The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

ECQR: (8) Toronto Maple Leafs vs. (9) Columbus Blue Jackets | Blue Jackets win series 3-2

Rate this topic

2020 Stanley Cup Qualifiers  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the series?

• Maple Leafs in 3
    • Maple Leafs in 4
    • Maple Leafs in 5
    • Blue Jackets in 3
    • Blue Jackets in 4
    • Blue Jackets in 5

This poll is closed to new votes

Just now, UKNuck96 said:

You do realise that Crosby is in the millenial grouping and the younger leaf players are not actually Millenials but the generation after them 

I didn't realize the young Leafs players built the team.

I was referring to the person that did - their GM.  Millenial build.  #proper-rebuild

And regardless, I don't really care about the technicality of whether the timeline fits - I'm referring to the premature killing off of the alleged 'old school' dinosaurs that purportedly didn't understand the 'modern' game.

• Cheers 1

49 minutes ago, UKNuck96 said:

Actually most of those can be quantified through analytics. Most of the time it’s wrong decisions based on the data that is the issue not the data itself.

it can only tell what has happened it’s down to a human on how they interpret that and use it. 

I’m interested how character, grit and will can be quantified through analytics? (Like actually curious)

2 hours ago, Mackcanuck said:

Dubas is a young analytics guy

I am not against analytics, they do have a place

but, they are not the be all and end all to player value especially in the playoffs

Regular season hockey is so different than Playoff hockey(or playin hockey in this case) 

The are no analytic numbers for character, grit, will, toughness, etc.

These are all huge factors in playoff hockey.

This Dubas team has none

Lou Lamoriello >>>>>>>>>> Dubas

This has nothing to do with analytics. It has to do with paying 4 players way more money than they should. Look what happened to Chicago once they paid Kane and Toews who really earned it with all their cups.. The Leafs paid their core as if they were cup champs... and now they can't win in the playoffs cause they can't avoid to add depth. This is terrible GM'ing. 

1 minute ago, J-Dizzle said:

I’m interested how character, grit and will can be quantified through analytics? (Like actually curious)

Not being an nhl analyst cannot give you the exact answer, but you would use things such as time ice, Shift length, when during the game. The score at that point, the number of battles/hits/takeaway/meters covered etc

in one game it might not be obvious but over a season you could easily gain some trend analysis. 

this would be able to tell you for a player how they performed at different stages of a game - do they alway seem to float around when going down a goal, or can you see an increase in meters covered, battles undertaken in shifts after a goal etc

It is worth noting that $15 M came off of Robidas Island at the final whistle of that crushing loss to CLB!

So their so called "legal" cap circumvention is now gone   :bigblush:

LONG-TERM IR (3 - $15,050,000)   POSITION AGE 2019-20 2020-21 2021-22 2022-23 2023-24 2024-25 2025-26
Horton, Nathan   RW 35 $5,300,000
UFA

Clarkson, David   RW 36 $5,250,000
UFA

Ceci, Cody   RD 26 $4,500,000
UFA

TOTAL       $15,050,000

https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/1608727

Edited by Mackcanuck

1 hour ago, UKNuck96 said:

Not being an nhl analyst cannot give you the exact answer, but you would use things such as time ice, Shift length, when during the game. The score at that point, the number of battles/hits/takeaway/meters covered etc

in one game it might not be obvious but over a season you could easily gain some trend analysis. 

this would be able to tell you for a player how they performed at different stages of a game - do they alway seem to float around when going down a goal, or can you see an increase in meters covered, battles undertaken in shifts after a goal etc

Yeah I don’t think that would be the first tool in the box I’d be reaching for if I were a gm if I’m honest.  Worth using as a supplement though imho.  

29 minutes ago, J-Dizzle said:

Yeah I don’t think that would be the first tool in the box I’d be reaching for if I were a gm if I’m honest.  Worth using as a supplement though imho.  

