The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bob McKenzie announces "semi-retirement"

Rate this topic

17 minutes ago, chon derry said:

the best in the biz , gives you the stories with  no team bias ,always neutral ,and honest knowledge the way it should be. unfortunately this probably gives dreger an even bigger mouth if thats even possible.

But probably a smaller audience.  I'm not going to be switching the channel to TSN now, especially now that Sportsnet has started cleaning out some of their worst offenders on the panel; Friedman is now the best in the business with this retirement.

• Upvote 1

I genuinely don't think hockey would be covered the way it is today if not for Bob in his early years.

He was so passionate about the game and the growth and development of its players, and truly understood how to generate excitement around the inner-workings of the sport (trades, signings, drafting, management/owners).

I'm glad he's still going to be taking part in a lot of that, but we want more Bob, not less.

Edited by nergish
  • Cheers 3

LOVE Bob..wish him all the best moving forward.  He was a level headed, sound "presenter" of the game.  Didn't veer off course a whole lot as happens at times.  I love a bit of fun banter...but sometimes it loses the focus and gets silly.  He was always focused and all business...ultimate professional.

Was thrilled to briefly meet him and get his autograph last year.

(Along with another guy....over there, on the left)

image.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

53 minutes ago, TNucks1 said:

bob mckenzie is one of my favourites, sucks, but happy retirement.

EDIT: at least he'll be around here and there.

Did you read that "short List" of his?

He sounds like he is going from 24/7 hockey to 23/6 hockey and on call

he has only been around since 1979, I think I confuse him with Dave Hodge who I think has been around longer than I have been watching

I hope he enjoys the time off

• Cheers 1

I have to say I'm kinda sad he's sticking with TSN for 5 years. I was hoping he'd jump ship and go to Sportsnet. For less hours and more money. 

But then again when Bob completely retires, I doubt there's anyone that can replace him.

His hockey knowledge is vast, and is one of the better talent evaluators in the biz. 

Thanks Bob. Keep working at your own pace. We will still be listening. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I have to say I'm kinda sad he's sticking with TSN for 5 years. I was hoping he'd jump ship and go to Sportsnet. For less hours and more money. 

But then again when Bob completely retires, I doubt there's anyone that can replace him.

His hockey knowledge is vast, and is one of the better talent evaluators in the biz. 

Thanks Bob. Keep working at your own pace. We will still be listening. 

That would mean WJHC without Bob; I'm not ready for that.  He probably doesn't want to be on the same network as his kid either.

• Cheers 1

Liked Bob Mac..seemed to have integrity. Enjoyed his Hockey News work, back in the 80's

Apparently this O-Dog(that his name?!) ***hole is taking his spot(as an 'insider'), from next Jan? The guy straight-up said he doesn't like Vancouver(on-air).

Twit should've been fired, way back.

At least KB3 seems to have our journalistic-angle covered.. & with style. We all witnessed back in 2011, 12, 13 etc..how negative press can dog-pile on a team in this 24/7 age.