Canucks Community

WCQF: (4) St. Louis Blues vs. (5) Vancouver Canucks

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2020 Stanley Cup Playoffs | Round 1  

464 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the series?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/14/2020 at 10:30 PM

46 minutes ago, redhdlois said:

Binnington said (on social media) he should have won the Calder.  
Looking forward to Petey showing him (again) why he won it.

Ofcourse he would want the Calder and the Hart and the Pearson and the Vezina. 

But what I'm saying is both Binnington and Petey would rather have a Cup ring over the Calder or any/all of those troohies any day of the week and 16 times on Sunday. 

okay Young-uns, I went with the Nucks in 6 only because that's the only game I cannot watch ( Out on the Lake in the Boat til Dark, maybe even sleeping on it)

I'm gonna ask the admiral if we can Hotel it that night , so maybe catch that game.

I believe Marky steals 2 games for us and our TEAM with that Pack mentality comes through for the other 2.

Go Nucks

3 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

I think the vets like Pearson, Toffoli, Beagle and Sutter will keep them in check. Pearson, Toffoli and Beagle have won cups and have lots of playoff experience to draw upon so the team should be in good hands. Pettersson and Hughes also have that championship DNA so they will be ready against the Blues.

Edler and Tanev has also gone to a SC game 7 - and then endured their share of humbling years since - so I'd agree that the team will probably not get too ahead of themselves.

That said, however, when I think of Boeser, Pettersson and Hughes - as far as young players go, these guys also appear to have championship mentalities, so I think they'll also have a healthy amount of measured confidence.

• Cheers 3

3 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

I wholeheartedly believe we can beat the Blues. Just look at our season match-ups this year. We went 2-0-1 against them.

Imo, those games against the Blues were markers of what this team can truly accomplish. Amid all the frustration early on in the season, when we needed to bounce back and beat the best, we did just that. 

I'm not saying it'll be easy but I believe we can win this series. 

When I watched last nights game, I realized that its best to face the Blues rather than Stars. The Blues had 5 months off which has affected them negatively and they have lost 4 straight. Bennington has given up lots of goals during the 2 games he has played so he is clearly off his game. Combined that with the fact the Canucks are coming in hot and the Canucks could easily overwhelm them the 1st 2 games of the series. Advantage is for the teams that have played a qualifying round series and have adjusted and fixed their system in high pressure games while the teams that played round robin games are still relaxing. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Edler and Tanev has also gone to a SC game 7 - and then endured their share of humbling years since - so I'd agree that the team will probably not get too ahead of themselves.

That said, however, when I think of Boeser, Pettersson and Hughes - as far as young players go, these guys also appear to have championship mentalities, so I think they'll also have a healthy amount of measured confidence.

Also don't forget Miller and Horvat who are hardworking and accountable. Plus depth players like Roussell and Motte also will play their best just like in the Minny series. I can't think of any passengers on this team, everyone seems to be playing as well as they can so I hope it will be enough to beat the sleeping Blues team.

14 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

When I watched last nights game, I realized that its best to face the Blues rather than Stars. The Blues had 5 months off which has affected them negatively and they have lost 4 straight. Bennington has given up lots of goals during the 2 games he has played so he is clearly off his game. Combined that with the fact the Canucks are coming in hot and the Canucks could easily overwhelm them the 1st 2 games of the series. Advantage is for the teams that have played a qualifying round series and have adjusted and fixed their system in high pressure games while the teams that played round robin games are still relaxing. 

I agree with you on both. Dallas would have given us more trouble. Even with how the Blues have played, we still need to approach this series as if the Blues will find their game. The more off their game, the better for us. But we can't rely on that. 

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

I was thinking more of Matt Murray vs. Brock Boeser (and Murray's "lucky" saga) in comparison to Binnington vs another actual Canuck calder winner/EP - than a comparison of Murray vs Binnington career trajectories - I'd agree that Murray has accomplished more.

I think Binnington gets over-fluffed.  He entered somewhat of a perfect storm - a contender quality team that was severely underperforming....I don't see it as Binnington pulling that team to the top - there are plenty of more difficult goaltending gigs than playing behind the Blues.  Personally, I'd take Markstrom over Binnington.

I’m not worried at all about Binnington.  In fact think we could possibly ruin his career.  Allen on the other hand is worrisome.   Let’s hope these fools keep trying to re-ignite last years run.   If I had to place one bet on the series it would be that Binnington loses the net.    He’s like Murray but magnified and time speeding up.    MAF is a better goalie then Murray - and I’m pretty sure Allen (at his “huge” 2 million) is also better then Binnington.   They are NOT going to repeat.  If we don’t beat them then someone else will.   And if I had to place a bet I’m betting on us.   St Louis losing in six is what I voted for ... but I was erring one caution.  Really think it will be Vancouver in five.    They are one and done.  

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

My concern is that they just took a tough series and I don't want them to coast on that.  They celebrated, hard, in that locker room and it was awesome but they have to wipe that slate clean and not dwell there.  Super proud of them for accomplishing that feat but it's a reset.  I don't want them to feel too confident because they have to remember (and I'm sure they will) they're playing the SC Champs, who have something to prove.  

I totally agree with oldnews...very good points up there. 

Can hardly wait! 

That hard celebration tells me that these guys are fully vested into this. I haven’t seen our guys this excited in many years and I believe that this emotion is just the beginning. If anything, it will drive them more. This team is not quite not 2011 caliber but very like 1994.

Edited by grandmaster
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 3