The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Teams You Think Canucks Would Beat in a Playoff Matchup

Rate this topic

Rindiculous

Teams Canucks Would Beat in a Series  

79 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So I might be one of the more optimistic Canucks fans out there, but I try to be a realest.  I’ve watched 90% of Canucks games this year and there are several teams that non fans would count us out against which I’d think we have a greater than 50% chance of winning, and others non fans think we would win, but I’m more scared of than teams at the top of the standings.  So I was wanting to see what teams us fans would favour us to beat, and which ones we wouldn’t.

So for me there are only two teams in the Western conference I am really scared of facing.  Those two would be the Vegas Golden Knights and the Winnipeg Jets.  Those two teams seem to always have our number and no matter how good we play we always lose.

Now the next tier of teams are the ones that I think I would favour over the Canucks in a series, but I wouldn’t count the Canucks out of.  Those teams for me would be the Dallas Stars and Arizona Coyotes.  We never seem to do well against these teams.  I guess the theme here is we’re not too good against defensively sound teams and Winnipeg.

The opponents where I think it’d be pretty much a coin flip would be the Colorado Avalanche and Chicago Blackhawks.  I so want to see a series of us vs the Avs cause that would be so freaking exciting and I feel like with the speed both teams possess I really wouldn’t give either an advantage.  Also I feel as much as I want to count them out, I can’t count out the playoff Blackhawks.

Now the teams I would give us a slight advantage over would be the St. Louis Blues (hot take I know) and the Calgary Flames.  I feel like we’re just a bit better than the Flames overall and especially in goal.  Also, We always do seem to play very well against the Blues.  We won the season series this year and we just seemed to be able to shut down most of their scoring.

Finally, the teams I’d feel the Canucks should easily beat are the Edmonton Oilers, Nashville Predators, and Minnesota Wild.  We absolutely dominated all these teams in control of play this year and our pp was automatic against Nashville.  When watching the games we played against these teams, I felt confident the Canucks would win them even though Edmonton and Minnesota were able to steal a lucky few.

Anyway, I’m just anticipating playoff hockey can’t wait for August 2nd.

Edited by Rindiculous

St Louis - We shouldn't, but we seem to have their number
Flames
Hawks
Oilers - could go either way, depends on goal tending from the Oilers.
Nashville
Arizona
Wild

There's no reason we shouldn't beat those teams aside from EDM and STL

Way to much to put on the young guys shoulders way too soon, just like Edmonton and Buffalo are often accused of doing, only it is here now and most seem to think it is a great idea now, throw the kids into the fire and ask for everything..

Maybe Arizona but that it.

Best Chance of Winning

Nashville, Chicago and St. Louis will be my top 3 picks for playoff opponents base.

Historically, the Canucks always beat the Blues in the playoffs match up, and we do well against them this regular season. Nashville is the team we lit them up with our powerplay and we swept their season series. Canucks usually get the upper hand against Rhinne. The new generation of Canucks all thrive playing against the Blackhawks. Statistically in career points per game, this team is a team full of Blackhawk killers.

The 50/50s:

Oilers, Flames, Wild, Avalanche, Stars and Coyotes.

Oilers is a divisional rival and our season series with them this year tells me it will be a toss up. The Flames will also be a close one for me as historically when we meet them the series goes to 7 games. Wild, Stars and Coyotes play a similar style of game, we must fully execute the game plan to beat them and it is vice versa for them. Avalanche will likely beat us, but I won't put them in the no chance category as recent match ups suggests that we atleast stood a small chance of beating them.

No chance:

Jets and Golden Knights

I don't even remember when was the last time we won a game against the Jets and I don't think the Canucks have ever beaten the Jets team with Hellebyuck in net. The Canucks has also yet to beat the Knights in regulation since their inception. If the Canucks ever face those 2 teams, it is going to be a quick 4 game sweep or if we are lucky, we get 1 win.

49 minutes ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

Flames
Hawks
Nashville
Arizona
Wild

I agree with this list, except the Hawks gave us some problems (not so much because their offense is still that elite but our D-group was sloppy).

The rest I think we stand a good chance against (as long as we don't get disorganized against more system-based teams like the Coyotes/ Wild)

Honestly I think just the Jets, Knights and Champion Blues are the ones that pose the biggest challenge. I honestly think we can go up against anybody else yes even the Avs as we always play a high tempo run and gun game against them. I’m actually hoping for a Canucks Avs matchup if we can take care of business with Minny. 

Edited by EP Phone Home

2 hours ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

Flames
Hawks
Nashville
Arizona
Wild

Pretty much this. 

2 hours ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

Flames
Hawks
Nashville
Arizona
Wild

Soilers are an AHL team after their top line.  A series of good physical play against McDiver should help neutralize that threat.

33 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Soilers are an AHL team after their top line.  A series of good physical play against McDiver should help neutralize that threat.

They didn't seem to have much of an issue when McDavid was completely missing from the game.

• Upvote 1

The optimism is to the level of being comical. 
Favoured to the champs who have been one of the best in the league. 
I don’t think we are really a favourite to anyone. Close with some teams. 
Doesn’t mean we can’t beat anyone but things need to go right especially Markstrom. 
What I want to see is Colorado. Those are just great games when we play them. Would love to see some rivalry develop.