The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Minnesota Wild | Aug. 06, 2020 | Canucks lead series 2-1

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 minutes ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

Next person to suggest to trade Boesers getting pistol hwipped

I really think he was injured before. His play has improved immensely since before the stoppage. He is back to the level he was prior to the injury. Still haven't seen that killer shot we seen his rookie year, but he definitely is a true star in the making.

• Cheers 2

7 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

"Talked about it after the first. We probably weren't as sharp as we could be. I didn't think their team was either. It was choppy. Talked about finding another 10% to grind this game out. Our group found a way to win and I'm happy about it." - Green on start time

thank you PVR, I just finished the game.

this quote from Green sums it up nicely for me. 

Minny has 2 things going for them: Fiala and they work real hard.
The boys successfully negated Fiala, limiting his opportunities. And our boys matched the effort, particularly our 3 and 4 lines. With the effort matched, you could see the difference in skill level. Chicago used to do this to us all the time.

I  thought our defence played particularly strong, and Myers got several penalties for just being too tall. 

Didn’t like our power play, seemed a little too lackadaisical. Need more urgency.

Marky! Wahooooooo!

Go Canucks!!!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

I really think he was injured before. His play has improved immensely since before the stoppage. He is back to the level he was prior to the injury. Still haven't seen that killer shot we seen his rookie year, but he definitely is a true star in the making.

His shot is just fine. Even Miller mentioned it when he was Mic'd up. He's not the type of player you trade, you trade for him or offer sheet if you didn't draft him.

26 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Pretty much, but I'm still fine with them winning. I want to win, I want playoffs. The boys want playoffs, they're busting ass out there trying to get there, and I'm gonna root for em. If we move on and Minny wins the top pick I won't be complaining. 

If we lose to Minny I hope we win, but I'd rather it not come to that. 

These games are huge for the kids, not just the experience but seeing how they respond to a smothering playoff game. Defensively today was one of the best games I've seen this team play.

It also gives Benning a clearer picture of how to move forward.  It might be the difference on who he prioritizes bringing back.

• Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, Me_ said:

MacEwen showed up today. Phenomenal game.

Noticed him in all the right ways. 

Was hounded by... Foligno (?) 

Drew a penalty instead of engaging...

Virtanen is much more able to take the body than Gaudette at this point. The Wild are a BIG. team. Virtanen played his defensive duties to a T. 

Both brought beef to the lineup and permitted others such as Motte and Sutter to play even bigger than they did in game one.

Complete play.

Gaudette is fine. He didn't have a good game 1 and was the odd man out (may have had a minor knock), but many players didn't have a good game 1. The ones that got second chances performed much better and surely Gaudette would do the same, he's never shied away from the physical play before.

Jake got reined in by being forced to watch and I'd argue that refocused him to follow Green's instruction and be defensively responsible. The whole incident where Bo called him out was a discipline issue to not potentially take a bad penalty over your own mistake. I agree that Jake did the job expected of him, but he wasn't the "big factor" in the turnaround over the last couple of games.

Like I said, MacEwen was more impactful in being physical and drawing penalties in the limited time he was given.

Motte and Roussel are our "smallest" forwards and they both have always played above their weight physically. Sutter always plays with a chip on his shoulder and I'd argue that having a guy like Myers pummeling players plays a bigger part in building that pack mentality. Jake hasn't been as imposing (3 hits in 2 games, comparatively MacEwen had 3 hits in his 5 mins of play). I think we will see more from Jake the further we get (might even dominate a series like Kesler did), but people are giving him way more credit than he deserves ATM (while completely ignoring the impact of LE who joined the team at the same time as Jake).

• Like 2
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

His shot is just fine. Even Miller mentioned it when he was Mic'd up. He's not the type of player you trade, you trade for him or offer sheet if you didn't draft him.

Oh I never said there was anything wrong with it but remember when they were setting him up on the PP for the one timer? That was downright dangerous and "Ovechkin like". I am confident he will get back to that sooner rather then later.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

The big thing about Boeser play in the playoffs is he's getting goals in the greasy areas.  Within 10ft of the net.  Taking his lumps to get the goal.  That's playoff hockey.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Gaudette is fine. He didn't have a good game 1 and was the odd man out (may have had a minor knock), but many players didn't have a good game 1. The ones that got second chances performed much better and surely Gaudette would do the same, he's never shied away from the physical play before.

Jake got reined in by being forced to watch and I'd argue that refocused him to follow Green's instruction and be defensively responsible. The whole incident where Bo called him out was a discipline issue to not potentially take a bad penalty over your own mistake. I agree that Jake did the job expected of him, but he wasn't the "big factor" in the turnaround over the last couple of games.

Like I said, MacEwen was more impactful in being physical and drawing penalties in the limited time he was given.

