Sign in to follow this  
Brock Botanen

Have we ever had so much young talent at once?

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Essentially rookie line of Gradin, Smyl and Fraser was pretty solid.  Two wingers that could throw haymakers (and actually could play hockey) and a finesse playmaking center who could not be intimidated.  Too bad most of the rest of the team was garbage.....

 

As for 2005-2012...yeah the drafting sucked.  But your job isn’t made any easier when the top picks during those years were two 10th overall picks and mostly fairly low 1st rounders.  Unlikely we’d be able to draft either EP or Hughes in a similar draft position.  We’d still get good players based on how we’ve done so far but those two guys are franchise players.

 

 

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our core in 2011 was built of the Manitoba Moose roster; Scheider, Kesler, Burrows, Bieksa, Rypien, Hansen, Raymond, Bourdon, Edler, Grabner, Bolduc... pretty impressive. I say what we have today has a lot more potential for sure. We're literally just missing prime Lou.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Essentially rookie line of Gradin, Smyl and Fraser was pretty solid.  Two wingers that could throw haymakers (and actually could play hockey) and a finesse playmaking center who could not be intimidated.  Too bad most of the rest of the team was garbage.....

 

As for 2005-2012...yeah the drafting sucked.  But your job isn’t made any easier when the top picks during those years were two 10th overall picks and mostly fairly low 1st rounders.  Unlikely we’d be able to draft either EP or Hughes in a similar draft position.  We’d still get good players based on how we’ve done so far but those two guys are franchise players.

 

 

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/seasons/teams/0000391980.html

 

yes, that is what I was thinking too

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Brock Botanen said:

Man Jim Benning has been an absolute stud since he replaced Gillis. The young guys that he has acquired via draft is absolutely insane!

 

My question for you guys is have we ever had so much young talent at 1 time?

 

Am I crazy to be so hyped to think we will have a cup in the next 5 years?

 

Pettersson*

Boeser

Hughes*

Virtanen*

Gaudette

Demko

-----------------

Podkolzin*

Hoglander

Rathbone

Tryamkin (?)

Juolevi*

McEwen

Lind

DiPietro

 

* top 10 pick

 

I'm probably missing some this is off the top of my head. Man this teams future is looking so bright. If we keep drafting like this we could be contenders for a very long time. I am so pumped to see this team grow.

 

I started rooting for the Canucks in the Naslund/Bertuzzi days so I havnt really witnessed a complete tear down and rebuild, because the Sedins stepped in to fill their shoes almost immediately. So idk if I just got a case of the rookie jitters or if the Canucks are legit in the midst of building a complete POWERHOUSE!!!

 

What do yall think about the team JB has been building?

That's a pretty impressive list.  We didn't actually draft MacEwen, he wasn't drafted at all but a solid pickup by Benning.  You also forgot Gadjovich, Lockwood, Brisebois, Woo, Utunen, Mcdonough, Focht.  Then there are the ones we traded like Madden and McCann who should have good NHL careers.

 

I would say this is the most impressive list in our history.  The fact that we drafted 2 franchise players outside of the top 4 is impressive on its own, but getting guys like Gaudette in the 5th round and Rathbone in the 4th round was a stroke of genius by Benning.

  • Huggy Bear 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Yeah, I think we've managed to open another cup window for ourselves, but lets not kid ourselves, we still need a few things to go our way, one of them includes somehow getting Eriksson's contract off the books and getting Tiffoli and Tanev to resign at a decent price, and seeing who Seattle manages to pry from us... I think people have forgotten that's still a thing.

Edited by canuckster19

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

no, this is the best young talent pool the canucks have ever had -- which is why I can't shake the feeling that the other shoe is going to drop. 

 

petey getting severe covid, hughes demanding a trade, boeser getting attacked by a shark somehow in a minnesota lake while wakeboarding in the summer ... who knows? it just feels like it has to be SOMETHING that ruins it for us, because we're not allowed to have nice things. 

  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only time I can remember being remotely close to this many good young players was in the early 80's. Our drafts for 1980 and 1981 produced an unprecedented 16 eventual NHL players. The quality was not as high but the quantity of NHL level talent was sure there. In 80 and 81 we drafted players such as Skrikp, Buthcher, Lidster, Patrik Sundstrom, Moe Lemay, Marc Crawford, Rick Lanz and Wendell Young. I believe 5 of those players were included in the top 50 Canucks of all time poll CDC did a month or two ago. If you included Rick Vaive, Brent Ashton and Dirk Graham that we drafted in 1979 we had the makings of a very good young team.What we did with all that young talent is a completely different story.

