The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Line combinations for the Canucks in the play-ins and beyond   

Rate this topic

Patel Bure

13 hours ago, MikeyD said:

It'd be an absolute travesty if Mac doesn't make it into the lineup. Kid has earned it, without a doubt. 

Watching him play in the AHL it's like he's men against boys in that league. He's an NHL'er through and through. 

He earned his spot on the 30 man roster and that's why he was going balls out in camp.  It's the same story in every training camp.  Those fighting to make the roster always play harder than those with a roster spot assured.

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, stawns said:

He earned his spot on the 30 man roster and that's why he was going balls out in camp.  It's the same story in every training camp.  Those fighting to make the roster always play harder than those with a roster spot assured.

I don't agree with this.

It's that very mentality that'll get some replaced.   Roster spots are only "assured" to a certain degree.  Of course, top guys have it nailed down but the bottom of the roster is always moving parts if someone shows more heart/desire/drive/determination than a guy who feels secure enough to not bring it all.

Petey/Quinn are guys pretty "set" but work harder than anyone to perfect their craft.   Play hard every moment should be the mindset of every single player.  There is no "sure thing" if you're not working hard.

• Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, DarkIndianRises said:

With all due respect, if it’s “set in stone” as to who will play in the bottom 6, why have you neglected to list your bottom 6 lines?

The top 6 is set in stone....the bottom 6 can be whatever it is...that's not going to decide if we move on or fail.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

I don't agree with this.

It's that very mentality that'll get some replaced.   Roster spots are only "assured" to a certain degree.  Of course, top guys have it nailed down but the bottom of the roster is always moving parts if someone shows more heart/desire/drive/determination than a guy who feels secure enough to not bring it all.

Petey/Quinn are guys pretty "set" but work harder than anyone to perfect their craft.   Play hard every moment should be the mindset of every single player.  There is no "sure thing" if you're not working hard.

don't confuse roster and lineup.  I guarantee you, because I've been there countless times, that when you are fighting for a spot on the roster you leave absolutely everything on the ice for every practice because are literally fighting for your hockey life.  Regulars don't have to worry about that, so the same intensity isn't there.  That's the way it's always been.

Don't get me wrong, I've been a big supporter of Mac from the day he signed, but making the roster and making the lineup are two completely different things to coaches.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, timberz21 said:

The top 6 is set in stone....the bottom 6 can be whatever it is...that's not going to decide if we move on or fail.

that's pretty much completely the oppposite of playoff reality.  

• Cheers 3

13 hours ago, MikeyD said:

It'd be an absolute travesty if Mac doesn't make it into the lineup. Kid has earned it, without a doubt. 

Watching him play in the AHL it's like he's men against boys in that league. He's an NHL'er through and through. 

Sure, the guys that actually got them to this point earned it too. Mac will probably get a taste but to say he earned the nhl playoffs is pretty out there. 

• Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, stawns said:

don't confuse roster and lineup.  I guarantee you, because I've been there countless times, that when you are fighting for a spot on the roster you leave absolutely everything on the ice for every practice because are literally fighting for your hockey life.  Regulars don't have to worry about that, so the same intensity isn't there.  That's the way it's always been.

Don't get me wrong, I've been a big supporter of Mac from the day he signed, but making the roster and making the lineup are two completely different things to coaches.

My point is this:  Mac's fighting for a spot but that isn't in the top 6 (or even 9)...the spot he's fighting for is likely more "open" and no one should pencil themselves in there.  It's a battle.  And if a guy is coasting because he feels he's "there" that says a lot about his level of compete.  You want guys fighting, tooth and nail, in the playoffs so if two guys are close and one is all in and the other is penciling himself in, it's not a given.  That spot is up for grabs to some degree and a guy putting it all on the line to "get" there might bump a guy who's "there" and not quite showing it.

• Vintage 1

Just now, debluvscanucks said:

My point is this:  Mac's fighting for a spot but that isn't in the top 6 (or even 9)...the spot he's fighting for is likely more "open" and no one should pencil themselves in there.  It's a battle.  And if a guy is coasting because he feels he's "there" that says a lot about his level of compete.  You want guys fighting, tooth and nail, in the playoffs so if two guys are close and one is all in and the other is penciling himself in, it's not a given.  That spot is up for grabs to some degree.

Right and if someone has a bad game he's probably getting in. I don't see him starting, but hey, maybe.

I personally think that would be a bad move as a coach to start him after the work these guys put in to get the team there.

