The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Minnesota Wild at Vancouver Canucks | Aug. 02, 2020 | Wild lead series 1-0

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

I would sell high on Pearson this off season. His regular season point totals just don’t match the eye-test. He was the worst player on the ice last night.

I’d put Ferland with Bo and Toffoli, Boeser back with JT and Petey. I don’t think Brock will be “holding back” the top line anymore, and he’s a better player than Toff when he’s 100%.

Insert Jake and Mac. Not sure who comes out in that scenario, but we need the youthful energy, size, and speed they possess.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

Boeser and Petey don't work and will be a disaster against that too 4 d of Minny

OK, so barring just doing the same plan next game and saying 'execute better' - what do you think Green should do? 

• Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, messier's_elbow said:

Stetcher looked overwhelmed for a lot of the game. I think Boeser and TT should switch spots. I’d take Gaudette out and put Sutter at Center between Ferland and Jake. 

That was my thoughts as well. I mean, did Gaudette win even one draw last night? Did he make any plays? I love the kid and he's got a bright future but...

I don't even care if it's Virtanen that gets back in, especially if his game/conditioning aren't up to snuff. Maybe it's MacEwan for his size/truculance. Maybe it's Eriksson to help out against the PP that scored twice on us yesterday and was basically what lost the game. Either way that's the main switch that needs to happen IMO.

And I agree, I've been saying since we acquired him that Toffoli fits better on the Horvat line and Boeser on Pettersson's.

Might be time to reunite Edler and Myers as well, as I also agree, Stecher looked overmatched most of the game.

Either way, this isn't a 'coaching' issue as many are complaining about. There was a pretty clear lack of execution by the players. Same lack of execution we've seen in parts of the whole season. That's on the players.

I'll give Petey a pass as he was getting mauled and abused with at least one guy draped over him the entire game (with zero calls) but the rest of them (top 6 in particular) needs to execute a LOT better and force their way to the front of the net.

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

That was my thoughts as well. I mean, did Gaudette win even one draw last night? Did he make any plays? I love the kid and he's got a bright future but...

I don't even care if it's Virtanen that gets back in, especially if his game/conditioning aren't up to snuff. Maybe it's MacEwan for his size/truculance. Maybe it's Eriksson to help out against the PP that scored twice on us yesterday and was basically what lost the game. Either way that's the main switch that needs to happen IMO.

And I agree, I've been saying since we acquired him that Toffoli fits better on the Horvat line and Boeser on Pettersson's.

Might be time to reunite Edler and Myers as well, as I also agree, Stecher looked overmatched most of the game.

Either way, this isn't a 'coaching' issue as many are complaining about. There was a pretty clear lack of execution by the players. Same lack of execution we've seen in parts of the whole season. That's on the players.

I'll give Petey a pass as he was getting mauled and abused with at least one guy draped over him the entire game (with zero calls) but the rest of them (top 6 in particular) needs to execute a LOT better and force their way to the front of the net.

I heard on a radio hit Gaudette was over 50% in the FO circle. but i honestly didn't notice him on the ice except for maybe 1 or 2 shifts early on lol.

Not a chance that fourth line gets touched.  Sure they got burned that led to the first goal, but they were by far the most consistent line last night.  They created lots of sustained pressure and had some of our best scoring chances.  Statistically, they were also our best line in generating shots, hits, faceoffs, and takeaways.  Green trusts that fourth line, and you can see simply by how much minutes he entrusted to them in that game.  Considering how we struggled with the PK, doubt TG takes out the guys he trusts to play there.

The line that will change is the third line.  Gaudette played the least of all the forwards, Roussel tried to get things stirred up but just doesn't move the same way like he did before his knee injury.

If Jake, Loui or Mac get in it is at the expense of those two.  I suspect Virt and Loui coming in for Gauds and Rouss

Edited by CRAZY_4_NAZZY
  • Cheers 1

I mostly agree and hope Green sits the guys who don't wanna show up like he says was the reason he did it to others like Goldy and Virt and Baertschi. 

