The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Minnesota Wild at Vancouver Canucks | Aug. 04, 2020 | Series tied 1-1

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

7 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

meh markstrom have been OK at best i wouldn't say played well or played poorly. in the first game i dunno the 2 goals are questionable.. 1st one was bad.. 2nd one beats him 5 hole.. 2nd game.. first goal wasn't exactly the greatest either he was beat after getting set squared to the shooter

Wasn't talking about the 1st game.

I didn't say Marky played a perfect game, but he played well in this game. Certainly not worthy of commentary that he's done and onto Demko.

• Cheers 1

39 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Hard disagree. Players sometimes need to watch. Gaudette was pretty bad in game 1. With Rooster and Ferland out I see him back in.

Itll be interesting to see how Green works out the lines

Yeah I agree he didn’t play well. This is where a coach steps in and helps him achieve his potential. Let’s see how Green handles him the rest of the way. I have a feeling he’s gone unless Sutter gets hurt which he likely will. 

2 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

It's 2020 and the Canucks won a 'playoff' game with Loui Eriksson playing 20 mins.

What a year...

I think LE and the Canucks agree to the fact that his contributions are capped from his previous offensive forward times with previous teams to just being a good defensive forward. Aside from his way overpaid contract, he still serves a purpose. 

Just now, Horvat is a Boss said:

I'd rather re-sign Tanev. He's someone who's actually been here all year and played a major role in us being in a position to play in the play-ins. Toffoli is much easier to replace and Boeser looked right at home, which isn't a surprise considering the Lotto line was one of the best in the league. 

I like the lotto line too and would put Tofu with Bo. I like our chances to make the playoffs more so with Tofu than without him. Hell Toffoli was a big reason why we've made it since he helped us win after Boeser got hurt.

I would like all 3 of them if possible. I understand that would be hard to do.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, theo5789 said:

I don't think allowing a player that wide open (and Fiala of all players) near the slot is fine. I get that it's hard to play out every play perfectly, but that was the breakdown. But yes that was a wicked shot that wouldn't given the best goalies a tough time.

I'd give credit to Staal for screening him well on that play not allowing him to be set on the second goal. Yes he was out of position, but it was still a post and in shot as well. So to me, credit goes to their players on the goalie rather than Marky looking bad on it IMO.

The first one I would say was half boards not the slot, it was a quick cross ice pass and he ripped it. Not going to rag on the D for that one, as for once they were defending the slot.

second one while staal is in front he is off to the other side from where it is shot. You could see at the point of release almost a quarter of the net glove side exposed, that’s far to much

2 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Wasn't talking about the 1st game.

I didn't say Marky played a perfect game, but he played well in this game. Certainly not worthy of commentary that he's done and onto Demko.

meh it's a short series if he let's in another questionable goal next game and lose who knows

36 minutes ago, Darius said:

What I don’t get is people thinking Toffoli makes boeser expendable.  Like a big contract given to Toffoli won’t include some downturn years in his 30s.  Boeser had a tough year with injuries and his home situation.  This kid is gonna keep getting better.  

Boeser is an excellent fit when fit - with Pettersson and Miller. Podkolzin will be an excellent fit with Horvat, his intelligent two way game perfectly suited to a strong second line - especially with either of MacEwen or Hoglander or occasionally Virtanen. 

1 minute ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I like the lotto line too and would put Tofu with Bo. I like our chances to make the playoffs more so with Tofu than without him. Hell Toffoli was a big reason why we've made it since he helped us win after Boeser got hurt.

I would like all 3 of them if possible. I understand that would be hard to do.

It is possible but will require a few other players being cleared out. Which may not be a bad thing.

2 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I don't have anything against him either. Now that there's no expectation of offense from him he's actually alot of fun to cheer for. 

Just who thought he'd be such a big piece in this teams biggest game in 5 years.