  • Vintage 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hughes, Pettersson, and Boeser are pretty special. Only one other time in the history of the NHL did a team have 3 Calder nominees in 3 consecutive years (and that was a far cry from a 30/31 team league). But there are still a lot of question-marks as to what the rest will become. And there are also questions about the quality of the veterans on our roster.

 

In 2008-09, we were all pretty excited about 22 year-old Edler, 24 year-old Kesler, 23 year-old Raymond, 22 year-old Hansen, and 23 year-old Bernier - not to mention the 2008-09 CHL Player of the Year, Cody Hodgson. Of course, a few of those guys fell short of expectations (Hodgson and Raymond largely due to injury). Also, the team did so well because of the quality veterans the youth were surrounded with (Sedins, Luongo, Bieksa, Burrows, and later Hamhuis, etc.).

  • Like 1
  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Young talent? Yes.

People forget that, Bertuzzi, Naslund, Mogilny, Bure, Linden, Ohlund, Mccabe on the same roster.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Brock Botanen said:

Man Jim Benning has been an absolute stud since he replaced Gillis. The young guys that he has acquired via draft is absolutely insane!

 

My question for you guys is have we ever had so much young talent at 1 time?

 

Am I crazy to be so hyped to think we will have a cup in the next 5 years?

 

Pettersson*

Boeser

Hughes*

Virtanen*

Gaudette

Demko

-----------------

Podkolzin*

Hoglander

Rathbone

Tryamkin (?)

Juolevi*

McEwen

Lind

DiPietro

 

* top 10 pick

 

I'm probably missing some this is off the top of my head. Man this teams future is looking so bright. If we keep drafting like this we could be contenders for a very long time. I am so pumped to see this team grow.

 

I started rooting for the Canucks in the Naslund/Bertuzzi days so I havnt really witnessed a complete tear down and rebuild, because the Sedins stepped in to fill their shoes almost immediately. So idk if I just got a case of the rookie jitters or if the Canucks are legit in the midst of building a complete POWERHOUSE!!!

 

What do yall think about the team JB has been building?

I completely agree with what you said, but just make sure you don’t post this on HF Canucks.

 

You will get banned for trolling due to a perceived lack of credit towards Judd Brackett.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

Young talent? Yes.

People forget that, Bertuzzi, Naslund, Mogilny, Bure, Linden, Ohlund, Mccabe on the same roster.

Linden was traded for Bertuzzi, so by the time they were on the same team together, Linden was far from "young". The rest of those guys also weren't all young in 1997-98 when they were on a team together either. Mogilny was already 28 and Bure, while not old, wasn't a spring chicken at 26 years old by then.

 

A decent group, but I wouldn't say as young as our current core.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Sedins were amazing, and they had real good players supporting them throughout the years, but I agree that it just seems like Benning has assembled a team that will be very competitive for years to come. They've never had a Quinn Hughes, very exciting times. Pettersson is just going to keeping getting stronger and better, crazy good. Trying not to get my hopes up too high, but we might see the best Canucks team of all time yet and the team's first Cup. More to come.

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

Young talent? Yes.

People forget that, Bertuzzi, Naslund, Mogilny, Bure, Linden, Ohlund, Mccabe on the same roster.

Linden was traded for Bertuzzi and McCabe so they never really played together until Linden was traded back to Vancouver and already in his 30's.  Bure only played with Bertuzzi and McCabe for 22 games in 1997-1998 and he only played with Naslund for a couple of years as Naslund arrived the same year that Bure tore up his knee.  Same with Mogilny.  Bure tore his up his knee the year Mogilny came to Vancouver.

 

So overall a very impressive group, but unfortunately through injury and trade those players never really played together all at the same time for an extended period of time.  Our current group has the potential to stay together for many years barring injury and cap issues.  It's a very exciting time to be a Canucks fan.  I'm more excited now than I was when we got Bure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No Jett Woo love.

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, J-23 said:

No Jett Woo love.

he's got a long, long way to go to even make the NHL as a 7th-8th d-man. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.