The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why not just clear Loui’s contract by attaching a 1st like the Leafs did?

Rate this topic

EP40.

...honestly, why not?

It’s obvious JB is in cap trouble with all his previous overpayments having now added up incrementally to where we are now. There won’t be nearly as much cap growth the following season due to COVID and as it stands, fitting Toffoli under the salary is looking tough. And there’s absolutely no chance JB will let Toffoli walk after giving up a 2nd+promising prospect in Madden. Just look at what he re-signed Sbisa/Gudbranson for after acquiring them just so we wouldn’t lose them for nothing despite them being terrible players. So it’s safe to imagine he’s going to lock up Toffoli one way or another.

Which is why the Boeser trade speculation has been circulating. Say what you want but Jimbo’s been a key factor of Boston regime’s which have traded highly touted youngsters such as Seguin/Dougie Hamilton due to financial and team disputes so I wouldn’t put it past him if the same could be done here (remember the Zucker trade rumours? Generally speaking where there’s smoke there’s fire & this clearly isn’t the first time Brock’s been mentioned). I just really hope it’s not the case since Boeser is by far the Canucks best winger who’s been virtually a point per game his NHL career thus far.

...hypothetically speaking, if the purpose of moving out Boeser for a more cost effective player would be to ultimately extend the Canucks window to ice a competitive team & win, why not just do that by moving out Eriksson? The Leafs ran into cap problems but simply moved out Marleau by including a 1st round pick. If the Canucks/JB believe they’re tight on cap which prevents them from competing, it’d make a lot more sense to keep your best player and just pay to get rid of bad contracts. Many teams have done so in the past why not follow suit? It’d be completely idiotic to move out a Boeser while still having an Eriksson around; the problem isn’t Boeser, it’s Eriksson.

So why not just trade a future 1st+Eriksson and get this dilemma over with? I get we’ve dealt one with the JT Miller trade but if we’re already decided to enter the deep end (contend), we may as well do it properly while keeping our best players around. If not another 1st to get rid of Eriksson, I’m sure 2 2nd round picks and/or a Lind/Goldy/Gadjovich level prospect would suffice. Whatever it is and takes, just get it done!

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

The price is likely to be higher than a first.  Regardless, I agree we need to do whatever it takes to get rid of Eriksson.

I wonder if it really would be higher depending on the team. That high cap hit with lower actual money owed would be very attractive to a team like Ottawa.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, MrCanuck94 said:

I wonder if it really would be higher depending on the team. That high cap hit with lower actual money owed would be very attractive to a team like Ottawa.

One of the reasons Marleau commanded a 1st was that the Canes had to buyout the contract. The Bruins traded a 1st along with Backes (had 2 years left like Eriksson) and a C grade prospect in Andersson to get back Kase. Now I am not the biggest fan of Kase, there are concerns with his durability and there are question marks if he can survive the grind of the post-season. I suspect the Ducks don't see enough value in Kase at 2.6M AAV, while the Bruins are betting on him outperforming his price tag. I think that is probably the best we can expect, a 1st + Eriksson and get back a bit of a compromised asset in Kase.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, MrCanuck94 said:

Doubt it.  They won't have any trouble reaching the floor.  Adding Eriksson just adds unnecessary spending and increases Melnyk's losses.  Owners are set to lose a lot of money next season with no fans in the stands.  Melnyk was also on record saying he does not want to spend more than the strict minimum until 2021-22.  He doesn't need Eriksson to spend to the minimum and will have him another year when they are looking to compete.  In a more recent interview he said he wanted to compete this coming season.

Ferraro today was saying no team is going to take Eriksson with a 1st round pick.  Teams simply don't have the cap space to take on such a contract.  He also has that extra year when the cap isn't expected to move.  

Edited by mll
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

He'll retire after the bonus, perhaps?..(or Melnyk will take his hollow contract, w/ a small sweetener)

Ride it out. Don't squander 1st's, like that Leaf boy-GM who dresses like my Auntie.

I will be a very happy fan if Louie decides to walk away after his bonus. Maybe he could take an office job in Florida like another ex Canuck Lou?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

A trade structure that Detroit fans seem to accept is Eriksson + Demko + 2nd for a 7th. 

Since re-signing Markstrom seems like the priority, moving Demko makes sense. 

wonder if instead of Demko you do Oli instead?   Demko was just starting to heat up.  He is a huge asset for this club either in net or as a trade option.   Part of a salary dump is a no go.  

Lol with the cap not going up. Team with cap space will ask for the moon lol. Like why would they take loui and a 1st off you when they can just get a boeser on the low because we are cap crunched? Rather we should consider negotiating with Hughes and pettersson to sign a 1 year deal for slightly lower say like 4mil lower and then signed them to a 8 year contract the following year and up the amount by 500k a season so it makes up for the 4mil discount from previous year. That'll buy us a year for loui luongo beagle rousell etc contract to expire

12 minutes ago, Boest-er said:

Can someone explain to me why they can't buy loui out? Don't roast me I genuinely have no idea lol

I think it's cause the way his contract is structured they don't actually save any money on the cap buying him out. Someone smarter than me can clarify.

19 minutes ago, Boest-er said:

Can someone explain to me why they can't buy loui out? Don't roast me I genuinely have no idea lol

They can buy Loui out but the cap savings are not that great.

Cap Hit Calculations
SEASON INITIAL BASE SALARY INITIAL CAP HIT SIGNING BONUS BUYOUT COST POST-BUYOUT EARNINGS SAVINGS CAP HIT (VANVAN)
2020-21 $1,000,000 $6,000,000 $3,000,000 $666,667 $3,666,667 $333,333 $5,666,667
2021-22 $3,000,000 $6,000,000 $1,000,000 $666,667 $1,666,667 $2,333,333 $3,666,667
2022-23 $0 $0 $0 $666,667 $666,667 -$666,667 $666,667
2023-24 $0 $0 $0 $666,667 $666,667 -$666,667 $666,667
TOTAL $4,000,000 $12,000,000 $4,000,000 $2,666,667 $6,666,667 $1,333,333 $10,666,668
Edited by Rick Blight
  • Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

I think it's cause the way his contract is structured they don't actually save any money on the cap buying him out. Someone smarter than me can clarify.

GMJB also has to walk into the boss's office and say "I'm an idiot can I have a 5 million bucks?"

Edited by Chris12345

13 minutes ago, gurn said:

No, he doesn't. He is not an idiot so there would be no need to say that.

Nobody foresaw the huge drop off in Louis play. The signing was a bit high and a bit long, which has become common practice with free agents, especially when signing with a team that was on the way down the rankings.

the love for Benning in this one is strong. 

• Haha 2
  • Wat 1

Using a first rounder as a sweetener is certainly the easiest way to shed Eriksson’s contract. But hopefully it doesn’t come to that.

Retained salary (and a smaller sweetener) is also an option. At least to gain some cap space.

So is the AHL, gaining around a million in space from the buried contract, and forcing Eriksson to consider retirement while he rides the bus.

Could also look to make a trade for a Ryan Kesler type of LTIR contract.

Although with our luck, we move Loui for Kes, and Eriksson immediately suffers a career ending injury on his new team (eliminating his cap hit), while Kesler decides to make a comeback on his surgically repaired hip, and we pay $6.875M for Kes to centre the fourth line for two seasons. :lol:

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Haha 4