The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Minnesota Wild | Aug. 06, 2020 | Canucks lead series 2-1

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

56 minutes ago, CptCanuck16 said:

What????? 

Full disclosure, I didn't watch today's game because I was at work, but imho Jake made a huge impact in Game 2 and is a big reason the team won that game.

Jake's crowning moment in game 2 was his backcheck on the PP to stop a breakaway. Can't say much else stood out in his 8 minutes of ice time that would warrant him being a big reason the team won the game. Care to elaborate?

• Cheers 1

Thought just occurred to me .... do you think that Green might switch Gaudette back in, in exchange for Jake, now that we are up 2 - 1?

Green preaches the value of getting experience playing these games that matter.  Well, Gaudette has played in 1, and was overwhelmed.  Jake has now played in 2, and was underwhelming, so time to balance things out?

5 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Thought just occurred to me .... do you think that Green might switch Gaudette back in, in exchange for Jake, now that we are up 2 - 1?

Green preaches the value of getting experience playing these games that matter.  Well, Gaudette has played in 1, and was overwhelmed.  Jake has now played in 2, and was underwhelming, so time to balance things out?

They won't mess with a winning lineup.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I'd be fine with the Wild winning it tbh, they could use the help. And we wouldn't see him as much given that they're a central team. 

Mind you, if we move on and they win there will be fans who inevitably lose their minds. But that's fine, there's always a chunk of our fanbase doing that anyway. 

Yeah, cos we'd both be carrying the same number.  8 teams, each with 12.5% chance of winning, numbered 1 thru 8 for the draw purposes, numbers assigned based on points percentages when the pause hit.  So, eg, if we were assigned #5, then so would have been (will be) the Wild, as we were just 3 hundredths of a point apart (or something like that - almost identical)

So if they win it, then so would we have.

21 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

I watched a fair bit of the game while “working”

fantastic performance and I will give credit when it’s due. The coaching staff had the team prepared, focussed and structured 

full team effort 

well done 

now don’t let up 

But... can we still fire green out of a cannon?

1 minute ago, Googlie said:

Yeah, cos we'd both be carrying the same number.  8 teams, each with 12.5% chance of winning, numbered 1 thru 8 for the draw purposes, numbers assigned based on points percentages when the pause hit.  So, eg, if we were assigned #5, then so would have been (will be) the Wild, as we were just 3 hundredths of a point apart (or something like that - almost identical)

So if they win it, then so would we have.

Pretty much, but I'm still fine with them winning. I want to win, I want playoffs. The boys want playoffs, they're busting ass out there trying to get there, and I'm gonna root for em. If we move on and Minny wins the top pick I won't be complaining. 

If we lose to Minny I hope we win, but I'd rather it not come to that. 

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Pretty much, but I'm still fine with them winning. I want to win, I want playoffs. The boys want playoffs, they're busting ass out there trying to get there, and I'm gonna root for em.

Indeed.  Bo wants to bathe Gunnar in the cup !!!!!

photo-via-bohorvat.png

Edited by Googlie
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

2 hours ago, Brock Botanen said:

Theres a fine line between a good penalty and a careless 1. I like his thinking, but he needs to be more disciplined about it. That's all I'm saying

And I think no matter the penalty the team tries to kill it off the same way. I totally get what your saying but the more were down a man the more likely it is we lose in the end. Instead of retaliating right away wait for a moment to lay a really big clean hit, fight him, or wait until game is pretty much over. Why take away a PP or give up a PP to retaliate right away. That's playing into the opponents hands imho

Just saw your edit. So are you saying you didn't support our guys jumping on Fiala right away for bumping Markstrom? Did you not like Miller standing up for Petey? You mess with one of us, you gonna pay. What's the difference when Myers does it?

There's a reason why guys like Greenway and Foligno have been quite insignificant compared to the last time we played Minni in the regular season.

It's a dangerous game to give them PPs, but when we are killing them off (destroying them on faceoffs, Marky finding his groove and the defense blocking shots left and right) on top of giving them a beating, they will get frustrated faster and lose their focus.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, theo5789 said:

Yes I'm aware of what Jake has done during the season, but there must be a reason why he was not chosen for game 1. Speculation was he didn't come to camp in shape (which could perhaps be true still considering he's getting minimal minutes in his two games). Or another reason could be that he was caught in a couple of questionable incidences during the covid break and maybe missing game 1 was the team imposed punishment. Personally I think Jake/Ferland/MacEwen were all fighting for one spot and Ferland simply won out.

