The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Markstrom contract

Rate this topic

grandmaster

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1993124

The Vancouver Canucks and starting goaltender Jacob Markstrom will put contract negotiations aside until the postseason is finished, general manager Jim Benning said Wednesday.

"I've got a good relationship with Jacob, and you know we talked again yesterday," Benning told Sportsnet, according to NHL.com. "We're going to get something figured out for him. We both decided let's just wait until after the playoffs are done.

"We'll sit down with his agent Pat Morris and with Jacob and we'll get something figured out. We want to keep him on the team. He's been a good goalie for us here the last couple of years and a big part of the team."

Markstrom is coming off a career-best season, going 23-16-4 with a .918 save percentage, a 2.75 goals-against average, and 11.4 goals saved above average. However, the 30-year-old is a pending unrestricted free agent.

Even with the cap ceiling staying at $81.5 million, the Canucks still project to hold over $17 million in space. Forwards Tyler Toffoli (UFA) and Jake Virtanen (RFA), as well as defensemen Chris Tanev (UFA) and Troy Stecher (RFA) will be up for new contracts too. Additionally, key building blocks Elias Pettersson and Quinn Hugheswill be due for significant raises after next season.

Benning also needs to be mindful of the 2021 Seattle expansion draft. The team can only protect one goalie, so the Canucks could lose Markstrom (if he's re-signed) or the 24-year-old Thatcher Demko to the future division-rival Kraken.

But for now, the present is of the utmost importance, and the Canucks begin their qualifying-round series against the Minnesota Wild on Sunday, when they'll rely on Markstrom.

• Vintage 1

16 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

I hope Marky and his agent understand the cap situation and take a friendly contract.

I think all players understand that there's not the big money that all UFA's were hoping would be available this summer or next. All teams are in a bind and the NHL is expecting to lose money for the next 2 - 3 years.

There are very few teams in the NHL, that won't have cap issues of some type.

We're going to have to do some creative management to get under cap for next season, I don't like to give up on Jake, but I could unless he's willing to take a 2 - 3 year deal at 1.5 - 1.75, I could see us moving him. He's playing himself off the team and potentially, out of the NHL, which is unfortunate. If we resign Toffoli, there's no place for Jake on the team any longer.

Will be interesting to see how JB balances the team.

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

I hope Marky and his agent understand the cap situation and take a friendly contract.

It's his last chance at a big money contract.  This is a business much like how the Canucks terminated a number of employees today (they had no work to do; hence they were let go).  

18 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

A lot will depend on his performance for the play-in and hopefully play-offs.

If he plays like a sieve, he will be offered a low contract (or even left to walk).

Should he playing at his peak... cha-ching...

No it won't.  This is a unique situation and his contract is going to be based on the last 2 years of play, not a 5 game series after there has been no games in 4 months.

38 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

If he wants to play for the Canucks, he should be reasonable. I believe he loves it here wants to play here, so I don't expect any outrageous demands.

I'll guess:  4 years x $5.5

Demko will be traded

As long as the AAV is under 6 I don't see a problem here. A team like Calgary would love to have him at that and would likely pay more.

I'm more interested in what we do with Demko.... is he the cap dump sweetener to move Loui? 

• Cheers 2

With the cap flat for the next few years may see some guys that are still fairly young taking 2&3 year deals so that they can get another contract post COVID and with the potential new TV deal could be seeing the cap jump after a couple years of the flat cap. 

where would we be if cap wise, if we let tanev and toffoli walk? 

marky 6 mil for 4 years. 

if ferland can play, can we get along without toffoli  until podkolzin is ready to play? 

i heard someone thinks san jose should sign toffoli. that might be perfect for the toff and his wife.

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

As long as the AAV is under 6 I don't see a problem here. A team like Calgary would love to have him at that and would likely pay more.

I'm more interested in what we do with Demko.... is he the cap dump sweetener to move Loui? 

Yes.  Demko and Eriksson to Detroit for one of their 2nd round picks...

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

If he wants to play for the Canucks, he should be reasonable. I believe he loves it here wants to play here, so I don't expect any outrageous demands.

Demko will be traded

I think you're pretty close with that number in today's economic situation. There's not really many teams out there, who could offer him more right now. Detroit and Buffalo are about the only teams I can think of, who could probably pickup a goalie at say, 6 million per season, without making a significant move of either moving their current goalie in the same price range out, or another player to bring someone like Markstrom in. I really don't see him leaving, I think he'll make it work with the Canucks. I don't think he wants to go to another team that's just in early phases of rebuild, he wants a chance to compete, now.

1 hour ago, luckylager said:

If we're really lucky and Marky is interested in doing the team a solid - he'll sign a one year contract allowing the Canucks to protect Demko in the expansion draft, then resign once Seattle's roster is settled.

Would be a dream scenario. Do the right thing Marky!

He and other FAs may actually be inclined to take short term deals, maybe even 1 year deals, to try to cash in once the economic landscape has stabilized. Marky may be one, I could also see players like Toffoli and Hall doing similar things.

• Cheers 2

57 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yes.  Demko and Eriksson to Detroit for one of their 2nd round picks...

if they can clear us of Loui's $ I'd be fine with Madison Bowey back as a reclamation project. If Stevie Y is going to give up picks he'll probably want someone like Woo thrown in as well. 

1 hour ago, stawns said:

It's highly unlikely we have hockey after this playoff anyway, so it's probably a moot point for a year, probably more.

if the two city bubble works, then why not a 4 city one for the whole league? it could work out fine, and maybe by Feb/Mar there's actually a vaccine available and they can travel as normal 1/2 way through next season. 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Demko will be traded

Here's what I would do. Sign Markstrom to a fair deal, Nothing over 6m. If he wants a NMC depending on how workable it is nothing over 5m. Sign Tanev to a 4m and then offer Toffoli no more than 5.5M If Toffoli signs then you trade Virtanen. There is absolutely no room in the top 6 for him if we have Toffoli. Get the best young D prospect you can get for him. Then come the expansion draft expose Myers and Seattle should not be passing on him. You get Myers 6m off the books, he is just not worth 6m. This gets us out of most of the cap trouble and can survive with Eriksson.

• Cheers 1

If he is signed for next season, I would not want any NMC on his contract so that we could expect to lose a goalie because both of them are good ones.  It's other area in the depth might be an issue if Seattle choose to draft a skater and one of depth could take a hit: forward or a defence depth.  Expect a trade so that a depth can take a hit.