The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Minnesota Wild | Aug. 06, 2020 | Canucks lead series 2-1

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

6 minutes ago, Brovat said:

Jake has made a bunch of nice plays and scored 18 goals last season. I like Mac too though. I hope JV, AG, ZM is a line we see soon. 

Yes I'm aware of what Jake has done during the season, but there must be a reason why he was not chosen for game 1. Speculation was he didn't come to camp in shape (which could perhaps be true still considering he's getting minimal minutes in his two games). Or another reason could be that he was caught in a couple of questionable incidences during the covid break and maybe missing game 1 was the team imposed punishment. Personally I think Jake/Ferland/MacEwen were all fighting for one spot and Ferland simply won out.

Whatever the reason, game 1 was rough and there may have been some nerves and bad luck that even having Jake in the lineup wouldn't have made a difference anyway (especially his usage over these last couple of games) and thus no sweep talk. I don't know if Jake is playing a bit tentative, but MacEwen made his 5 minutes of ice time count. I think Virtanen will still be significantly impactful at some point in these playoffs, but he hasn't quite been yet. I certainly do not consider his addition as being a major reason for our team turning things around from game 1.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

to a point, it's a fine line.  He was lucky the pk has been sharp in games 2 and 3 or we'd all be singing a different tune about 6 penalties in 2 games, I guarantee it.

That is true.  But creating a pack mentality that doesnt take crap is crucial and we all know the whistles will come out less and less.

15 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Yes I'm aware of what Jake has done during the season, but there must be a reason why he was not chosen for game 1. Speculation was he didn't come to camp in shape (which could perhaps be true still considering he's getting minimal minutes in his two games). Or another reason could be that he was caught in a couple of questionable incidences during the covid break and maybe missing game 1 was the team imposed punishment. Personally I think Jake/Ferland/MacEwen were all fighting for one spot and Ferland simply won out.

Whatever the reason, game 1 was rough and there may have been some nerves and bad luck that even having Jake in the lineup wouldn't have made a difference anyway (especially his usage over these last couple of games) and thus no sweep talk. I don't know if Jake is playing a bit tentative, but MacEwen made his 5 minutes of ice time count. I think Virtanen will still be significantly impactful at some point in these playoffs, but he hasn't quite been yet. I certainly do not consider his addition as being a major reason for our team turning things around from game 1.

What????? 

Full disclosure, I didn't watch today's game because I was at work, but imho Jake made a huge impact in Game 2 and is a big reason the team won that game.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

2 hours ago, theo5789 said:

We play disciplined, we are called soft (see 2011 finals). We play with aggression which will end up in some penalties and it's a detriment. Yes it's better that he doesn't take the penalties, but they aren't soft trips and hooks that he's taking. He defending teammates and showing intimidation. These are penalties that the team will work extra hard to kill off because he's doing it for the team rather than making some lazy play.

Myers has pretty much eliminated Greenway who could've done some damage had we been a less imposing team (see Byfuglien and Ferland in Calgary). He isn't taking any of the garbage from Parise either. It's part of creating the pack mentality and other guys start standing up as well.

I'll take this version of the whole team. Everyone has stepped up defensively, our PK is dynamite, and you can literally see this team gelling and playing for each other. It's obvious how close this group is and the scary part is skill-wise they haven't even fully hit their stride yet.

Motte, Sutter, Beagle, Rooster have stepped up bigtime while our entire D core made the simple plays. The top 4 has been especially good.

It's weird but I usually get a pit in my stomach if we have less then a 4 goal lead, but today after the first goal I knew it was over. There was zero panic in their game.

Myers, is a gamer, I can't believe how good it feels to finally have some players that other fans hate.

5 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

I want the leafs to lose the series but this kind of sucks knowing that the oilers or leafs could end up with lafernier. 

I hope first overall goes to a random team like the wild

I'd be fine with the Wild winning it tbh, they could use the help. And we wouldn't see him as much given that they're a central team. 

Mind you, if we move on and they win there will be fans who inevitably lose their minds. But that's fine, there's always a chunk of our fanbase doing that anyway.