The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at St. Louis Blues | Aug. 12, 2020 | Canucks lead series 1-0

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, Darius said:

one thing i like about playing in the same empty arena night after night is that it levels the playing field as far as travel is concerned.  Canucks have gotten the short end of the stick many times by travelling a billion kilometres during the regular season then doing some more serious travel in the post season.  Playing at a neutral site that is empty looks like it levels the variables in certain ways....

I hadn’t considered that but the lack of travel, especially for the Canucks might be making a big difference.

also next season with Seattle coming in the Pacific coast has more teams than ever so it’s less travel

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Googlie said:

His unpenalized crosscheck on Petey, and subsequent attempt to knock his head on the ice should warrant a suspension, but won't.  Unfortunately, the players on the ice with Petey aren't first responders... Tanev, Hughes, Boeser.  Miller would, but he is nursing his wrist injury, and was almost an "unfit to play"

Time for the line blender for game 2

Zack on Petey's line, and Miller drops to center a line between Roussel and Gaudette (Zack played center in Utica, and is a decent faceoff man)

Rest Beagle for a game to let his hand heal a bit, and play Sutter between Motte and Jake (or Bailey, if Green thinks Jake needs a 73rd wake up call)

Replace Fanta with Juolevi, if we need better breakouts from that pairing with Myers, or Benn, if we want more truculence.  Myers and Fanta are not a good pairing. 

Games 3 and 4 are back to back, so nagging injuries management needs to be factored in.  For Beagle, one on - one off might accelerate the healing process. (With the luxury of a 1-0 lead, maybe give Graovac a taste ... he's played 70 NHL games,  but never post season)

But someone has to neutralize Perron

Edler needs to steamroll him one or two more times, after that I think he'll be pretty quiet ;-)

1 minute ago, higgyfan said:

Sam Bennett - #3 

I wonder if Calgary fans are still whining about Sam?

No idea what Flames fans are thinking. Bennett and Jake are similar IMO, in that they both under perform. Mind you, at least Bennett is contributing during these playoffs for CGY. 

5 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Sam Bennett - #3 

I wonder if Calgary fans are still whining about Sam?

when they lose in the playoffs (hopefully this year too lol) i think they blame guys like Monahan and JG who seem to disappear when the going gets tough.  Sam has showed up in the post season for them lately.

30 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

You know, I was all for trading Loui for Lucic...  but of course that idea was jinxed by Loui.  

It's really hard to find a guy that can skate and play that role.  Reaves only has a couple of years left in him, Wilson wouldn't be let go by Washington, and after seeing Guddy being that guy, I never want to have a d-man be our enforcer again.  

Yakov Trenin is looking good out there, but pretty unlikely that Nashville lets a 23 year old forward go. I just don't see many good tough forwards that can skate a regular shift.

I’m thinking that Benning will be looking for those types of players in the upcoming draft. 

21 minutes ago, Bure2Win said:

Whole Blues team is dirty, sure glad the refs are calling penalties that are actual penalties. They can't beat us from the box.

I  hate labels that excuse their play like "they play that way" (was just used on 650).  "Heavy".  Etc.  It's BS.  Heavy play, for me, is good solid checks into the boards.   Hard puck battles.  Clearing out the crease and using positioning.  Spears to the groin (didn't see it), attempted head shots, etc. are not "good heavy" play for me .... let's call it what it is...dirty play.  And no team gets excused in that.  The Chumps.  So last year.  

I give credit where it's due but not if it's cheaply earned.  

I'm sick of it.  I'm hearing about "The Champs" and "how they play".  They played dirty when their play, alone, wasn't enough.  Some will offer that "it's playoffs/how it's done" but when we do it, it gets noticed.  Watched/monitored.  I'm just asking for an even playing field.  It's been better lately...but there are still blatant missed calls at opportune times.  Perron's attempt to give Hughes a .... dental examination?  An attempted head shot on Brock? Whatever happened to Rooster (missed it...anyone?). That needs addressing.

I don't like the whining at/about the refs approach but, with that, these are critical calls that must be made.  Or not (then don't blow the whistle if our stick brushes by a guy who's carrying the puck either).

