The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Have we ever had so much young talent at once?

Rate this topic

Gator

Jagr was clearly the best pick except .....no one was betting he might ever get out of Czechoslovakia. That was the gamble. The USSR was still in control and clubs had no idea that Gorbachev would dismantle the USSR in 1991 ... heck the CIA had no idea LOL. The dissolution of Czechoslovakia took place in 1993. Nedved on the other hand had already taken political asylum as a 16 year old from the WJC as I recall

• Vintage 1

If Pettersson plays 15-20 years for the Canucks, can he beat the Sedins' records?

If so, then this is the greatest team. Got to factor in Hughes, a player the likes they've never had. Canucks have depth now too. Top notch prospects (Lind, Podkolzin, Hoglander, Focht, Juolevi, Rathbone, Woo, etc.) developing. They'll be a good team for years if they can manage the cap well.

On 7/20/2020 at 4:15 PM, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Our core in 2011 was built of the Manitoba Moose roster; Scheider, Kesler, Burrows, Bieksa, Rypien, Hansen, Raymond, Bourdon, Edler, Grabner, Bolduc... pretty impressive. I say what we have today has a lot more potential for sure. We're literally just missing prime Lou.

Is this really true? The 2011 team consisted of two Art Ross winners, a 41 goal scoring Selke winner, a first line winger with four straight 25 + goal seasons, two defensemen who topped out scoring 50 points and the best goaltending duo in the league. I think we forget just how good the 2011 team was.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, The Game said:

Is this really true? The 2011 team consisted of two Art Ross winners, a 41 goal scoring Selke winner, a first line winger with four straight 25 + goal seasons, two defensemen who topped out scoring 50 points and the best goaltending duo in the league. I think we forget just how good the 2011 team was.

Same with the early 90’s teams ...  sure we didn’t draft Momesso and Ronning but they were only five years older then Linden (so like Horvat is to EP)...Bure a year younger then Linden etc...and then Nedved.  Lumme was 24 when Linden was 20...same with former early first rounder Dana Murzyn...same with Kirk McLean.   That’s a lot of key guys (9 to be exact) within 5-6 years of each other.  Oh yeah Gerald Diduck would have been 25 when Linden was around 20 too.  So that’s 10 guys ... 

15 hours ago, WestCoastDave said:

Yes, there were risks, but I would have taken the chance and drafted Jagr because the easing of tensions in Europe were getting a lot better and trending in the right direction. 

Back then the team didn’t have the stomach to go their again after Makarov (that plus Jagr told everyone he wouldn’t report so don’t bother drafting him ... except in secret told PIT if they did he would come because he wanted to play with Mario)....

22 minutes ago, The Game said:

That said the team seems to have a lot of potential given what the young guys on it so far have accomplished is a lot more then anyone other then a young Linden team did.   The Sedins were slow off the mark...and a liability in the post season their first couple cracks too ...

1 hour ago, The Game said:

As much as I agree that that team was phenomenal, that team did not come up together and develop together. The sedins were veterans when they went on their run and had been in the NHL for close to a decade each at that point. Luongo as well was a veteran.

The comparison is then in itself with Kesler Burrows Raymond  Hansen Rypien Bieksa Edler Schneider Bourdon etc... which is still an excellent group of prospects.

However, I firmly believe that this group is better and more deep. There is still lots to be proved by the players, but I don't think we had many Gaudette's, Rathbone's etc...

We never had a top D prospect like Hughes (RIP Luc).

We didn't have a sniper like Boeser, just two gifted players that both managed to capitalize in career years (goal scoring wise). 

The stars aligned in 2011.

I think we have a much more sustainable team that can make a run for a solid amout of time, not just one year.

I think this prospect pool has a lot more potential than the 2004-2007 Moose prospect pool.

This is such an interesting question. I think it's still too early to answer definitively but, man, things sure look awesome for the future.

Right now, at this moment time, one aspect we can point to as an amazing and unprecedented sign of things to come for the Canucks is having three back-to-back-to-back Calder finalists in the lineup. And they're just beginning their careers and we have yet to see their best. That's scary!

And then we still have Podz and Hoglander to drop into the lineup ... even scarier if all goes according to plan.

This should set us apart from the 2011 team in that we'll be able compete and contend for longer with a wider window than how the 2011 team was built.

Another huge factor in our future is the amount of NCAA talent we have - beyond Boeser and Hughes - which I don't think gets talked about as much as it should. 

We've already got Gaudette in the lineup, a Hobey Baker winner, plus Demko (if he stays), and we also have Rathbone, Lockwood, Rafferty, even Teves.

Our window to compete is just beginning now. Especially with Boeser, Petey, and Hughes in the lineup along with our other 1st round draft picks in Horvat, Virtanen, and Juolevi. 

There's so much to look forward to it's crazy to think about.