Sign in to follow this  
-Vintage Canuck-

Alexander Edler nominated for King Clancy Trophy

Rate this topic

If he only had a mean streak!  But he’s too nice.  Makes him to be a better human being though.

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, ruilin96 said:

He is gentleman for sure but he also can lay hits. When he lays a hit, he can really lay them. I still remember his open-ice hit on Drew Doughty in the 2010 playoffs as Doughty was driving the net. His hit on Patrick Kane in game 1 of our series against the Blackhawks in 2011 also set the tone. Earlier this season, he absolutely leveled cry baby Kevin Lebanc of the Sharks and led to the entire Sharks team throwing tantrums. I hope to see more of the hard hitting Edler this upcoming playoffs!

Clean hits.  Course I still remember the league giving him a BS suspension for the legit hit he laid on Hertl.  

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Like 1
  • Hydration 1

7 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Clean hits.  Course I still remember the league giving him a BS suspension for the legit hit he laid on Hertl.  

Oh man, I remember being absolutely livid when that suspension was announced. 

• Hydration 4

Great nomination.   He’s a deserving candidate.  On the rough stuff above - Edlers had some beautiful hits over the years - that’s something I hope by the time he’s done we can replace.  Some big shoes to fill.  Ohlund was rougher - maybe a result of his era ... will never forget when he went to TB and how it took some time for that division to realize you don’t come into the zone against Ohlund with your head down or unawares ... seemed like twice a week he was levelling some poor fool.  Elder filled his shoes quite nicely... and get the OJ pick.   If he can do it this team is going to be really really good.  THN still had him as one of our three blue chip prospects this season (Madden and Podz were the others) so there is still hope.   

• Hydration 1

1 hour ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

By the rules, as currently written and enforced, it was an illegal hit. He was about five or six inches off from making body contact prior to the head. It was one of those fine line hits that was on the wrong side of the line. I don't believe for a moment it was his intent, but intent and result often don't match up.

That said, Edler is full value for the nomination.

• Sedinery 1

2 hours ago, ruilin96 said:

He is gentleman for sure but he also can lay hits. When he lays a hit, he can really lay them. I still remember his open-ice hit on Drew Doughty in the 2010 playoffs as Doughty was driving the net. His hit on Patrick Kane in game 1 of our series against the Blackhawks in 2011 also set the tone. Earlier this season, he absolutely leveled cry baby Kevin Lebanc of the Sharks and led to the entire Sharks team throwing tantrums. I hope to see more of the hard hitting Edler this upcoming playoffs!

He can't play that game anymore. He has had back issues that hindered his game and admitted the last time it's as good as it is going to get. You haven't seen him make any really big hits since the last injury.

48 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

He can't play that game anymore. He has had back issues that hindered his game and admitted the last time it's as good as it is going to get. You haven't seen him make any really big hits since the last injury.

He played a pretty physical game when paired with Gudbranson.  I think he's got some more hits in him.

Obviously won't be winning, but he's our best option for now. Way to go Eddie.

5 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

If he only had a mean streak!  But he’s too nice.  Makes him to be a better human being though.

U need to watch the 2011 playoffs again. Lol. Ya , he may be now , he wasnt then. 

45 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

U need to watch the 2011 playoffs again. Lol. Ya , he may be now , he wasnt then. 

The league neutered Edler (well his back wasn't in great shape at times as well.....) with that Hertl suspension.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Baggins said:

By the rules, as currently written and enforced, it was an illegal hit. He was about five or six inches off from making body contact prior to the head. It was one of those fine line hits that was on the wrong side of the line. I don't believe for a moment it was his intent, but intent and result often don't match up.

It's amazing how often whenever there is a "grey area", the Canucks generally come on the short end of the stick. Did the "Auger incident" have something to do with it?  Maybe but Auger wasn't even a ref when we got robbed by Otto kicking in the puck (to score the game winning goal in game 7 - that SAME year the Lames won the Cup).  I'm not sure Edler was even called for a penalty on that play during the game.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

The league neutered Edler (well his back wasn't in great shape at times as well.....) with that Hertl suspension.

Didnt change raffi Torres lol. True though.

Edited by cuporbust
  • Hydration 1

2 hours ago, cuporbust said:

Didnt change raffi Torres lol. True though.

He never changed his game.  If you were a D coming behind the net, better have your head on a swivel.  He would hit you and not even blink.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

It's amazing how often whenever there is a "grey area", the Canucks generally come on the short end of the stick. Did the "Auger incident" have something to do with it?  Maybe but Auger wasn't even a ref when we got robbed by Otto kicking in the puck (to score the game winning goal in game 7 - that SAME year the Lames won the Cup).  I'm not sure Edler was even called for a penalty on that play during the game.

It's not a "gray area" it's a "fine line". If you watch the NHL training video on head contact you'll see where the line is. Head contact is legal when hitting "into the body". 

Btw, most fans (pick any team) believe "their team" gets the short end of the stick.

4 hours ago, Baggins said:

Btw, most fans (pick any team) believe "their team" gets the short end of the stick.

Like New England Patriot fans.:P

7 hours ago, The Colt 45s said:

He never changed his game.  If you were a D coming behind the net, better have your head on a swivel.  He would hit you and not even blink.

Seabrook is still having Torres nightmares.

11 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I don't believe the official fraternity ever forgot the Auger firing, ditto Sutherland being moved from his home base on the Westcoast to be sent to the Eastcoast official roster

• Hydration 1

8 hours ago, The Colt 45s said:

Nobody really cared when McGratton ended Alberts career with a cheapshot headshot because the later was a “nobody”.