The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Jack Rathbone

Been a huge fan of Rathbone's since 2017. Honestly surprised he signed. Thought he would sign in 2021. That puck-moving ability on the left side (Hughes, Rathbone, Juolevi) is going to be elite in a few years!

Edited by Darkstar
  • Cheers 3

3 minutes ago, Sikhguy23 said:

why did most of his draft picks fail before Benning got here??? What about the gillis era?

Let's not get into this again in this thread. Got to keep the positive vibes in this thread and not let the unnecessary drama creep in.

Apparently the whole process of getting Jack signed was positive. Very fitting to Jack's character and what this team has been building.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

32 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Can someone tell me about this guy? I saw his dB stats, just want to know if this guy is as good as the excitement that some of you have for him...

Best comparison for play style is Cale Makar. He likely won't be as good as Makar, but they play a similar game.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

Excellent news. Not that there was any doubt...

I wonder if the Canucks are bold enough to lead the charge with a new-age defense.

Hughes has been a revelation, and Rathbone is cut from a similar cloth. Nobody skates quite like Quinn, but the overall approach to the game is similar enough.

I don't have much of problem with Hughes, Rathbone, and Rafferty in the lineup as OFDs. They all skate well enough and defend adequately enough to survive.

Could we realistically fit Juolevi in there too? Considering he is not the shut down guy people initially pegged him as... but he is a very good first-pass and a deceptive shooter.

It could be ugly with all those Dmen thinking offense first, or it could make us the most explosive young team in the league.

I just really love that we're a young, fast, skilled team. I think it would be pretty bold to run with a young, fast, skilled D corps.

F Yeah!!  This is a really big deal.  Rathbone is a legit prospect, who could get NHL time as early as next season.  He was also a bigger risk to go UFA as he could do so after his Junior year.  Super stoked to have him on board,  has potential to be a big part of our future.  The more productive ELC's we can get on the roster are going to go a long way during our cap crunch.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Darkstar said:

Best comparison for play style is Cale Makar. He likely won't be as good as Makar, but they play a similar game.

Wouldn't that be awesome!!!  I also hear more like a Tory Krug... Also great if he turns out close to a Krug type of player.  Really amazing how our defence as a reault of this signing, may not be the weakest part of this team for much longer... Especially the left side.  If Juolevi can turn into a decent top four or high end 3rd pairing defencemen, though disappointing, would keep our left side competitive for close to a decade.

On 6/19/2020 at 11:49 AM, Vanuckles said:

Fair enough. But just unfounded speculation no? Personally, I'm not ready to trade him based on that. He's not that type of person. I'm willing to bet money that he's not waiting until he hits FA and bolting. I believe the reason he's holding out is because he's not sure whether or not the AHL will actually play out the 20-21' season next year. It's tough competition to crack the Canucks lineup, and if he signs a professional contract he can't return to NCAA. That means he could potentially sit idle next year and he doesn't want to do that so he's waiting to see how things unfold. Smart plan imo. I will try to find the source later but I believe it might have been an interview of his or something coming out of Canucks camp... I'm at work now so cannot research but will try to find later. it's worth noting that Utica is also fairly close to his family.

@qwijibo

Edited by Vanuckles
  • Cheers 1

Looks like Rathone has been assured of his chances to crack the lineup next season!! Pretty sure he'll be taking Benn's or Fantenburg's spot... 

But then he's a smallish D-man... is it even possible we'll keep 3 smallish D-men on roster: Rathbone, Stecher and Hughes? Could this be the last season for Stecher? 

Anyhow.. I'm just excited as you all to have a talented offensive D-man with great potential!! Let's hope Benning will make the right moves to clear our cap room for next season without sacrificing Boeser!! 

19 minutes ago, drdeath said:

the-hype-train-has-no-brakes.jpg

Choo Choo!

Haha, guilty as charged. But I can’t help it. Been banging the drum for quite a while on this kid, and I’m elated that he’s finally signed.

Also, if any prospect deserved hype, it’s Rathbone.

You watch his game and he just has such deep tools. Literally every tool in his toolkit that you want in a modern NHL defenceman. Many of them high end/elite.

Then you look at the analytics. Most models have him at very high probability (like 70ish percent) of becoming an everyday NHL player. With projections in the 50ish points per season range.

Get hype, Canucks fans! :) 

• Cheers 2