I feel Greener likes Eriksson because he makes simple smart plays with the puck and is in good position defensively. He won't take many chances or produce a lot of offense but you will also not see many mistakes on his end.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Canucks fans turning on their goaltender again. Surprise surprise.

Marky was solid tonight. Wasn’t unreal marky but solid. Figure it out

They even mention soft goals when referring to Marky AFTER a WIN. Only point im trying to make

is we should not be talking about soft goals like at all. This goalie has been with us forever now yes

he has no playoff experience but he could have 99 problems but letting in soft goals, ON THE REGULAR,

should not be one. People that dont agree are pom pom homer cheerleaders of this generation.

• Wat 1

3 minutes ago, Brovat said:

Yeah I agree he didn’t play well. This is where a coach steps in and helps him achieve his potential. Let’s see how Green handles him the rest of the way. I have a feeling he’s gone unless Sutter gets hurt which he likely will. 

I think so to.

hopefully a bit of rejigging and some more ice time for Virtanen. Didnt feel like he got much Time tonight

1 minute ago, wai_lai416 said:

meh it's a short series if he let's in another questionable goal next game and lose who knows

Worrying about the worst case scenarios isn't worth knocking someone down over. It hasn't happened and it's not worth the commentary now. Marky is our guy and we have to keep the faith in him (at least the team does). If we were down 2-0, then maybe it's a different story.

5 minutes ago, UKNuck96 said:

The first one I would say was half boards not the slot, it was a quick cross ice pass and he ripped it. Not going to rag on the D for that one, as for once they were defending the slot.

second one while staal is in front he is off to the other side from where it is shot. You could see at the point of release almost a quarter of the net glove side exposed, that’s far to much

That's why I said near the slot. Pearson was covering no one up top. I get why Horvat went to Staal, I don't blame him other than maybe he could've been less aggressive, but that could also give him more time to make a pass. I'm not exactly ragging on the defensive coverage too much overall, but I think it's absurd to solely blame it on Marky as the poster I responded to seems to be alluding to.

Staal forced Marky to not be set as Marky was trying to look at the play unfold. The play got to Fiala quickly and he took another near perfect shot. It's pretty much as perfect set up of that play as they could've done.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, UKNuck96 said:

It is possible but will require a few other players being cleared out. Which may not be a bad thing.

IMO my mindset on Toffoli is that he will help us win now and be a stop gap for the youngsters to reach their potential. Once Pod/Hog/etc make it they'll need time to polish their games and as they do that Tofu will likely be on the tail end of his contract. Try to have it so Tofu's new contract expires when the youngster ELC/2nd contract expires. It would also allow us to utilize the youngsters cheap contracts in order to ice a very dangerous forward group for a short window.

5 minutes ago, Shirotashi said:

They even mention soft goals when referring to Marky AFTER a WIN. Only point im trying to make

is we should not be talking about soft goals like at all. This goalie has been with us forever now yes

he has no playoff experience but he could have 99 problems but letting in soft goals, ON THE REGULAR,

should not be one. People that dont agree are pom pom homer cheerleaders of this generation.

He’s let in 2 soft goals. First on Fiala in game 1 and tonight on Kunin. Nobody would be saying the other 2 goals were soft if Petey sniped them.. Should a goalie not let in a soft goal,. In a perfect world yes It shouldn’t happen. But Marky also made some key saves that should have been goals. You take the good with the bad. It’s not about letting in a soft goal it’s about the performance over 60 minutes. He’s let in 5 goals total in 2 games. It’s not outstanding but solid and enough to win 

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Junkyard Dog said:

IMO my mindset on Toffoli is that he will help us win now and be a stop gap for the youngsters to reach their potential. Once Pod/Hog/etc make it they'll need time to polish their games and as they do that Tofu will likely be on the tail end of his contract. Try to have it so Tofu's new contract expires when the youngster ELC/2nd contract expires. It would also allow us to utilize the youngsters cheap contracts in order to ice a very dangerous forward group for a short window.

Yep, I see it pretty much the same.