The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Minnesota Wild | August 4th, 2020 | 7:45pm PT, SNP | SCQ Game #2

Rate this topic

Roberts

4 hours ago, theo5789 said:

What if changes are made and they still lose?

Then the changes were not the right changes 

not a matter of simply changing the lineup, that’s only part of it 

line pairings, line matchups, trap breaks down d zone coverage 

mu concern is that frankly is beyond Green’s abilities 

• Wat 1

2 minutes ago, DarthMelvin said:

I really hope Edler got a talking to about his defensive blunders last game.

What the heck was that lame sprawl he did on the second goal???

excuse me wtf GIF by Chicago Fire

Marky and Edler split blame on that one. Markstrom only had one pad down. If he was in the butterfly, that one hits him.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

don't make life so easy for him

Bang on. I also like what Bertuzzi said, thanks for the quote. He's right. I'm hoping Horvat will wake up, and the 2 ex-Kings need to step up. Miller looks like he's in a bit of a funk, I hope everything is okay with him. He provides a lot of grit and offence when he's on his game. They need to break through and crash the net. They have to want it bad enough. 

• Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Bertuzzi weighs in:  (Paraphrase):  They have to get to the net..any team can do that.  The Canucks have the speed to get back into the play and to the net.  What it takes is the will and balls to do so.  Canucks have speed and need to use it.

He isn't wrong.  Stir it up in the crease and stay locked on Stalock (bad, I know).  But don't make life so easy for him....he's confident right now and the team needs to give him something to think about.  

That's only part of the equation. We had guys at net-front but not when the puck was there. Battling in front doesn't matter if there's no puck there to get a rebound or deflect. Timing to the net so the cross check etc. are worth taking to make a play.

• Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Bang on. I also like what Bertuzzi said, thanks for the quote. He's right. I'm hoping Horvat will wake up, and the 2 ex-Kings need to step up. Miller looks like he's in a bit of a funk, I hope everything is okay with him. He provides a lot of grit and offence when he's on his game. They need to break through and crash the net. They have to want it bad enough. 

Miller took a bit of a high hit/shot early on....I tried to capture it from a video but the shot panned away and it was only partially visible.  I wonder if it hurt him or more that it just threw him off his game mentally (as a cheap shot that ticked him off that he dwelled on).  Wild got credited for playing great but they also did some dirty crap when they saw they could get away with it.

I'll try to find the partial clip I saw.....

Which leads to my biggest question at the moment:  who's officiating this game?  Do we know that (VC)?  ;)

• Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

Marky and Edler split blame on that one. Markstrom only had one pad down. If he was in the butterfly, that one hits him.

slightly true...but Edler and his indecision to either lie down or go knee...

You have Marky trying hard to look beyond Edler . stretching his neck to see who has and where the puck is. Watch the difference in defensive blocks tonight. 

15 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Personally I'd taking Gaudette out as well and inserting MacEwen.  I like the kid but he looked totally outclassed.

Which is why they want to give him another shot. Would not be a good way to end his year. If he comes out the same , he will sit no doubt.

1 minute ago, debluvscanucks said:

Miller took a bit of a high hit/shot early on....I tried to capture it from a video but the shot panned away and it was only partially visible.  I wonder if it was hurt him or more that it just threw him off his game mentally (as a cheap shot that ticked him off that he dwelled on).

I'll try to find the partial clip I saw.....

It caught him on the wrist. He was flexing it and checking it at the bench a lot. Hopefully it is nothing serious.

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, DarthMelvin said:

slightly true...but Edler and his indecision to either lie down or go knee...

You have Marky trying hard to look beyond Edler . stretching his neck to see who has and where the puck is. Watch the difference in defensive blocks tonight. 

Sometimes I think that Marky goes butterfly too early. His head is at the same height with one pad down or both. Either he was trying to keep the pad up to cover a post or to slide across.

How good is Stalok's blocker? All I saw were Canucks' shots into his glove or his chest. They made it fairly easy for him. When you look at the 3 goals from the Wild:

2 were soft, bad goals Markstrom would love to have back, and the other was an empty netter. It was 2 mistakes, that was the difference. The shots were pretty equal, both teams had opportunity. MIN played a better D game, but the Canucks were in it with 5 minutes left. They had the PP and squandered it. They had chances when they pulled Markstrom too. Keep pounding MIN, especially Dumba the baby elephant. Pettersson needs some space, help him out ffs.

2 hours ago, UKNuck96 said:

Experience is an overrated thing. It’s important but some people on these forums seem to hold it to this mythical status that somehow having post season experiance means played just magically become winners.

you need to create a winning mentality and from that you gain experience and learn where you fell short. Going in to ‘just get experience’ doesn’t create this, nor is it an attitude of a winning team or one that wants to win

Ferland didn't have much experience when he killed us 5 years ago.

He had the tenacity and desire.  And was relentless. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

I won't be surprised if Green puts in Eriksson tonight and reunites him with Horvat and Pearson. They were really effective together earlier this year. 

Wouldn't be a bad idea.  Whatever complaints Eriksson gets, he's will never hurt the team defensively.

It would also make Horvat the go-to line to shut down the opposition's top line.  

• Cheers 1