1

On 7/21/2020 at 3:18 AM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Miller-Pettersson-Toffoli

Pearson-Horvat-Boeser

Roussel-Gaudette-[3RW]

Motte-Beagle-[4RW]

Edler-Myers

Hughes-Tanev

Fantenberg-Stecher

Markstrom

Demko

(And possibly even more interesting to see what happens on these boards if game 1 of the play-in opens with Jake out of the lineup, and Eriksson in. :o :angry: :frantic:)

I think everything you've said in your post is dead on. Not sure if the position races part was your own commentary or his, but I agree with all that too. That's a lot of info to be in 100% agreement with so it is worth a call out because it is a rarity.

Green wants guys who push themselves and claw for the win. A top-form Jake could be a HUGE asset during these playoffs. But if he doesn't have the drive or ability, it would be horrible, but I would accept sitting him out.

...but for LE? Sorry, but while being defensively responsible I see little upside to his game, and he is the bloody poster boy for not getting his hands dirty. You can't rip on Jake for not giving it his all and insert Loui who demonstrates a similar lack of desire.

Unless of course, he decided he actually wants to play hockey. If so, a motivated Loui could not be that bad. I guess he has done well in camp, but that's camp.

This series (and the playoffs if we make it) will hinge on guys stepping up and leaving it all on the ice. If any player is not on the same page, I don't want them out there.

3 hours ago, Laheys Liquor said:

Reminds me of the talks before training camp, for the actual start of the season back in September... everybody was 'reporting' that Jake was having a poor camp and he was out of shape and this and that, it feels like he will always have this microscope on him from the media, since he is a local boy and 6th overall pick. 

He ended up having a pretty solid year and showed signs of improvement and that he could become a consistent NHL player in his prime, our GM has had plenty of patience for him throughout the past 4 or 5 years and I cant honestly see them giving up on Jake unless there is a trade offer they cant refuse on the table. 

Just my opinion. 

Yeah, all this conjecture based on little to no evidence and no confirmation whatsoever from the Canucks is silly and shortsighted. People are now coaching based on tweets. :picard:

• Like 2

On 7/21/2020 at 10:58 PM, ilduce39 said:

At this point I tend to agree with this... Green is always more stick than carrot with Jake to get him going so I wouldn’t read too much into it just yet.  He’s still the most dynamic guy in the bottom 6. (Edit) and showed up in games this year, not just camps.

I think it’s the lineup Drance/Sid have posed with Jake and Sutter in until injuries or after an exhibition or two. Roussel has apparently been taking reps with the PK group... and a healthy ready to go 18/19 Rou is 100% in the lineup. 

Miller-Petey-Toffoli

Pearson-Bo-Brock

Roussel-Gaudette-Virtanen

Motte-Beagle-Sutter

I do think it’ll be a short leash for Jake/Sutter if they’re dinged up or play poorly through the exhibitions.  Mac and even Loui have had strong camps and playoffs are Ferland’s time.

To be fair Jake needs a good whack with a stick. I say this as a fan of his that thinks it is a shame to watch him squander his talent. 

Comes into camp out of shape repeatedly. 
Still hasn’t learned to play a 200 ft game or PK which really limits his utility. 

He can bring a lot and has a game built for the playoffs but his inability to become a professional is what has held him back.

He may start as 3rw but will likely have a short leash. Wouldn’t be surprised to see him sit for Mac either.  

I think Ferland will likely start out of the lineup as he still doesn’t seem to be in game shape but I don’t think that will last long. 
Sutter is 4rw if he can stay healthy for more than 5min. He is better in RW, is another face off guy and kills penalties. 

Good chance there will be a lot of pulls and sprains so people will rotate in and stay in when they earn it. Then again we could be out in 3 games. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, DrJockitch said:

To be fair Jake needs a good whack with a stick. I say this as a fan of his that thinks it is a shame to watch him squander his talent. 

Still hasn’t learned to play a 200 ft game or PK which really limits his utility. 

He can bring a lot and has a game built for the playoffs but his inability to become a professional is what has held him back.

He may start as 3rw but will likely have a short leash. Wouldn’t be surprised to see him sit for Mac either.  

I think Ferland will likely start out of the lineup as he still doesn’t seem to be in game shape but I don’t think that will last long. 
Sutter is 4rw if he can stay healthy for more than 5min. He is better in RW, is another face off guy and kills penalties. 

Good chance there will be a lot of pulls and sprains so people will rotate in and stay in when they earn it. Then again we could be out in 3 games. 

Can you link to anything that shows he is out of shape?  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

7 hours ago, stawns said:

Can you link to anything that shows he is out of shape?  

I asked the same thing on HF. I never received any but I got several replies about Benning sucking since he wasted a chance to draft wee Willy. Also without asking, I was told Jake should be move for a 4th or 5th round pick.

I'm not sure how Jake having a bad game and being called out by Bo, morphed into he's out of shape and will be replaced by Zac.

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

4 hours ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

I asked the same thing on HF. I never received any but I got several replies about Benning sucking since he wasted a chance to draft wee Willy. Also without asking, I was told Jake should be move for a 4th or 5th round pick.

I'm not sure how Jake having a bad game and being called out by Bo, morphed into he's out of shape and will be replaced by Zac.

Yeah, I think people are just putting all the Jake grievances out all at once right now.  I’ve also not seen any report saying Jake showed up out of shape for this.  That was last training camp and he ended up starting the season well / had a career year.

Im going off of Drance but plenty of talk about how he didn’t look great early but has recently picked it up.  It’s usually contrasted with MacEwen playing well / overall competition so some speculation that his spot could be in jeopardy.  

It’s all just talk at the moment... while Green DOES have a ton of decent options the bottom line is no one in the bottom 6 matches Jake’s offensive ability.  I’d still be surprised to see him sit.

edit: and I haven’t checked HF in over a year but nice to hear they’re still batpoop crazy. You’d think after 5 years of futility trying to get JB fired they’d knock it off and just enjoy Petey/Hughes and co.

Edited by ilduce39
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

13 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

I agree he needs some stick but TG IMO knows how to push his buttons and has really brought him along, albeit slowly.

I try not to read too much into reports about his camps... he’s obviously more effective in games for whatever reason.  I do agree it’d be nice if he added some PK to the resume.  He hits and can generate turnovers but is far from a shutdown guy. I’d also like to see him agitate a little more even if he doesn’t necessarily drop the mitts. 

Anyways, it’s a nice benefit to have guys like Roussel/Virtanen/Ferland/Motte/MacEwen to fill out that bottom 6.  Potential for lots of energy and timely goals.  

3 hours ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

Earlier this week Batchelor and Dayal seemed to imply that he didn't come ready to play.  Dayal says you can't skate yourself into shape.  MacEwen has looked good and has chemistry with Roussel-Gaudette.  For them it looked like Virtanen could be on the outside and had to play catchup.

Batchelor earlier this week said he wouldn't be surprised if Virtanen does not make the game 1 lineup with Dayal concurring the next day.  Dayal was softer in his stance as he does believe that Green would like the speed/skillset but compared to others he was not sharp.  He was arguing that you can't consider this like a September camp where players have more time to figure things out.

Harman Dayal earlier this week:  https://www.sportsnet.ca/650/sportsnets-starting-lineup/harman-dayal-no-playing-way-shape/

Green yesterday: "I'm not going to be able to wait for players to be ready to play... That's just the way it is."

Batchelor later that day at the 3:20 mark thinks Green was pointing mostly at Virtanen with that quote:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/650/reach-deep/brendan-batchelor-trust-strong-coaching-key-heading-playoffs/

• Cheers 1