Whatever the reason, game 1 was rough and there may have been some nerves and bad luck that even having Jake in the lineup wouldn't have made a difference anyway (especially his usage over these last couple of games) and thus no sweep talk. I don't know if Jake is playing a bit tentative, but MacEwen made his 5 minutes of ice time count. I think Virtanen will still be significantly impactful at some point in these playoffs, but he hasn't quite been yet. I certainly do not consider his addition as being a major reason for our team turning things around from game 1.

Wow are still on this? Jake is the right type of player in the playoffs. The checking gets tighter and he is quick enough, strong enough and smart enough to fight through those checks. Green should never have sat him during a playoff game no matter what type of "rule" he broke off the ice. How childish and petty. 

We have more control of the puck and its because we have these heavy type players to compete with the Wilds bigger heavier players who are playing rough and tough hockey. I am sorry but Gaud is not ready for that heavy abuse and still be effective. With some more seasoning, yes. But he is not ready for this yet even though he is a young promising up and coming player. 

For those complaining about Meyers play don't know how important these players with these intangibles are during the playoffs. He adds this to  his game during the playoffs and its effective in nullifying the opposition. Not having this player gets you 2011 "crying" and "whining" to the refs for more PP's. No thanks. 

For years I hated playing against players such as Byfuglin, Chris Pronger and Chara. They are game changers. They are needed just as much as the guys putting the puck in the net or the guy stopping them. I guess a lot of you forget how embarrassing and humiliating it was to watch that weasel "speed bag" Daniel while the whole team , including Daniel, did absolutely nothing about it. No thanks.

I love how this team is playing and its because of the character players JB has assembled. Good things are still to come and I can't wait for the next ride to the Cup, which I am confident this group is going to take us to eventually.

• Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Jake's crowning moment in game 2 was his backcheck on the PP to stop a breakaway. Can't say much else stood out in his 8 minutes of ice time that would warrant him being a big reason the team won the game. Care to elaborate?

:picard:

2 hours ago, theo5789 said:

Yes I'm aware of what Jake has done during the season, but there must be a reason why he was not chosen for game 1. Speculation was he didn't come to camp in shape (which could perhaps be true still considering he's getting minimal minutes in his two games). Or another reason could be that he was caught in a couple of questionable incidences during the covid break and maybe missing game 1 was the team imposed punishment. Personally I think Jake/Ferland/MacEwen were all fighting for one spot and Ferland simply won out.

Whatever the reason, game 1 was rough and there may have been some nerves and bad luck that even having Jake in the lineup wouldn't have made a difference anyway (especially his usage over these last couple of games) and thus no sweep talk. I don't know if Jake is playing a bit tentative, but MacEwen made his 5 minutes of ice time count. I think Virtanen will still be significantly impactful at some point in these playoffs, but he hasn't quite been yet. I certainly do not consider his addition as being a major reason for our team turning things around from game 1.

MacEwen showed up today. Phenomenal game.

Noticed him in all the right ways. 

Was hounded by... Foligno (?) 

Drew a penalty instead of engaging...

Virtanen is much more able to take the body than Gaudette at this point. The Wild are a BIG. team. Virtanen played his defensive duties to a T. 

Both brought beef to the lineup and permitted others such as Motte and Sutter to play even bigger than they did in the other games.

Complete play.

Edited by Me_
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

5 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Game had it's ups and downs, but an overall solid effort top to bottom. The third period especially.

- Marky was a wall.

- Hughes was phe-&^@#ing-nomenal.

- Boeser shutting the "trade Boeser" folks up in a huge way.

- Sutter had one of his best games as a Canuck.

- Petey got better as the game went on.

- Tanev was a beast.

- Motte proving why he's the most underrated player on the team.

- Stetch with all the heart. 

One thing that I really liked about this game was how the team stuck up for each other. Miller was right on Hartman after he went after Petey, and the entire team pounced whenever someone so much as grazed Marky. That's the type of $&!# I like to see. 

I was proud to see Miller's gloves off the instant he saw what happened. I know we need him on the ensuing pp, but we need that from our team just as much.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

I was actually roommates with this guy last year when in second year uni (was studying at Waterloo).  When this meme got big a few months ago I hit him up and we had quite the laugh about it.  Probably my biggest claim to fame.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1