Sign in to follow this  
-Vintage Canuck-

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at St. Louis Blues | Aug. 12, 2020 | Canucks lead series 1-0

Rate this topic

9 minutes ago, TheCerebral1 said:

If that means a Stanley Cup run, and hoist.  Sure.  :metal:

Stanley Cupsss :towel:

3 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

Will the league fine Perron for the nut shot on Roussel? 

I doubt it but i think they should look at it.  

next game i give him hardest ball spear hes ever had see how revenge feels  

• Hydration 2

13 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Yeah. I'd want to keep Virtanen as well and give him one more chance to doing the right things. 

For 2.5m, I'd keep Jake. I wish he'd wake up and show up at these playoffs though. He hasn't really done anything on the ice worth noting. Almost forgot that he was on the team last night. Hasn't shown up in any noticeable way - no scoring, no hitting - nothing. It's like he's not even on the roster. 

He's getting sub 10 minutes. Hard to do anything with no ice time. Big Mac has borderline looked invisible, but I know it's not cause he's bad or anything but because he's not being utilized. Greener has shortened his bench to the stud top 6, and the safe vet bottom 6ers (Sutter, Beagle, and Motter). People say, "Jake is invisible, haven't seen him." Well it's not hard to tell why, he's not even playing.

31 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I can't see the Blues going down 2-0. 

By Friday    night, the series should be tied at 1-1. 

Sour puss.   Have to BELIEVE.   I’m thinking at this point the Blues are now the underdogs.   You may be right.  It comes down to do they go with Allen.   And he’s not great but not bad - could also be ventilated.   Said at the outset the only thing that scares me about the Blues is Allen.  We have Binnington and the Blues number - advantage us.  Yes they are the champs but how many times have we seen the “champs” bow out in the first round since the cap started.   Enough times.   Started with 6 before the series started then got cocky and said 5.   They might play their best game tomorrow who knows.   Said when we lost to MIN in game one that they just played their best game and after that it would be all us.  Despite all the evidence (and yes I get it after watching this team for decades) still fans are hesitant... that’s ok.    I could be wrong but I don’t think I am - Canucks in 5, at most 6. 

• Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, IBatch said:

To me it has way more of a early 90’s vibe.   The WCE didn’t do much of anything in the playoffs and no matter how dominant they were in the regular season it never translated into the post season (Naslund was also like 27 before he was a top player and managed nothing at 19-22)....  this young core is the ONLY core other then the Linden/Bure/Ronning one that actually won a series at that age.   Sure it was five games but so far both teams haven’t been able to shut done our young core ... and only Linden, Bure and Ronning so far have been able to elevate their play in the post season or at least keep on par.    JT Miller and Pearson are doing their best Courtnall/Adams impressions too.   Ronning was Horvats age and Linden EPs, Bure QHs etc.   In 1999 we were still getting over the Messier stink.  It stunk so bad.  Jovo at least was a young gun with a ton of promise - other then that not much similarities at all. 

That's honestly the right call.  I love all the comparisons, and Ronning to Horvat is pretty spot on.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, IBatch said:

To me it has way more of a early 90’s vibe.   The WCE didn’t do much of anything in the playoffs and no matter how dominant they were in the regular season it never translated into the post season (Naslund was also like 27 before he was a top player and managed nothing at 19-22)....  this young core is the ONLY core other then the Linden/Bure/Ronning one that actually won a series at that age.   Sure it was five games but so far both teams haven’t been able to shut done our young core ... and only Linden, Bure and Ronning so far have been able to elevate their play in the post season or at least keep on par.    JT Miller and Pearson are doing their best Courtnall/Adams impressions too.   Ronning was Horvats age and Linden EPs, Bure QHs etc.   In 1999 we were still getting over the Messier stink.  It stunk so bad.  Jovo at least was a young gun with a ton of promise - other then that not much similarities at all. 

Totally agree. WCE was 5-6 yeras older then BB, EP, QH, and make up of that 1999-2003 team was different. 

This Canucks team has a group of future superstars in making supported by a group of solid veterans. And what  the special about this team is the fact that these future superstars are making most of the work done. Unlike Sadins 2000-2003, when they were in supporting role.

Just my 2 cents.

9 hours ago, NaveJoseph said:

I don't know why people are criticizing Jake. His line did good.

CDC has an incessant addiction to picking out whipping boys.

Nothing more irrelevent - and perhaps sad - on a night with a victory like that.

And imo most of it is myopic - with little concept of the role his line was playing.  

The expectation appears to be that he should have dominated, had some notable scoring chances, etc - however, that shutdown line outplayed the Blues 5 on 5  - and this was huge.

Ironically, attributing 100% of that to two of the three forwards -  would only underline the sheer dominance of another whipping boy around here - Sutter. 

Jake was fine - made no mistakes, was 'invisible' in a positive sense as much as any negative that can be assigned to him.  Is there room for improvement - maybe - but no one here can claim to have seen enough of him - in a televised game - to say.  Only Green and a few others in the building really know what his overall performance looked like.

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Unless you watched the game live - which you did not - you saw perhaps a fraction of Virtanen's game.

