The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Pool: Blues or Stars?

Rate this topic

ItalianCanuck1

Blues or Stars?   

179 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I say who cares to which opponent. Bring on the Stars or the Blues heck they can mix their best players and make a super team to play us. This year is proving to be one of the most proud times I can say I’m a Canuck fan for 35 plus years. I’ve seen the likes of Tanti, Gradin, Skriko, Smyl, Linden, Bure, Nazzy, Bert, then the Sedin era to now. This team is hungry and loaded with elite youthful talent and will go down as the best core in history for this franchise and that is with no disrespect to previous cores because I’ve loved them all. This core has every position ticked off. 50th Anniversary is special and hopefully the boys stay true to the hunger and take us where no Vancouver team has before, to a Stanley Cup Parade (social distancing of course) Let’s Gooooo! Cheers to CDC!! :towel:

• Cheers 1

It's going to be one tough series no matter who we play against.

It doesn't matter who we play against but if I must choose, I'd like to test ourselves against the reigning cup champs. If we manage to beat the cup champs, our confidence will be sky high.

• Like 1

I chose the stars because we tend to do horrible on the road in Dallas. Obviously in the bubble we get to avoid their rink.

St. Louis looks like they could repeat easy and I like our chances against the stars better. That being said if we’re looking to win it all the opponent isn’t that relevant, we should be able to beat them all. 

Edited by NucksCelts

8 minutes ago, NucksCelts said:

I chose the stars because we tend to do horrible on the road in Dallas. Obviously in the bubble we get to avoid their rink.

St. Louis looks like they could repeat easy and I like our chances against the stars better. That being said if we’re looking to win it all the opponent isn’t that relevant, we should be able to beat them all. 

Beat them all is right! Bring em all on even Sutherland!! :towel:

I vote Blues, I know they have a very talented forward group but the Canucks have a great ability to shut down skilled players or at least keep them on the perimeter and I think the speed of the Canucks and their aggressive forecheck bodes well against the Blues defense.

For some reason we won the season series against St. Louis with 3 tight games and us winning two of them. Against Dallas we got blown out in both games.

That being said, the Blues are hungry, and they've got high expectations. A Canucks - Blues series has had history before and could be interesting - if pressures are too high for St. Louis we could sneak in as the underdogs and cause an upset if they choke (ala SJS). So far they haven't played GREAT hockey against the Avs and Vegas to be fair, but I bet they'll turn it right on in Game 1.

On the other-hand, Dallas were only slightly a plus-team and only a few points ahead of us. They've been shutout already and haven't quite got their game together yet in the first two round robin losses. My worry with Dallas is that their top-6 will rip through our relatively-weak defence. Those big forwards will eat up our defence, with Myers the only big presence but he's not really that tough and guys like Benn will just barge through lil Hughes. It'd be a wide-open series and hopefully our firepower can keep up, but as long as Marky is hot we've got a decent chance.

On the whole, you'd have to think the percentages would favour a Dallas match up because I really don't see us beating a St. Louis team that deep over a long series - we might get a couple of wins but they'll eventually show their worth. For that reason, I think depth-wise we're probably even a better team than Dallas despite the shocking matchup in the season series. One thing is that there's no more home-ice advantage so the season series may not even really matter that much.

I voted Blues, not because of which team is the easier or deeper team to play against. That part is debatable.

If we can beat the Blues then perhaps our guys would truly believe they could go all the way this year. If Marky stays hot, and we don't play him back to back, we could have a goal tending edge on nearly every team. And on paper, we have quite a bit of firepower up front, if we can stay healthy and out of the penalty box. I like our chances either way. I'm not going to say we are going to win, but I think it's possible if they stick together and stick with the plan. You have to believe....

• Vintage 1

St.Louis forecheck could bang up Edler and Tanev:  

Just adding to my earlier comments with regards to preferring to play Dallas, my concern with playing the Blues (directly after having played a physically demanding series against the Wild) is the Blues’ forecheck and the effect that it could have on Edler and Tanev over time.   

I’m of the opinion that if a team wants to make it to the finals, then you need to have 1-2 series where the physicality isn’t so much.  

For example - In 2011, we played 3 of the top 5 most physical teams in the league that season (Nashville, San Jose, and Boston) and we eventually had too many injuries by the time the finals rolled around.   If you recall correctly, the Bruins faced Montreal and Tampa in the East (two solid teams, but not overly physical).   

Getting back to my point, we already had a physical series against Minnesota, and that technically wasn’t even the playoffs.   I think it would be nice to go up against a team that isn’t so physically imposing.  FYI - Colorado would have been my other preference.   Having said all that, please do not confuse “physically demanding” as “easier.”   

All of our series’ will be difficult from here on out no matter whom we play, but it would be nice to play in a physically less taxing series.

ps ————————The Canucks usually don’t have a post season advantage over all/most teams, but we have had an advantage over both Dallas and St.Louis in the post season.

St.Louis (1995,2003,2009)

Dallas (1994, 2007).