The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at St. Louis Blues | Aug. 12, 2020 | Canucks lead series 1-0

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

Lol, I got a noise complaint from the neighbors. So sorry my happiness offends you.

I'll move if my cheering for the Canucks offends you.

Vancouver here I come.

Well, if you do live in St Louis .........

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, KO7 said:

My main concern for the rest of the series is how the refs do or don’t protect Quinn and Petey from cheapshots that should be called penalties.  That ref who stood several metres away while Perron repeatedly attacked Quinn with the puck nowhere close should be disciplined for either being blind or plain incompetent at his job.

Besides Markstrom, Quinn is the gamebreaker on the Canucks, and it’s obvious to the Blues now.  Huggy Bear needs to be protected at all cost cause if he’s hobbling, this series is lost IMO.   

I agree he should be protected at all costs but disagree if we lose him the series is lost.   This team is too deep for that - yes it would be huge - especially for the PP but 5 x 5 it wouldn’t hurt us as bad as you might think.  OJ could fill in and you never do know - yes QHs is a game breaker ... so is EP, Horvat, Miller BB and even Pearson the way he’s been going.    QHs starts ever shift in the offensive zone and for sure he’s the stick that stirs it.   But god forbid we ever have to find out I believe this team has the chops to keep going.   Too many weapons and too many guys capable of stepping up (Myers actually runs a good PP, just never get to see it because he’s always skating on with 20-25 seconds left - starting behind our own net too)... 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Silent Man said:

I think Allen will be in next game.

I think they have to give Binnington the start. If we score a quick 2-3 maybe they yank him but i can't imagine it would happen this soon. Allen's numbers were fantastic in the round robin but.. Allen is also the goalie petey and boes lit up last year for 5 pts Lol.

4 minutes ago, Dannydog said:

With most people giving the nod to Makar in the reg season,does Hughs blow by him in the calder race with his remarkable play off performance?

Playoffs arent supposed to play a factor in calder. If that were the case bennington would have won last year.

Edited by 73 Percent
  • Cheers 4

26 minutes ago, knucklehead91 said:

That “waste of talent” saved a goal. Virtanen had some big hits early in the game as well. There were also a total of 9 penalties in the game, which he saw 28 seconds of power play time and zero time on the PK. He isnt used in those situations, so for a guy getting limited ice time and not seeing any of the special teams ice time, its going to be difficult for him to get into the game. Boeser and Miller had 6:51 PP TOI and Pettersson had 7:01 PP TOI. Virtanen had a total of 9:26 TOI  And was the 3rd lowest forward for TOI. Give the kid some credit for making a great read and saved a goal in his limited ice time and 4th line duties.

JV is a secret weapon too.   If needed he can move into any slot from the top to bottom line and that’s how TG likes to use him for the most part.   He’s a go to player for him when the lineup isn’t working mid-game both ways ... last night he wasn’t needed so wasn’t played as much ... yeah for sure he could have been more noticeable but he wasn’t noticeable in a bad way either.   He’s also streaky .... when he scores or gets a point we usually always win this season ...

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Dannydog said:

With most people giving the nod to Makar in the reg season,does Hughs blow by him in the calder race with his remarkable play off performance?

calder voting is done before the playoffs start.

But you are right, remarkable it is.   If they take that kid out of the lineup where would the Canucks be?  There are stretches where the whole offence flows through his stick.  Not only that, the PP looks 10 times deadlier than if Edler was running the point.

The blues are going to target the kid with everything they got including cheap shots. 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, IBatch said:

I agree he should be protected at all costs but disagree if we lose him the series is lost.   This team is too deep for that - yes it would be huge - especially for the PP but 5 x 5 it wouldn’t hurt us as bad as you might think.  OJ could fill in and you never do know - yes QHs is a game breaker ... so is EP, Horvat, Miller BB and even Pearson the way he’s been going.    QHs starts ever shift in the offensive zone and for sure he’s the stick that stirs it.   But god forbid we ever have to find out I believe this team has the chops to keep going.   Too many weapons and too many guys capable of stepping up (Myers actually runs a good PP, just never get to see it because he’s always skating on with 20-25 seconds left - starting behind our own net too)... 

I agree that this is a deep team, but in terms of offensive defencemen, it isn’t.  Goals would be *extremely* hard to come by if we don’t have Quinn creating the spacing/chances and giving juicy feeds on the PP, and to a lesser extent, 5 on 5.  Goals against a stingy team like the Blues will be hard enough the rest of the way as it is with a healthy Quinn.  

God forbid we experience that scenario, like you said. 

3 minutes ago, D-Money said:

So, we’ve won 4 games in a row, and yet you want to change everything up because little David Perron took a free cheap shots?

Talk about playing right into their hands. That would be Mission Accomplished for Perron.

No - another concussion for Petey and a broken rib or 2 for Hughes would be "mission accomplished"

2 minutes ago, D-Money said:

So, we’ve won 4 games in a row, and yet you want to change everything up because little David Perron took a free cheap shots?

Talk about playing right into their hands. That would be Mission Accomplished for Perron.

This kind of reminds me of the Twins during the 2011 and 2012 seasons...

There were a ton of fans and media being critical of them for just taking the punishment and try to make them pay on the PP...

Next year, Hank decides enough is enough and fights back. Those same fans and media (I'm looking at you, Nick Kypreos) are ripping him...."What are you doing? That's not your game!"....:rolleyes:

As far as last night goes, it's pretty simple: Marky outplayed Binnington. Otherwise, there isn't much to separate the two teams.

• Upvote 2

Just now, sonoman said:

It looked like the Blues were trying to exploit the short side on Marky as well. 

Marky has been through too much adversity in his career to not be able to make adjustments. He tightened that short side up real well. Last night was really a great game on all fronts fwds, D, and goalie

• Cheers 1