• Vintage 1

Just now, debluvscanucks said:

My point is this:  Mac's fighting for a spot but that isn't in the top 6 (or even 9)...the spot he's fighting for is likely more "open" and no one should pencil themselves in there.  It's a battle.  And if a guy is coasting because he feels he's "there" that says a lot about his level of compete.  You want guys fighting, tooth and nail, in the playoffs so if two guys are close and one is all in and the other is penciling himself in, it's not a given.  That spot is up for grabs to some degree.

I know what you're saying, but I don't agree.  There really aren't any lineup spots open for Mac to fight for.  I'm betting he gets a shot at some point in the series, but he's a longshot to see any meaningful playing time.

If the regular season would have finished and playoffs progressed naturally, would you have taken anyone out and put an unproven player in their spot?  If so, who and why?

• Cheers 2

Just now, stawns said:

I know what you're saying, but I don't agree.  There really aren't any lineup spots open for Mac to fight for.  I'm betting he gets a shot at some point in the series, but he's a longshot to see any meaningful playing time.

If the regular season would have finished and playoffs progressed naturally, would you have taken anyone out and put an unproven player in their spot?  If so, who and why?

Virtanen because we hate him for some reason we can't justify with any stats. He had that picture though!

• Vintage 1

It's not about hating Virtanen....it's about seeing potential and, mostly, "hunger" in players and knowing that you need that in the playoffs.   

I hope Jake slays it.  In his corner. 

But I also see something in Mac that's absolutely all about playoffs.  He plays gritty and physical and playoffs are all about that.

Not saying we "can" have him there...just saying it isn't a far fetch to picture him there.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

It's not about hating Virtanen....it's about seeing potential and, mostly, "hunger" in players and knowing that you need that in the playoffs.   

But I also see something in Mac that's absolutely all about playoffs.  He plays gritty and physical and playoffs are all about that.

Not saying we "can" have him there...just saying it isn't a far fetch to picture him there.

I highly doubt they are leaving 36 points and 102 hits off the playoff roster for an unproven player.  They'd be more likely to leave Roussel off than Jake, imo.  I think we all read way too much into camp performances.  Every year it plays out the same way.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

I do think that Mac having such a great camp will motivate some players to make sure they stay in the lineup though and that's great.  I think that kind of innner competition is fantastic

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, stawns said:

that's pretty much completely the opposite of playoff reality.  

Not saying 3rd and 4th line are not important and don't have impact....but given the fact that we have 8 candidates to fill 6 roles, whether we play ABC DEF or ABG DEH, that's not going to make or break the playoffs.

Ultimately there is always a core of 7-8 forwards....with the last 4-5 players alternating throughout the playoffs, due to matchup, injuries, opponent style of play, etc.  Don't think Green is losing any sleep whether he's going to Play Virtanen or McEwen and/or both or neither.

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

Not saying 3rd and 4th line are not important and don't have impact....but given the fact that we have 8 candidates to fill 6 roles, whether we play ABC DEF or ABG DEH, that's not going to make or break the playoffs.

Ultimately there is always a core of 7-8 forwards....with the last 4-5 players alternating throughout the playoffs, due to matchup, injuries, opponent style of play, etc.  Don't think Green is losing any sleep whether he's going to Play Virtanen or McEwen and/or both or neither.

gotcha, there are a cpl interchangeable parts, I agree.  However, I think when push comes to shove, Virtanen isn't one of those interchngeable parts, imo.

Gaud

Roussel

Mac

Eriksson

Motte

Edited by stawns

I think we need to keep in mind the team we are facing. It doesn't make sense to have a pure shutdown line when there really isn't any high end offensive players on their team. Their offensive strength is in their depth. The other issue is to key in on their weak PK. I don't think its a good idea to weaken that excellent second PP group we have which has players like Gaudette and Virtanen there. 

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, AK_19 said:

I think we need to keep in mind the team we are facing. It doesn't make sense to have a pure shutdown line when there really isn't any high end offensive players on their team. Their offensive strength is in their depth. The other issue is to key in on their weak PK. I don't think its a good idea to weaken that excellent second PP group we have which has players like Gaudette and Virtanen there. 

Valid point, I didn't really consider it from that perspective.

I'll play:

JT Petey TT

Tanner Bo Brock

Virt Sutter Ferland

Rous Beagle Gaud

Way too lazy to look up sides. I probably have the wrong sides for wingers and D.

Edler Stecher

Hughes Tanev

Myers Fanta

Marky

Things will change half way through the first period... Big Mack will draw in not sure which game.