The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Minnesota Wild at Vancouver Canucks | Aug. 02, 2020 | Wild lead series 1-0

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

Nope, just an inexperience issue

I still think it's hilarious people feel they know Green inside and out from watching hockey games on tv. Most coaching is done behind the scenes ... something isn't translating for me.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Example of attack triangle...which can be executed at the NHL level.

They need to set this up every time!

the emphasis is get the puck wide with speed!

Edited by Pete M
  • Cheers 2

11 hours ago, NorthWestNuck said:

I’ve come to realize that as good as Miller is, if the opposition gets an early jump, it can be really easy to get Miller frustrated and off his game. 

I used to play with a guy who was often the best player on the ice--super skilled, tenacious, fearsome competitor. When we had a late start, though, and he had a couple of beers in the parking lot beforehand, his game was off. Still good but slower, not as sharp, prone to falling. That's how J.T. Miller looked to me in Game 1. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Pete M said:

bingo. perfect examples. 

Even the one with Jake, he's able to go off wing where he's always been a better scorer or play maker. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

bingo. perfect examples. 

Even the one with Jake, he's able to go off wing where he's always been a better scorer or play maker. 

Thanks Jimmy for listening.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Pete M said:

So you just teach people to Bruin at full pace? That doesn't seem like a teachable moment to me. Did they do anything but skate at full pace? I am losing faith. More of an observation of how a triangle works but ... or do you simply mean play with depth and don't get caught in the same tangent ... because that's way different than setting up a triangle :lol:

Edited by Gawdzukes

2 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

So you just teach people to Bruin at full pace? That doesn't seem like a teachable moment to me. Did they do anything but skate at full pace? I am losing faith. More of an observation of how a triangle works but ...

some people just can't be taught....those people are usually cut from the team...it's like talking to an 8 year old...ffs

After a whole night, I can finally come down to writing a review for last night's game.

Yes, the officiation is horrible, but this is not the only reason we lost the game. The Canucks got sucked into the Wild's game plan, which was playing that boring line-matching physical style game. If the Canucks want to win the series, they must readjust and dicate the flow of the game themselves by forcing the Wild to play a speed game. The Canucks play at their best when they can utilize their speed and skill and penetrate the high danger shooting area. We need players to skate with the puck and take it hard to the net, create net front presence and score the dirty goals. Wear down the Wild D by throwing the puck into the corner area, forcing the Wild players to get the puck and then hamer them with hit after hit after hit to wear them down. Stay out of the box, be discipline, and patient for our chance to get on the PP and the PP must get going quickly.

• Cheers 2

I actually picked the Wild to win the 1st game in the prediction thread. Didn't think we'd get shutout..

I've been saying all week....

Structured, gritty, size,  defensively sound team with veteran leadership.. they do great board work in the offensive zone. Spurgeon is a heck of a player and is a hidden gem in hockey because he plays in Minny.  

Their coach has them playing the type of game that wins in playoffs. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

I actually picked the Wild to win the 1st game in the prediction thread. Didn't think we'd get shutout..

I've been saying all week....

Structured, gritty, size,  defensively sound team with veteran leadership.. they do great board work in the offensive zone. Spurgeon is a heck of a player and is a hidden gem in hockey because he plays in Minny.  

Their coach has them playing the type of game that wins in playoffs. 

You're right about spurgeon.

I had him in my yahoo season pool as one of my last dmen picked and he was money all season long

• Upvote 1

Keep sutter up, sit pearson and roussell for mac and virt

Terrible showing, nobody going to the tough spots or even the slot... 80% of shots from the defenceman? Green needs to get over the dump and chase cycle game, it hasn't worked since before the Sedins retired. Just garbage.

If they can get the lead in game 2 it will force Minny to open up and their d will take more chances.  When that team has a 2 goal lead they are tough to crack. 

They need to selectively target some of their better players and make them miserable.  A guy like Dumba should have a target on his back.  Problem is that our heavier punishing players are on the bottom 2 lines and those lines seem to get worked in our d zone all night.  Maybe need to give Ferly or Jake a few shifts on the top 2 lines.

• Cheers 1

These are 2 very equal teams, which is amazing in that it did not look like it....

I attribute it to coaching and execution, which is game plan

I equate this to the maturity of our game changers in some way, as

Pettersson, and Hughes had absolutely no time to move and set up

Minni did this by closing the gap and giving Pettersson and Hughes no room

This of course was done to all our players, which  have even less skill than

our dynamic duo............so what was our adjustment?..........nothing!

Stay the course........which is where I find in general that Green and company

fail at miserably, when put in that position...........

There is room out there, you just have to find it, which is hard if you don't know where to look

this is where interference, stretch passes, speed and players that can skate through

their neutral zone interference come in handy.

Basically, once gaining control in your own zone, long stretch passes with your wingers busting

and beating out icing calls, stretches out their defense, and creates room

But this can not be done if, our guys are not interfering with their forecheck prior

to us getting control. It is a game plan, and needs to be practiced regularly.

IMO, what Minni did was play  playoff hockey. prepared and dedicated

Sorry to say, but it was coaching and game plan.......as I said in my first remarks

They are 2 very even teams

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

39 minutes ago, StealthNuck said:

This is it in a nutshell.

Canucks were significantly outplayed. They made bad passes and shot it wide all night. Stalock got a 28-save shutout, but only a few of the shots were dangerous.