The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Minnesota Wild | Aug. 07, 2020 | Canucks win series 3-1

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

58 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Well Hughes is probably never going to come close to Orr or Coffey.  But he's off to a good enough start that I guess nothing should be ruled out.  I have been drawing comparisons to Housley and Reinhart and that's an extremely high bar, which so far he is on the way to reaching.  Reinhart was known to ramp up his scoring even more in the playoffs - his playoff numbers in Calgary were astonishing - and Hughes pulled a Reinhart in his first ever playoffs

Yep.  Housley seems like a reasonable comparable too and he’s doing it.   Agree that Orr and Coffey are pretty much untoachable.    Six points in four games is pretty darn impressive for a start .... the last two games he really caught on - the first game maybe it was nerve but everything was a little off and he didn’t seem to settle things down until half way through the second game - since then dynamite.  Definitely a great start for our star defenseman - his offense is sublime.   Said earlier that I felt Rafalski and Campbell were his floor and Housley his ceiling and that he’d probably end up somewhere inbetween (the only guys around the same size that could control games and put up points that I can even think of).    It’s looking like he’s much closer to the ceiling then the floor for sure. 

• Vintage 2

3 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

And how about Juolevi entering the picture now finally.  Maybe if things go super smooth we can cram him in somehow as a Calder finalist next year and follow it up with Podkzolzin for five in a row...

Yeah come back into orbit a little bit bud. Nothing Joulevi has done since being drafted suggests that he will sniff a Calder.

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Kevin Biestra said:

And how about Juolevi entering the picture now finally.  Maybe if things go super smooth we can cram him in as a Calder finalist next year and follow it up with Podkzolzin for five in a row...

OJ made a great pass in the offensive zone and instead of staying back moved right in and behind the net and I was impressed at his moxy to go for it that soon instead of playing it safe ... for sure looks like he belongs so far - if he can win a spot the timing couldn’t be more perfect.   After three isn’t it a normal thing?

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Davathor said:

Yeah come back into orbit a little bit bud. Nothing Joulevi has done since being drafted suggests that he will sniff a Calder.

Makar went from 43rd to 4th best prospect before he started this year .... stranger things have happened 

Edit:  And OJ was in the 20’s draft plus one and draft plus 2....

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 2

5 hours ago, I'm Your Huckleberry said:

As a fan, I love these little glimpses into team dynamics. JT Miller is a beauty. Look how stoked Huggy is when he calls his name. Also, did I hear "Tequila Tanev"?  

Hughes looked pumped when Miller called his name. 

Such an awesome vid

• Cheers 1

35 minutes ago, Trebreh said:

any injury update on Toffoli?

The way I see it, it’s not a major injury otherwise he would have been sent home like Ferlund. I suspect a sprain or hairline fracture, both of which can be played through. He should be back by the first round I suspect. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Well Hughes is probably never going to come close to Orr or Coffey.  But he's off to a good enough start that I guess nothing should be ruled out.  I have been drawing comparisons to Housley and Reinhart and that's an extremely high bar, which so far he is on the way to reaching.  Reinhart was known to ramp up his scoring even more in the playoffs - his playoff numbers in Calgary were astonishing - and Hughes pulled a Reinhart in his first ever playoff series.

I think a better comparison would be Brian Leetch not Housley.  Housley was not very good defensively and never won a Norris Trophy.  Leetch on other hand was very good defensively and was very good at stealing the puck in the dzone and leading a rush up the ice.  Leetch also had some nastiness to him, he had a solid build and could hold his own.  Hughes is similar in that regard, he can throw a hit and even get into a fight.  I can see Hughes winning multiple Norris Trophies in his career just like Leetch and being a much better overall defenceman than Housley.  Hopefully he can follow Leetch and win the Calder Trophy as well.  If he can turn into a Leetch then we have a Canuck legend on our hands.  

• Upvote 1