Most of you are basing this kind of judgement on impressions and the fact that you barely noticed him. 

And then you're jumping to assumptions that because you thought he was 'invisible' that he had a horrible game. 

Perhaps some of you just lack vision?  :bigblush:

I could not care less if a young player like him is not one of the standouts on a night many players stood out - and the team won.

Fantenburg, for example, may have seemed 'invisible' - but he quietly had an excellent game within the role he fulfilled. 

You don't beat a Stanley Cup Champion - soundly  - in a playoff game - with passengers in your lineup.  And a line like theirs does not have such a dominant game with one of their wingers sleeping vacantly, certainly not against the kind of complete opponent they were facing shift in shift out.

So while some of you may pick out a situational bone to pick with Virtanen - overall I could not disagree with you more. 

Fatenburg made an awesome outlet pass...glad someone pointed him out..no passengers indeed.  To me it’s mostly about heightened expectations regarding JV.   Maybe his skill-set and definitely his draft position.   However I’d like to point out that he’s definitely going to surpass what expert scouts consider a “bust” at number 6 next year ... not every top ten pick makes it - and the ones that do don’t always become top line or top pairing players either.  He’s playing against the Stanley Cup Champs in his first playoff series (ok second)...his tools are great...Raymond also has wheels to spare as did Hansen (who I believe he surpassed or was on pace to surpass his best season ever this year). 

JV in the bottom six means we have a super solid top six.   He’s also more of a middle six player ... if that’s all he will ever be that he will enjoy a 10-12 year career and completely obliterate the 450ish bust mark.   We’ve been patient this far why not just keep that up.   20/20 guys don’t grow on trees.  Especially ones like JV.   

• Hydration 2

4 minutes ago, TheCerebral1 said:

Brandon Sutter since the start of the play in round has looked stellar.  I've always appreciated his game, but he's for sure stepped things up. 

Yeah - it's great to see a relatively healthy Sutter.  He's so much better than most of the market realizes. This is the 'foundational' player that Benning acquired.  Can't do much about being in the M.A.S.H. unit as much as he has, but when you see him performing and healthy, it's patently obvious how much better he would make any 3rd line / bottom six.  He's a high end shutdown guy with great counterpunching abilities.  He can frustrate the best of them on any given night.  Critical element to have in the series.  He and Beagle imo = there is no better 1-2 shutdown punch in the NHL - and anyone that truly understands the two way nature of sport - would understand the value of that.

• Thanks 1
  • Hydration 1

So if Toffoli is ready to go later in this series, who do you take out? 

11 hours ago, MikeBossy said:

Leonardo Dicaprio Reaction GIFremind you of anyone after his penalty late in the game?

Is that Nylander? lol, jk

• Hydration 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, NucksIn50 said:

It looked like the Canucks were trying to exploit every hole on Binnington as well. ::D :towel:

Bill Hader Reaction GIF by Saturday Night Live

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Darius said:

So if Toffoli is ready to go later in this series, who do you take out? 

Most likely it will be either MacEwen or Virtanen.

2 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Fatenburg made an awesome outlet pass...glad someone pointed him out..no passengers indeed.  To me it’s mostly about heightened expectations regarding JV.   Maybe his skill-set and definitely his draft position.   However I’d like to point out that he’s definitely going to surpass what expert scouts consider a “bust” at number 6 next year ... not every top ten pick makes it - and the ones that do don’t always become top line or top pairing players either.  He’s playing against the Stanley Cup Champs in his first playoff series (ok second)...his tools are great...Raymond also has wheels to spare as did Hansen (who I believe he surpassed or was on pace to surpass his best season ever this year). 

JV in the bottom six means we have a super solid top six.   He’s also more of a middle six player ... if that’s all he will ever be that he will enjoy a 10-12 year career and completely obliterate the 450ish bust mark.   We’ve been patient this far why not just keep that up.   20/20 guys don’t grow on trees.  Especially ones like JV.   

The thing about Virtanen - is that Green has developed him for versatility.  He has learned to play a responsible defensive game - and his speed, size, grit - enables him to provide a really frustrating shutdown presence on a shutdown line - as well as the ability to step up offensively  - and, for example, have a 20 goal season as he did this year.  Dumping him for a 2nd round pick - is a really bad idea imo.  If he plays solidly without the puck on a shutdown unit = that is an important contribution, particularly when your talented, more one way young players are producing.  Basically, he was part of a winning formula last night and fulfilled his role adequately. 

• Hydration 1

1 hour ago, Rush17 said:

That would destroy any confidence the team has in him if the coach pulls him after 1 game lol. They have to give the guy at least the start of the next game. 

That was my first thought too. But it’s not just one game - he was brutal in both the round robin games as well. I suspect Binnington will still start game 2, but it wouldn’t shock me if he didn’t.

Allen has actually outplayed him all year. Jake’s a headcase, but has the ability to go on a run and steal a game/series. 

8 minutes ago, oldnews said:

CDC has an incessant addiction to picking out whipping boys.

I think that’s most fans of professional sports teams. 

• Hydration 1