The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Goodbye to Eddie Shack

Rate this topic

Right thread I hope. With the 2 or 3 death threads here the last couple of days I find it amazing I find no mention of Eddie Shacks passing yesterday.  I remember his days with the leafs, was one of the greatest character to ever lace up the skates. Can remember him going full bore up the ice just to shower the opposition goalie in snow, loved to piss the other teams off. Dont remember which team but I can remember him being chased around the ice by all 5 of the opposition skaters. " CLEAR THE TRACK LORD, HERE COMES EDDIE SHACK ". RIP

Edited by crobar
wrong word
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Damn, now I want a root beer. 

He's got a nose for the ages.  I remember watching him on HNIC playing conductor on the bench with his hockey stick as the crowd chanted his name.  Would have been 74 when he became a Leaf again at the end of his career.  17 years (58-75), 1047 games, 465 points, 1437 pims, 4 Stanley Cups.

Clear the track!  What a character!

• Like 2

Well, my Pops loved him

The Leafs played the old Canucks of the WHL in an exhibition game and my Dad went, all he could do was talk about Eddie Shack rushing up the ice and doing a spin-o-rama in front of the Canuck net, then fired it top shelf.......

My Dad talked about it for years! Now, they are up there telling fishing stories! Eddie will like my Dad.

A true entertainer! RIP Eddie!

• Like 2

I liked the anecdote about Shack that when Toronto games were going poorly, the crowd would chant, "We want Shack!" Word was that often the guy who started these chants was Eddie Shack who was riding the bench or was in the pressbox.

It would be interesting (however unlikely) to hear Leafs fans give out that chant one last time.

regards,  G.

• Like 1