The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Minnesota Wild at Vancouver Canucks | Aug. 02, 2020 | Wild lead series 1-0

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

5 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

I hold players/coaches to a higher standard than games played. To be elite you kind of need to be, ya know. Elite. He was a good player, found a place in the league. But was he ever in the realm of a Kovalchuk, or Naslund, or Tavares etc? No, they are elite. He was a serviceable player that found a niche in the league. He's an average coach and his biggest achievement is winning in a teen's league and going to the finals in the AHL once and as far as I know they did nothing else in his tenure. But hey, low standards makes us all winners. :)

Everyone seems to think Travis alone won in the dub. He was the assistant coach and took over as interim for the last part of a season due to head coach Mike Johnston getting suspended. 

That team made the finals 2011-2014.

Green was the assistant coach on it, not the head coach. 

15 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

I hold players/coaches to a higher standard than games played. To be elite you kind of need to be, ya know. Elite. He was a good player, found a place in the league. But was he ever in the realm of a Kovalchuk, or Naslund, or Tavares etc? No, they are elite. He was a serviceable player that found a niche in the league. He's an average coach and his biggest achievement is winning in a teen's league and going to the finals in the AHL once and as far as I know they did nothing else in his tenure. But hey, low standards makes us all winners. :)

Even though you have never attained those standards yourself.  How many games did you play or coach in a major junior league?   Anyone that makes it to the NHL is elite.  

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Chris12345 said:

Losers complain about refs. Remember when the Canadian women's hockey team had like 100 -1 penalties to the USA in the Olympics? Winners win. Losers complain.

Tanner Pearson needs to ride pine for that garbage.

Pearson, Bo, Miller, Toffoli all should have taken a turn "on pine" during the game.

This is where being in control of your bench wins games for good coaches.

Bench those guys for 2 shifts each in the first 2 periods, remember all that "depth" fans keep talking about, that is 1-2 more shifts for the bottom 6 guys to wake those coasters up

switching Virtanen for Ericksson does nothing when four of your top six forget to show up.

penalties by your two, $6 Mil D-men in the first period didn't help either, but he does not have the horses to bench those 2

on a separatenote, who jumped on as the 7th attacker? He should have been first to ride pine, although I think Green could have held him back. I htink he jumped from right in front of Greenie

7 minutes ago, samurai said:

Even though you have never attained those standards yourself.  How many games did you play or coach in a major junior league?   Anyone that makes it to the NHL is elite.  

everone is elite...

in their mother's eyes

7 minutes ago, samurai said:

No they aren't. Hall of famers are elite. 

Your neighbour that has a house 100 square feet bigger than yours isn't elite just because it's something you haven't attained. 

2 hours ago, canuck2288 said:

He speaks as if he is a 3 time Stanley cup winning coach yet he has not won squat nor is he capable of winning 

can’t wait till he is gone 

Wow its like a broken record, it just keeps going on and on and on.....

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

18 minutes ago, Moose Nuckle said:

Everyone seems to think Travis alone won in the dub. He was the assistant coach and took over as interim for the last part of a season due to head coach Mike Johnston getting suspended. 

That team made the finals 2011-2014.

Green was the assistant coach on it, not the head coach. 

He inherited a great team and likely followed the blueprint of the guy before? Well damn, and here I am giving him credit for his one accomplishment. Silly me.

3 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

He inherited a great team and likely followed the blueprint of the guy before? Well damn, and here I am giving him credit for his one accomplishment. Silly me.

Haha exactly. The suspended coach took the team over again after that. The suspended coach was the Canucks assistant coach from 99-06. He probably taught Green a ton, but awarding him alone with that accomplishment is a bit of an overstatement. 

Green isn't a bad coach, he just doesn't seem to be creative enough to get to the next level. 

Edited by Moose Nuckle

12 hours ago, Bure2Win said:

So i see the Canucks get screwed again with Ferland getting a 5000 fine and Kunin only getting a 1000.....Typical.

The fines were obligatory. Ferland deserved a bigger fine than Kunin, and he also makes close to 5x more money. If the salaries were accounted for, it's pretty even. I think we're lucky he didn't get suspended, knowing the DOPS.

20 hours ago, IBatch said:

Ha ha.  Sure they didn’t run the goalie enough.   Each period we came in flying (bad preparation indeed) and were all over them for long stretches (inferior indeed).  A hot goalie performance and one of the best teams in the league at limiting chances .... hmmm (before and after their coaching change).   MIN found  their offense in Fiala down the stretch and it’s turned them into a deadly team.   Doubt we’d have as much of a challenge against 2/3 the other teams in the playoffs.   It is what it is - we are playing against a top defensive team and are not a top team ourselves (comparing our Ds it’s not even close).   

AG, Pearson, and TT had bad games (for different reasons).   Suppose that’s on the coaching staff too.   JV should slot in when he’s healthy and AG should come out.   Ferland was a beast for us last night...EP would have drawn 5 penalties in the regular season.   To me it was a coin toss who should have won that game, we lost - move on.   How is it bad preparation when we come in hot each period and force the play anyways?  The score didn’t reflect the actual play that’s for sure.   

I disagree. They forced the play but didn’t get enough grade A chances on the inside. Looked boxed out the entire game. Not to mention the bad performances from a lot of the top 6. 

They looked sloppy and unmotivated as the game went on. In fairness, the Wild’s offence was brutal, but defensively they outclassed us. 

Like you said though, on to the next one.

Edited by PetterssonOrPeterson

to beat a 5 man tight box out, you have to beat them on the rush (maintain puck possession)...and you set the rush up by utilizing all three zones on the regroup (spread the ice)...

if Minny adjusts to this attack, then you dump it in and employ an aggressive forecheck...for them (Wild) to adjust to a team setting up the rush, they will have to play up on the blue line and challenge at the blue line, which will allow for a more effective forecheck if the Nucks dump it in...Canucks need to counter to what the Wild give them and execute with speed.

It's hard to beat a tight box with all five players defending the danger zone; therefore, you have to beat them before they set up the box. They need to utilize the whole ice in order to spread the Wild out.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Conscience said:

I think it is a problem . Perimeter shots are not a threat and the cycle was easily shutdown. You need more than one way to score. 

Exactly, once Minny sets up the 5 man box, it's very hard to get into the inside...furthermore, Minny is very disciplined with the box because they don't chase, they allow the other team to play on the perimeter and their focus is to take away the danger zone, which limits scoring chances

This is why setting up the rush by moving the puck in all three zones will open up the box...gotta remember I'm talking hockey here (all this talk about boxes)...lol