The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Minnesota Wild | Aug. 07, 2020 | Canucks win series 3-1

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, We_Are_All_Canucks_4_life said:

My guess is just based on the regular season. Where dallas has beaten us soundly and the only loss to the blues is in extra time.

Things change in playoffs and you need to look at a team’s overall performance not just one or 2 games against us 

Blues finished with 94 points, basically on track for winning the entire conference points title wile Dallas , at best, would have been 8 points behind the Blues

Binnington picks up his game in the playoffs and Tarasenko missed most of the regular season .... stay far far away 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Schmutzhaken said:
20 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I was curious to see the comparison of players as well between that period, so here it is:

christopher-tanev-of-the-vancouver-canucchristopher-tanev-of-the-vancouver-canuc

loui-eriksson-of-the-dallas-stars-poses-loui-eriksson-of-the-vancouver-canucks-p

alex-edler-of-the-vancouver-canucks-posealexander-edler-of-the-vancouver-canucks

jordie-benn-of-the-dallas-stars-poses-fojordie-benn-of-the-vancouver-canucks-pos

jacob-markstrom-of-the-florida-panthers-jacob-markstrom-of-the-vancouver-canucks

antoine-roussel-of-the-boston-bruins-posantoine-roussel-of-the-vancouver-canucks

brandon-sutter-of-the-carolina-hurricanebrandon-sutter-of-the-vancouver-canucks-

tyler-myers-of-the-buffalo-sabres-poses-tyler-myers-of-the-vancouver-canucks-pos

michael-ferland-of-the-calgary-flames-pomicheal-ferland-of-the-vancouver-canucks

tyler-toffoli-of-the-los-angeles-kings-ptyler-toffoli-of-the-vancouver-canucks-p

Talk about Boyz to Men!   A bit scary to look at Myers neck, almost like he used those rings to force it to grow.  I thought growth spurts were more evenly distributed throughout the body?  

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

I don’t see why anyone would want us to face the Blues 

they had significantly more points than Dallas did when play stopped and they have playoff experience not to mention they are the defending Cup champs 

Bring 'em on, I say

Might as well see how we stack up against the best over a 7 game series.

We are going to have to get past two pretty good teams to reach the Conference Finals, why not start with the SCW?

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

Things change in playoffs and you need to look at a team’s overall performance not just one or 2 games against us 

Blues finished with 94 points, basically on track for winning the entire conference points title wile Dallas , at best, would have been 8 points behind the Blues

Binnington picks up his game in the playoffs and Tarasenko missed most of the regular season .... stay far far away 

Neither of the two teams we will have to face will be easy. But either way i hope the boys come out hard and dont give up.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Bring 'em on, I say

We are going to have to get past two pretty good teams to reach the Conference Finals, why not start with the SCW?

I would rather build some momentum first and there is also a chance the Blues slip and are eliminated 

12 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

If we play the Blues first then this definitely has the same vibe as 94 drawing a contender in the first round that we are capable of beating in a hard fought 7 game series.   If somehow we get past them I think the hardest hockey we might have to face with be in the rear-view mirror as well until the final (another similarity, like COL - Gilmour led TO was also a contender back then).  

Dallas would be easier for us i agree completely...especially given like MIN they are a top defensive team so not a lot of adjustments would have to be made.   Both teams have good goaltending too,  special teams will have to be super sharp.   

Will be interesting to see how the games will be called - hoping for our sake that the whistles are kept away - at even strength both these teams should be better then MIN but our team seemed to keep it together for the most part ... MIN was one of the better teams since their coaching change - I’m glad it wasn’t easy, the players did about as well as we could have hoped for - 13 points from our wonder kids and all the vets brought their playoff paint and earned their pay-cheque’s.   Especially liked that EP wasn’t injured and that our youth didn’t back down one bit.    MIN a was a perfect “tune-up” series for us...the next step will be a joy to watch.

If TT is ready to go it should also give us a boost.  LE could drop to the fourth line and be very fresh for PK duties and our second line have a little more bite ... hope TG re-unites TT with Pearson...wouldn’t be opposed to slotting him in on the third line either and keeping the second line as is ... it worked. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

26 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Bring 'em on, I say

Only reason i want to avoid the blues is because this is not the WCF. it's first round. I have confidence we can get past the Blues but at what cost? 

