The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Minnesota Wild at Vancouver Canucks | Aug. 02, 2020 | Wild lead series 1-0

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

18 minutes ago, Darius said:

you keep talking about BBs turnovers, said he was coughing it up all night last night.

Stats (a little more objective than you when it comes to BB i suppose) dont lie.  18+ minutes of play, how many give aways?

http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreports/20192020/ES030081.HTM

stats.JPG

I saw 5, personally, regardless of them being recorded or not.

• Haha 1

Just now, Pete M said:

if they actually do what I've been preaching...they will get scoring chances....they just have to do it.

The dump in doesn't work so well against a team that have Dumba, Sutter, Spurgeon, and Brodin in the line up. All good skating and puck moving D who can play physical.

Fight fire with fire then, we have tough guys up front who can carry in pucks together and grind things out.  Stack two of them to a line to help the skill break through the wall and generate chances on Stalock (they didn't really get into the ice directly in front of him).  It's ironic though that the pure finesse guys/ leaders on the team may be at a disadvantage in this series, and I'd like to see them split (note: try to not view this as a 1st to 4th line but waves of grit, each with skill on it).  

Ferland - Miller - Pete (let Micheal loose, his size definitely would help in attacking the crease)
Jake - Bo - Boeser (Brock's also 200+ lbs and can skate, have Jake/ Bo lug the puck hope that would help with battling against the big, mobile D) 
Roussel - Sutter - MacEwen (win draws, grind, cycle and work it out front; these wings have had chemistry)
Bailey - Beagle - Toffoli (for all their heart and talent, Motte's too small and Pearson's slow; Bailey can likely skate his way out of trouble)

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

I saw 5, personally, regardless of them being recorded or not.

if only the stats keeper disliked the player as much as you do they might have not have missed another 50% of total team turn overs coming from one player...lol....

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I think thats the general consensus this am, we need more of ^ 

I'm curious if Bo could be that center who could re-create some semblance of That 70's Line, which was known for effective puck retrieval and second chance attempts

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Phil_314 said:

I'm curious if Bo could be that center who could re-create some semblance of That 70's Line, which was known for effective puck retrieval and second chance attempts

I'm curious if 70 ever wears blue again. After last night I'd slot in Erikkson over him.

In game prediction I said Minn 3 Van 1

I could give two S#%Ts that I was close to correct.

They give us trouble every time we meet them. We say the right things, what were gonna do, how were going to play blah blah blah but panic when we get there. Talk all good talk in the locker room but then get mugged and smothered by an ugly handsy octopus whenever we enter the offensive one.

Petie gets hit every chance, we knew that was coming. Do we counter? No we keep sending in the same play.

Our slow pedestrian guys are great during regular season but this is the playoffs/play ins. We're getting Sedined all over again. We need more size and speed, add Jake-McEwen-Bailey and out smother them. (And draw more penalties)

Goodgod Greens focus should be on Minny not on babysitting his roster, it took our focus off the game. No 'Jake's gotta learn blah blah blah'..Bo fell into it too hand wringing talking about character stuff..

We were not ready, we knew who the ref was. We have to play through that crap. Keep hussling to the net.Hit back.

Boudreau talked about their chemistry working from 'listening and respect'. I don't think we're getting the right messages from Green.

We need pro-active leadership, we can't depend on panic energy from playing from behind,  Don Knott's style.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Jesus your hate for Boeser is pathetic at best.

23year old sniper.  

He'll  be scoring in the 40s regular season goals next cpl years...injuries set him back a bit.  

Edited by WHL rocks
  • Cheers 1

40 minutes ago, aGENT said:

But they didn't stifle us because our strategy failed. They stifled us because we failed to execute it. Changing to another strategy doesn't fix a lack of execution. All it does is make you implement a less preferred strategy and possibly confuse players.. Which leads to even worse execution.

Did you consider that if the players continually fail to execute a strategy, even in a "mean everything" game, it just might be the strategy itself?  That the other team has found a way to neutralize it effectively?

And I'd be pretty gobsmacked to find out that Green would decide to stick to a strategy, no matter how it turns out (a 3-0 shutout) based on what he's always "preferred". Like always choosing one preferred ice cream flavour. Shades of Willy D.  Altering strategies of play, sometimes mitigated by the roster due to things like injury, or being ineffective against certain teams, should regarded more as a horizontal move, not dipping down to a lesser non preferred system.  A coach should not be coaching at the NHL level if he doesn't have multiple strategies in his back pocket for different situations and games. And regards them as workable alternative strategies to fit the situation, not "less preferred" strategies that he relents to implementing.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

23year old sniper.  

He'll  be scoring in the 40s regular season goals next cpl years...injuries set him back a bit.  

He sucks and is a turnover machine according to some. And doesn’t work with and drags Petey down. Despite Petey winning the Calder with Boeser on his wing

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, rotiman187 said:

Lol at people blaming markstrom. How do you expect to win the game when you cant even score a goal. 

Same people that blamed Luongo.

I thought when Marky skated way out of his net last night that he was going to just keep going and show our forwards how to score. The guy can’t do everything for us.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

Fight fire with fire then, we have tough guys up front who can carry in pucks together and grind things out.  Stack two of them to a line to help the skill break through the wall and generate chances on Stalock (they didn't really get into the ice directly in front of him).  It's ironic though that the pure finesse guys/ leaders on the team may be at a disadvantage in this series, and I'd like to see them split (note: try to not view this as a 1st to 4th line but waves of grit, each with skill on it).  

Ferland - Miller - Pete (let Micheal loose, his size definitely would help in attacking the crease)
Jake - Bo - Boeser (Brock's also 200+ lbs and can skate, have Jake/ Bo lug the puck hope that would help with battling against the big, mobile D) 
Roussel - Sutter - MacEwen (win draws, grind, cycle and work it out front; these wings have had chemistry)
Bailey - Beagle - Toffoli (for all their heart and talent, Motte's too small and Pearson's slow; Bailey can likely skate his way out of trouble)

This

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

He sucks and is a turnover machine according to some. And doesn’t work with and drags Petey down. Despite Petey winning the Calder with Boeser on his wing

I didn't quite like his body language when he got the puck poked away from him on a rush. Just stood in frustrating for a second. Got to get on your horse and get it back

6 hours ago, mll said:

Minnesota know Roussel from his Dallas days.  He's going to have a hard time getting them off their game.  They are too familiar with his ways.  He even ran Dubnyk at the time and they just shrugged it off.  He went on to spear Winnik and had to turtle to protect himself.  If he wants to run around Foligno will challenge him.  Their media/broadcasters have pointed out that he seems to get carried away against the Wild and ends up hurting his team instead.

Good points. That's the way it's always been with him, though... it's a fine line for him to walk. When he's most effective as a pest, he can be a game changer in shutting down offense. Really depends, too, on how the game is being called.

Still, I believe we need guys like Roussel and Ferland to keep pushing those boundaries - testing those boundaries - but it's also up to Green to know when to reel them back. I hope Green is really communicating with both of them today.