They would not be that granular at the gm level but rolled up into core attributes and probably ran through model which scores that granular level data and grouped into day a ‘grit’ score 

Edited by UKNuck96

What another early Leafs exit means to Rogers & Sportsnet

Add August to the months during which The Toronto Maple Leafs can’t win a playoff series.

After hitting the draft lottery motherload in 2015 and 2016 and signing free agent John Tavaris, the Leafs have not won a single NHL playoff round. All that promise four years ago — the right coach, the right GM, the right scouts — all evaporated in a blue and white haze.

It’s bad enough if you’re a fan. It is knee-on-knee bad to an already COVID-hammered broadcaster who paid $5.2 billion in NHL rights that get more expensive every year.

Sunday’s shutout defeat to the Columbus Blue Jackets in Game Five of the Qualifying round drew an overnight, estimated audience of 2,529,000 on Sportsnet National.

Last Friday’s miracle come back with less than four minutes remaining in Game Four drew 1,417,000 viewers to the Rogers broadcast on CBC. Another 556,000 watched on Sportnet National, adding up to nearly two million viewers in overnight estimates.

Other games in the opening qualifier round have also arrived just in time to revive the flagging sports networks in Canada. Friday also saw games on Sportsnet between Pittsburgh and Montreal (681,000 est. viewers), Edmonton and Chicago (984,000) and a late game between Vancouver and Minneapolis (816,000). In between, clip shows such as Hockey Central (769,000) an Sportsnet Prime (324,000) were boosted back to pre-COVID levels. Even TSN scored Friday with their coversge of NBA action between The Toronto Raptors and the Boston Celtics (450,000). On Sportnet One Friday, the baseball Toronto Blue Jays batted 317,000 against the Boston Red Sox.

Still, aside from the Raptors championship final games, no other team in any sport across Canada draws like the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Rogers also has to rebound from the loss of Connor McDavid and his top-seed Edmonton Oilers from the playoffs, as well as the grounding of the Winnipeg Jets. The good news is that the Montreal Canadiens, Vancouver Canucks and Calgary Flames will carry Canadian rooting interest into these playoffs.

Maybe one of them, if they go all the way to the Cup final, will top the audience for the Leafs loss Sunday.

https://brioux.tv/blog/2020/08/10/what-another-early-leafs-exit-means-to-rogers-sportsnet/

^If they're gonna ponder, what mighta' been...they may's well take their tired narrative all the way back to about 1979, 1980(I don't use 1967, cos the Fleas had some exciting teams/players in the late 70's).

Their fan-abuse & mismanagement seem to stem from about that time-period. Ballard was Melnyk on steroids.

Leafs with no first this year. Don't win the lotto your pick goes to Carolina.. Good ol Patrick Marleau contract lol :picard:

Dubas paid way too much to dump that. All the respect in the world to Marleau.

Edited by Rush17

In the end should it have been such a surprise? After all it's 8th seed vs 9th seed. The Leafs aren't that good and they are only pumped up by the media over and over again. The slightest improvement or success gets headlines while other teams are ignored for greater success. Sometimes I wonder who I hate more, the Leafs or the media. 

Edited by rekker
  • Cheers 1

18 hours ago, Mackcanuck said:

It is worth noting that $15 M came off of Robidas Island at the final whistle of that crushing loss to CLB!

So their so called "legal" cap circumvention is now gone   :bigblush:

LONG-TERM IR (3 - $15,050,000)   POSITION AGE 2019-20 2020-21 2021-22 2022-23 2023-24 2024-25 2025-26
Horton, Nathan   RW 35 $5,300,000
UFA

Clarkson, David   RW 36 $5,250,000
UFA

Ceci, Cody   RD 26 $4,500,000
UFA

TOTAL       $15,050,000

https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/1608727

LTIR is not cap circumvention.  It's a limitation more than anything else.  It doesn't allow teams to build an active roster up to the salary cap.  Toronto must be relieved that they are finally out of LTIR.  They couldn't trade the Horton contract because it wasn't insured.