Limp into second round missing core players due to injury and get swept by a lesser team? 

Playoffs is a war of attrition and going through the Blues in the first round is pretty risky in terms of team health. 

We already lost Ferland and Toffoli in the first round in a physically grinding series. Blues is definitely another level in terms of physicality. 

Put it another way. They are the champs for a reason. They know what it takes. There is no way they will roll over and die in the first round. They will scratch and claw until the final minute and i just don't see how we come out of that series unscathed

Edited by CanucksJay
  • Vintage 1

This team is good now but they are going to be scary good in a couple more years. Brockules, Mighty Mouse Quinn, and Jordan B Pettersson are all Calder finalists. They still have Lind, podz and hogs on the way. Juolevi is finding his way and we have Rathbone and Woo.

I've been critical of Green when they were shutout the first game with Virtanen in the press box. It was unfair to call hm a bad coach, can't speculate what goes on behind closed doors. This team usually starts slow but has no quit in them.

Also Benning is looking like a hockey guru right now. Name a GM that acquired 3 back to back calder finalists. It's nice to see Benning get some credit after the horrible gong show of HFboards and the borderline psychotic trolling of him and his supporters. 

• Wat 2
  • Vintage 2

10 hours ago, MikeyD said:

We finally played the way we needed to offensively tonight. We weren't making plays up the ice (always zipping it out and dumping it in as opposed to catching guys with speed in the neutral zone) and Marky had his worst game is the season and we still won because we played the right way. 

And not a game too soon. We need to carry this play out because of we play this way defensively and offensively and Markstrom is back to himself we can have a great run. 

Side notes: Juolevi played a quiet great game. Mac and Beagle need more ice time because their forecheck is amazing since they've linked up. Hughes is back to normal which is scary for the opposition. Why does Edler look like he can skate again??? Bo proved me wrong immediately after I said he needs to step up lol.

My poor wife, I woke her up celebrating on our honeymoon. Ah well, &^@# her, I deserve this! Haha jkjk

&^@# her on your honeymoon...that's a no brainer....well done!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

43 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Stars/Blues should be a good game, I am sure neither team really wants to face us in the first round, so they are playing for something meaningful

lets hope. the other round robin games have been brutal. May as well not broadcast them they have been so crappy lol

45 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Stars/Blues should be a good game, I am sure neither team really wants to face us in the first round, so they are playing for something meaningful

It will be a difference of having Ryan O"Reilly in his prime queuing in on Petey or an aging Joe Pavelski who is still damn good lol. 

Not a bad test for petey either way. That line crushed the wild 5 on 5 lol.

1 hour ago, canuck2288 said:

Love it and props to Sutter

tgis will only be the beginning of targeting as the playoffs move on and thus is the response we MUST have 

teams will target EP. and Hughes so they need to know we won’t sit idle without immediate retribution 

we also need to legally pound their “stars”

that's the thing about a pack mentality....the zebras can't throw everyone in the box, so the pack can get their licks in, if they focus on getting their licks in, and not get penalized. Zebras usually only throw one player in the box... for example, Sutter got his lick in without getting penalized because he was part of the pack...and he was focused on getting his lick in (staying in the moment and living in the moment).

• Cheers 1

35 minutes ago, Timbermen said:

This team is good now but they are going to be scary good in a couple more years. Brockules, Mighty Mouse Quinn, and Jordan B Pettersson are all Calder finalists. They still have Lind, podz and hogs on the way. Juolevi is finding his way and we have Rathbone and Woo.

I've been critical of Green when they were shutout the first game with Virtanen in the press box. It was unfair to call hm a bad coach, can't speculate what goes on behind closed doors. This team usually starts slow but has no quit in them.

Also Benning is looking like a hockey guru right now. Name a GM that acquired 3 back to back calder finalists. It's nice to see Benning get some credit after the horrible gong show of HFboards and the borderline psychotic trolling of him and his supporters. 

Rafferty was a lot better than OJ...and OJ looked like he fit in at the NHL level with his limited minutes.

• Upvote 1

OJ looked solid in his limited minutes. That small taste will only help him moving forward. Tanev when he broke in 2011 playoffs, we all know how good of a dman Tequila has become and that experience gained is tremendous for a young player especially a dman.