The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Minnesota Wild at Vancouver Canucks | Aug. 02, 2020 | Wild lead series 1-0

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

The PK units allowed two goals against.

Any player in the bottom 6 can be taken out as far as I’m concerned. They didn’t get the job done.

I would like to see Sutter, Roussel, and Pearson sat. Insert Virtanen, MacEwan, and Eriksson.

Miller Pettersson Toffoli

Ferland Horvat Boeser

Eriksson Gaudette Virtanen

Motte Beagle MacEwan

2 goofy pp goals, blame marky if you wanta look for PK blame.

Edited by HockeyHarry
  • Like 1

Just now, FaninMex said:

Gretz had cementhead to counter the grabbing and holding. I think Pety needs a Virt or Ferland to soften up the D and to deter the D from taking liberties.

maxresdefault.jpg

Too bad this guy could never get control of his inner demons here.  Would look great being EP's shadow.  Plus he can skate (and thus keep up with him all over the ice)

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, aGENT said:

But they didn't stifle us because our strategy failed. They stifled us because we failed to execute it. Changing to another strategy doesn't fix a lack of execution. All it does is make you implement a less preferred strategy and possibly confuse players.. Which leads to even worse execution.

One might argue saying "players need to execute" is lazy and letting coaches off the hook. Sad fact of the matter is the players didn't play poorly, they were just beating their heads against a brick wall. They had lots of possession early. As frustration set in, they started bobbling pucks and missed passes.

Nobody is letting players off the hook, especially the bottom 6. But you have to admit nothing changed throughout the game. Gotta try  switching up something. Anything. Same game plan, same lines, same rotation. Failed at the beginning, failed in the end.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

These guys are supposed “pros”. They shouldn’t be confused that easily. We were stilled because the Wild’s strategy was better than ours. This is when you improvise, adapt and overcome. 

As I said, 'these guys' (our most important players anyway) are largely a bunch of young kids. Most of whom have seen zero NHL playoff games.

• Cheers 2

Just now, HockeyHarry said:

2 goofy goals pp goals, blame marky if you wanta look for blame.

Up to the pkers to not allow the shots though.

We need as much offense as possible either way with how hard it is to score.

If we’re filling the roster with shutdown guys to counter a team without much offense something is wrong.

1 minute ago, N7Nucks said:

One might argue saying "players need to execute" is lazy and letting coaches off the hook. Sad fact of the matter is the players didn't play poorly, they were just beating their heads against a brick wall. They had lots of possession early. As frustration set in, they started bobbling pucks and missed passes.

Nobody is letting players off the hook, especially the bottom 6. But you have to admit nothing changed throughout the game. Gotta try  switching up something. Anything. Same game plan, same lines, same rotation. Failed at the beginning, failed in the end.

They need to get to the net. Possession doesn't mean much if it's almost all perimeter. They need to force their way through that 'brick wall' or its going to be a short series. That's on the players.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Up to the pkers to not allow the shots though.

We need as much offense as possible either way with how hard it is to score.

If we’re filling the roster with shutdown guys to counter a team without much offense something is wrong.

The problem this series is there no offensive space for Canucks. So any player looking to create offense with fantasy plays ain’t going to find it. Crash the net and get ugly goals.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

But they are targeting and controlling Petey now, on a supposedly better line. I'd rather have Boeser shooting from the outside than any of our d. 

Even if you don't want the lotto line back, I think Green has better line options than last night. Jake needs in somehow. 

Well everyone knows where I stand in Jake.  Boeser doesn't have the same $&!# he used to, he's useless from the perimeter.  Mostly it's the turnovers and getting hemmed in their own end.

• Wat 1

1 minute ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I don't follow the Wild but I'd guess they play that way during the regular season.  Win on specialty teams (as it looks like they have the personnel to play that way).

The Wild are 6th in the league in 5v5 goals.  They have scored 15 more 5v5 goals than the Canucks while allowing also 5 less.   

By end of December their PP was 20th in the league at 17.8%.   Fiala moved up to the 1st unit sometime in early 2020.   From 1 January onwards they were 4th at 26.4%.

• Thanks 3
  • Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

The Wild imposed a defensive strategy that stifled the Canucks. His job is to have responsive set plays and countermeasures. The Canucks didn’t change their game plan one bit. This part is on the coach. 

if they actually do what I've been preaching...they will get scoring chances....they just have to do it.

The dump in doesn't work so well against a team that have Dumba, Sutter, Spurgeon, and Brodin in the line up. All good skating and puck moving D who can play physical.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

Well everyone knows where I stand in Jake.  Boeser doesn't have the same $&!# he used to, he's useless from the perimeter.  Mostly it's the turnovers and getting hemmed in their own end.

you keep talking about BBs turnovers, said he was coughing it up all night last night.

Stats (a little more objective than you when it comes to BB i suppose) dont lie.  18+ minutes of play, how many give aways?

http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreports/20192020/ES030081.HTM

stats.JPG

Edited by Darius
  • Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, mll said:

The Wild are 6th in the league in 5v5 goals.  They have scored 15 more 5v5 goals than the Canucks while allowing also 5 less.   

By end of December their PP was 20th in the league at 17.8%.   Fiala moved up to the 1st unit sometime in early 2020.   From 1 January onwards they were 4th at 26.4%.

Sounds like they made necessary adjustments for this "postseason".  

If the wild are going to keep on collapsing low we need to be patient and play a possession game.  Control the puck make it a low event game.  Force them to come to us.  Our point men were getting lots of shots if they are selling out on shot blocks utilize some fakes and open up the ice.

1 hour ago, Canuckster86 said:

Game 2 Forward lineup I would like to see:

Ferland Miller Pettersson- Ferly for size/protection

Virtanen Horvat Boeser- Jake for speed and grit hopefully...

Pearson Sutter Toffoli- Sutter with 2 decent wingers

Motte Beagle Roussel- Crash N bang line hopefully...

This is bang on and I am not sure why this wasn't game 1's line up. The playoffs are a whole new beast and Green is taking it like its the regular season still. Gaud was barely learning his craft in the regular season and some how he is ready to anchor his own line in the playoffs? We need that third line to be a scoring threat and not a time when we are going to teach our prospects how to play in the NHL.

Did Green not think Petey needed some kind of "deterent" in the playoffs?

Was Jake's youthful energy, speed, size, aggression and skill suddenly not needed in the playoffs? 

Green's inexperience was starting to show in the regular season as the team progresses and its really becoming obvious now that he is coaching in the playoffs.

15 minutes ago, HockeyHarry said:

The problem this series is there no offensive space for Canucks. So any player looking to create offense with fantasy plays ain’t going to find it. Crash the net and get ugly goals.

Which is exactly why we need big bodies like Virtanen and MacEwan in the lineup.

Even Eriksson is decent around the net over his career.

Tired of seeing Sutter not contribute. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1