The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at St. Louis Blues | Aug. 12, 2020 | Canucks lead series 1-0

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

7 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Sigh. I really want Jake to break through. So yes, for me, one more chance. 

He'll be 24, turning 25. If he doesn't get it together then, maybe he never will. That's entering into Goldobin territory. 

he was on pace for 23-25 goals and has improved every year.  What is is you want him to break out from, exactly?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Hard to take out the likes of Jake and Zack because of their size, but both are playing under 10 minutes a night (under 6 for Zack). LE has been getting minutes, mainly because he's a PKer and that has helped stabilize this area in his return. I rather bump LE's time down by having him on the 4th line, but having him when needed for the PK. So IMO, I rather take out one of Jake or Zack if Toffoli is to return and that's if we aren't messing with a winning lineup. We are simply demonstrating that we can win without Toffoli and have been generating offense still. But yes serious depth indeed when we have a top 6 forward option potentially waiting in the wings.

he's been with Pearson and Bo 5 on 5 a lot tho, and he really helps to increase chances for and reduces chances against on that line. Moving him to the 4th line now (in the absence of a healthy Toffoli) would be a mistake imo. That line works, I'd leave it be with who's currently healthy. I think its Zack that is moved out once TT is back, and maybe they try a 3rd line of Jake-Sutter-TT and put Rous in with Beagle. 

6 minutes ago, Petey Castiglione said:

https://streamable.com/i4ifb2#

Eddie crushes Perron.  Much satisfying.

I think he was a bit lucky to avoid a penalty on that play. He did a good job of selling it as a collision....

I think that non-call was a big part of the reason that AP and the rest of the Blues were so salty about the late Interference call. It was an obvious penalty, but he has to believe the zebras didn't give him the same leeway they gave Eddie...

16 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Sigh. I really want Jake to break through. So yes, for me, one more chance. 

He'll be 24, turning 25. If he doesn't get it together then, maybe he never will. That's entering into Goldobin territory. 

i think he has used up his chances, he was almost invisible this game, a few shifts he just stayed back and watched the play. where is all the big crushing hits or the drive to the net. i really wanted Jake to be great but he is disappointing. if he can't raise his game in the playoffs, then when will he?

Edited by bree2

4 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

he's been with Pearson and Bo 5 on 5 a lot tho, and he really helps to increase chances for and reduces chances against on that line. Moving him to the 4th line now (in the absence of a healthy Toffoli) would be a mistake imo. That line works, I'd leave it be with who's currently healthy. I think its Zack that is moved out once TT is back, and maybe they try a 3rd line of Jake-Sutter-TT and put Rous in with Beagle. 

There are only so many minutes to go around. Zack has been playing around 6 minutes a night. So yes he could be pulled out, but who's getting their ice time reduced? Maybe it could be TT to ease him back in, but he's got to be getting at least 10 minutes. With that said, Toffoli is pretty responsible defensively, so it wouldn't be taking too much away defensively for that line while adding more of a threat offensively.

Either way, it's nice to have the options. I just think it would be either Jake or Zack out instead of LE because LE is playing an important role rather than minimal minutes. The presence of Zack has seemed more intimidating than Jake though, but Jake has that breakout potential that could dominate a game/series. A good problem to have right now.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

That type of player needs to be acquired

I absolutely agree.  We most definitely need a guy to protect our skill guys from being roughed up after the play.  The refs certainly aren't going to do it.  The frustrating thing is that Jim did go out and get a good player who could dish out punishing hits and fight when needed but he's out injured, again.  That's sad but the need is still there and so we need to try again.  Otherwise a very satisfying win.  Go Canucks Go!

• Cheers 1

Just now, nux_win said:

I absolutely agree.  We most definitely need a guy to protect our skill guys from being roughed up after the play.  The refs certainly aren't going to do it.  The frustrating thing is that Jim did go out and get a good player who could dish out punishing hits and fight when needed but he's out injured, again.  That's sad but the need is still there and so we need to try again.  Otherwise a very satisfying win.  Go Canucks Go!

those guys don't stop it from happening, they just punish guys who do it and that's a thing of the past.  Those guys are pretty much useless now.  Guys like Petey and Hughes just have to figure out how to deal with it.........and they've got it pretty easy compared to stars from the past.

• Vintage 1

34 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Really thought McEwen was engaged and even dangerous every shift - his roughing call was also total BS barely finished his check and so much other garbage was happening it was the stupidest call of the game.   He had their best line hemmed down to the point they drew a penalty... McEwen was more noticeable then JV, and that’s ok - he definitely knows which side his bread is buttered on and is an absolute must as a deterrent against a team like St Louis and MIN for that matter.   McEwen definitely made the most of his minutes.

Agree that JV didn’t play much - and he also agree (if that’s what your saying) that JV was “invisible “ in a good way. 

Don’t see any purpose in criticizing a win like that.   We allowed one breakaway to one of the fastest players in the game - and they capatilzed.    No complaints here at all. 

People have been criticizing Jake though saying he's invisible. Which was really the only thing I was saying. It was a good win. The studs came to play, Marky looked great. Just making note of why Jake has looked invisible thus far. His game isn't predicated around physicality. He has physical aspects, but that's not the crux of his game. If you want the best outta Jake he needs to at least be back at his regular 13-14 minutes a game he was getting in the regular season. BUT shortening the bench has been working so I am fine staying status quo, I just hope the ultra critical fans keep in mind that Jake isn't getting the same looks he was getting in the regular season before they start to criticize him.

1 minute ago, theo5789 said:

There are only so many minutes to go around. Zack has been playing around 6 minutes a night. So yes he could be pulled out, but who's getting their ice time reduced? Maybe it could be TT to ease him back in, but he's got to be getting at least 10 minutes. With that said, Toffoli is pretty responsible defensively, so it wouldn't be taking too much away defensively for that line while adding more of a threat offensively.

Either way, it's nice to have the options. I just think it would be either Jake or Zack out instead of LE because LE is playing an important role rather than minimal minutes. The presence of Zack has seemed more intimidating than Jake though, but Jake has that breakout potential that could dominate a game/series. A good problem to have right now.

yup for sure. 

I don't think we'll see Fantenberg removed either, he's playing so well right now, unless he's got a nagging injury i think Benn will sit. 

Just now, Smashian Kassian said:

What notable play did he make last night?

his line dominated the play 5v5 when they were on the ice......per old news stats.  That's the problem with many posters here, not much in game experience and if it isn't glaringlyobvious and flashy it didn't happen.

7 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I think he was a bit lucky to avoid a penalty on that play. He did a good job of selling it as a collision....

I think that non-call was a big part of the reason that AP and the rest of the Blues were so salty about the late Interference call. It was an obvious penalty, but he has to believe the zebras didn't give him the same leeway they gave Eddie...

The difference is that Perron 100% earned that hit and the play later in the game wasn't earned.  Yes they seem to be calling things randomly but the Blues have no justifiable reason to think they were done in by bad refereeing.  They got away with a lot in that game.  They just didn't score as many goals as we did.  And not only that, they seem unable to face that fact.  Bodes well for us.  Go Canucks Go!

49 minutes ago, Darius said:

So if Toffoli is ready to go later in this series, who do you take out? 

I say for this series, hold on to TT until someone in the top 6 gets hurt. This gives TT time to be closer to 100% and we do not disrupt the greatness that is happening right now. There is not point rushing him back in at 80% when his play won’t make more of an impact of what is going on right now. 

• Cheers 1