Motte and Roussel are our "smallest" forwards and they both have always played above their weight physically. Sutter always plays with a chip on his shoulder and I'd argue that having a guy like Myers pummeling players plays a bigger part in building that pack mentality. Jake hasn't been as imposing (3 hits in 2 games, comparatively MacEwen had 3 hits in his 5 mins of play). I think we will see more from Jake the further we get (might even dominate a series like Kesler did), but people are giving him way more credit than he deserves ATM (while completely ignoring the impact of LE who joined the team at the same time as Jake).

Exactly. Virtanen did what he had to do.

MacEwen played way more than 5min in his impact. 

Eriksson is massive defensively. I think the further they go in the playoffs, the more he’s going to shine. He’s playing some real good hockey.

Concerning Gaudette. He’s Gaudette. Of course he’ll be fine. Studying the game from the sideline will only make him hungrier. He’ll get his place at some point for sure.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

:picard:

I invite you to elaborate as well.

27 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Wow are still on this? Jake is the right type of player in the playoffs. The checking gets tighter and he is quick enough, strong enough and smart enough to fight through those checks. Green should never have sat him during a playoff game no matter what type of "rule" he broke off the ice. How childish and petty. 

We have more control of the puck and its because we have these heavy type players to compete with the Wilds bigger heavier players who are playing rough and tough hockey. I am sorry but Gaud is not ready for that heavy abuse and still be effective. With some more seasoning, yes. But he is not ready for this yet even though he is a young promising up and coming player. 

For those complaining about Meyers play don't know how important these players with these intangibles are during the playoffs. He adds this to  his game during the playoffs and its effective in nullifying the opposition. Not having this player gets you 2011 "crying" and "whining" to the refs for more PP's. No thanks. 

For years I hated playing against players such as Byfuglin, Chris Pronger and Chara. They are game changers. They are needed just as much as the guys putting the puck in the net or the guy stopping them. I guess a lot of you forget how embarrassing and humiliating it was to watch that weasel "speed bag" Daniel while the whole team , including Daniel, did absolutely nothing about it. No thanks.

I love how this team is playing and its because of the character players JB has assembled. Good things are still to come and I can't wait for the next ride to the Cup, which I am confident this group is going to take us to eventually.

I agree with most of what you're saying here. Virtanen simply hasn't been that player yet. He will be. He simply needed to be reined in for whatever reason and he's played disciplined hockey in his limited minutes, but I don't see what others are seeing in him being a major reason for our success that last two games (just because he's in the lineup?). He's thrown 3 hits in 2 games, whereas the guy that IMO beat him out was Ferland who had 5 hits in 2 games.  If Jake was everything you're saying, you'd think he'd be playing more than his average of 9 minutes per game with 2.5 of that on the PP.

I agree that Gaudette didn't look great in game 1, but most of the team didn't. Gaudette may have only been taken out due to a minor knock and if he got a second chance like most of the team did to bounce back, he may have a better performance like everyone else. I'm not worried about Gaudette handling the physicality as he's never been afraid of going to the boards. People would've complained as well if Gaudette was sat instead as well. That's the beauty of having an abundance of good depth. You're going to be sitting out someone good no matter what decision is made.

At the end of the day, the difference didn't come down to Jake or Gaud. It may have been playoff jitters with 8 players playing in their first playoff games (including Marky, who has much improved with one of the best sv% after a rocky start). The PK is much improved, possibly stabilized with the return of a regular in LE. The team overall is buying into Green's system and has improved in each of these three games as a whole.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Motte is all over the Wild. He’s a pest to play against. Excellent defensively.

Many questioned me when I suggested that he's playing his way into protection from the expansion draft. The idea being that if all we lose is a "4th liner" then we come out of it laughing. Well imagine having to play against him in our division? Hits everything in sight, relentless motor and one of our top PK guys. I often find that our team seems a bit lacking when he's out of the lineup. Of course it's going to depend on who we need to protect by then, but he's certainly on the bubble for me.

• Upvote 3

Seeing these last couple of games, do people still think Toffoli is a top priority UFA for us to sign? I've been saying that he's a luxury piece if we can fit him in, but not a necessity.

We are truly seeing the value of Marky and Tanev. They won't be easily replaceable unlike Toffoli where our offense is still going without him now and even prior to his arrival.

19 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

It is really amazing how the ice has opened up for the Canucks the last 2 games

Good job Green!

Man that was hard for me to say! :sick:

Don't worry, there's plenty of this to go around!

eating-crow.jpg.594e4d52481d311712d2ff9eaddb2c8f.jpg

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Many questioned me when I suggested that he's playing his way into protection from the expansion draft. The idea being that if all we lose is a "4th liner" then we come out of it laughing. Well imagine having to play against him in our division? Hits everything in sight, relentless motor and one of our top PK guys. I often find that our team seems a bit lacking when he's out of the lineup. Of course it's going to depend on who we need to protect by then, but he's certainly on the bubble for me.

With Hoglander and Podkolzin potentially in or close to the NHL by the time expansion draft happens, Motte's relentless pace of play might be more evident in the lineup. I like Motte, don't get me wrong, but using up a protection spot for him seems too much.  As you said, if there is room to protect him by then while also making sure we can keep our core, perhaps it'll make sense to do so.