Poor execution a few times is on the players but the amount of times it’s happened this year is more than a player issue. It’s strikes of bigger issues.

- Does the system we play suit the type of players we have?
- Have the players not bought into the system

- are the players confused about what the coach/system wants them to do

- is there a clear game plan or are we allowing players to much freedom to express themselves on the ice resulting in a disjoin/miss communication between players?

1 minute ago, UKNuck96 said:

Poor execution a few times is on the players but the amount of times it’s happened this year is more than a player issue. It’s strikes of bigger issues.

- is there a clear game plan or are we allowing players to much freedom to express themselves on the ice resulting in a disjoin/miss communication between players?

The one player I am slightly disappointed in is Bo. But this is his second ever playoffs and this is an entirely different style team then the one he faced vs calgary. I think Bo and boes need a new linemate. I'm sticking with the move pearson to the third line narrative. I think we will see more from bo then.

Edited by Rush17

2 minutes ago, UKNuck96 said:

Also speaks to how young the most important players on our team are.

• Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

OK, so barring just doing the same plan next game and saying 'execute better' - what do you think Green should do? 

It's not up to Green, it's up to the players.  If they're going to play on the perimeter it's going to be a 3 game series.  They were ok with pushing the d back on the rush, but that's where it ended.  They have to keep shooting from the point, but they've got to fight to get inside.

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, UKNuck96 said:

A lot of these question stem to coaching. Green looks out of his element here and is being schooled. He has presented no ability to assess his game plans and adjust accordingly in countermeasures when things are badly failing. 

• Huggy Bear 1

12 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

And we know that Boeser with Petey is a completely perimeter line who give the puck away and get hemmed in their own end non stop.  They do well against teams with d corps they can exploit, but that's not going to work with Minny

2 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

A lot of these question stem to coaching. Green looks out of his element here and is being schooled. He has presented no ability to assess his game plans and adjust accordingly in countermeasures when things are badly failing. 

How so?  The players have to execute.........do you honestly believe that Green's strategy is to play on the perimeter?  Come on

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

It's not up to Green, it's up to the players.  If they're going to play on the perimeter it's going to be a 3 game series.  They were ok with pushing the d back on the rush, but that's where it ended.  They have to keep shooting from the point, but they've got to fight to get inside.

This.

9 minutes ago, aGENT said:

...but the rest of them (top 6 in particular) needs to execute a LOT better and force their way to the front of the net.

Blaming this on coaching is just lazy. Players need to execute. Players need to get in the slot/front of the net. At the NHL level, in the playoffs in particular, that means paying the price to get there (and dishing out as much as you take). Few on the team looked willing or able last night.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Moose Nuckle said:

@mll

Too bad Ferland fought and made Minny win the game eh?

:bigblush:

Zucker is an undersized skilled player that doesn't fight.  Not the same as having two guys in the same weight class going after each other in a staged fight.  I can understand why Boudreau felt it sparked them.  The Wild were also slow to start games and were often falling behind in the 1st period.  By end of January they were bottom 5 in the league in goals scored in the 1st period.  Boudreau was at wit's end on how to get his team to start games on time. 

This was different - two known fighters deciding to get their teams going early.  Fwiw the day before Foligno talked about how Williams ignited Carolina by fighting.  It was fairly predictable that he would want to do the same.   Would think that Ferland also watched that game.

2 minutes ago, mll said:

Zucker is an undersized skilled player that doesn't fight.  Not the same as having two guys in the same weight class going after each other in a staged fight.  I can understand why Boudreau felt it sparked them.  The Wild were also slow to start games and were often falling behind in the 1st period.  By end of January they were bottom 5 in the league in goals scored in the 1st period.  Boudreau was at wit's end on how to get his team to start games on time. 

This was different - two known fighters deciding to get their teams going early.  Fwiw the day before Foligno talked about how Williams ignited Carolina by fighting.  It was fairly predictable that he would want to do the same.   Would think that Ferland also watched that game.

I forgot Virtanen was an unskilled fighter.

"IT DOESN'T FIT MY NARRATIVE THIS TIME" - mll, 2020

Edited by Moose Nuckle