I loved Bo's goal because it emphasized how skill/speed can waltz right by these guys.  They might use brute force and dirty tactics but they have to be able to keep up with us to do so.

Hate the Blues.  That's mostly my message  here....grrrrrrrr.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Goldobin never figured out the NHL level - JV did.  He’s already far surpassed what Goldobin and even Bear will ever accomplish in the NHL.   People here love Hansen ... he’s really not much different..already matched Hansen’s best year.   Nothing wrong with a career middle six player as long as the cap makes sense - and so far on that front absolute aces - McJesus would have to score 300 points to make the two comparable ... points per dollar ... one year deal one million more show me deal.  Maybe his career is over after that (doubt it )....JVs got the chops for a 10-12 year career - he’s barely started IMO.

People love Hanson because he put in effort every shift, grafted and worked hard.

JV is a far more talented player than Hansen ever could be (not knocking Hansen) but he floats and coasts in games. If he put in more effort it wouldn’t be as bad. 

its the same reason why people sometimes rag on stars, effort - can score a ton of goals but if they never back check, and are lazy when it’s not going their way it rubs people up the wrong way.

i think people here want JV to be a success. Yes his season goals scoring wise was okay but there is more to it that just numbers 

• Vintage 1

4 hours ago, Googlie said:

His unpenalized crosscheck on Petey, and subsequent attempt to knock his head on the ice should warrant a suspension, but won't.  Unfortunately, the players on the ice with Petey aren't first responders... Tanev, Hughes, Boeser.  Miller would, but he is nursing his wrist injury, and was almost an "unfit to play"

Zack on Petey's line, and Miller drops to center a line between Roussel and Gaudette (Zack played center in Utica, and is a decent faceoff man)

Rest Beagle for a game to let his hand heal a bit, and play Sutter between Motte and Jake (or Bailey, if Green thinks Jake needs a 73rd wake up call)

Replace Fanta with Juolevi, if we need better breakouts from that pairing with Myers, or Benn, if we want more truculence.  Myers and Fanta are not a good pairing. 

Games 3 and 4 are back to back, so nagging injuries management needs to be factored in.  For Beagle, one on - one off might accelerate the healing process. (With the luxury of a 1-0 lead, maybe give Graovac a taste ... he's played 70 NHL games,  but never post season)

Yes this was always going to be the issue... Its the same every year, nobody really knows what's a penalty, and what isn't... some of the pens call yesterday was a joke compared to what was allowed.

Yes it would be good with some beef on Petey's wing, but its hard when Brock and Petey read so well of one another... 

I know a big brute won't deter anyone from having a go, but it will possibly reduce the amount of punishment, he takes, if a cross check on Petey is followed up immediately by a slash to the perpetrator from another player....

Petey is tough, but not big enough (yet) to fight his own battles...  

It was the main reason I was so delighted to see Myers Hammer away against the Wild, despite picking up a fair few pens along the way.

I doubt Green sits Beagle for the next game, if he can play (despite being knocked up), but agree totally that if they can give him a game off, it could be massive later in the series... If they win game 2, he may just do so.

Do we have anyone, who can throw them and smash up Perron? We definitely needs someone to step up to the plate with him, otherwise I fear for Petey and Brock.

Blues have a lot of big guys, and while I still believe we can take the series, I think, we'll be like the walking wounded once this series is over... Hope we can do it in 4 or 5, but think 6 is going to be the target.

Edited by spook007
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

34 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

You know, I was all for trading Loui for Lucic...  but of course that idea was jinxed by Loui.  

It's really hard to find a guy that can skate and play that role.  Reaves only has a couple of years left in him, Wilson wouldn't be let go by Washington, and after seeing Guddy being that guy, I never want to have a d-man be our enforcer again.  

Yakov Trenin is looking good out there, but pretty unlikely that Nashville lets a 23 year old forward go. I just don't see many good tough forwards that can skate a regular shift.

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I’m thinking that Benning will be looking for those types of players in the upcoming draft. 

These players have become such unicorns.

Roussel has the edge but not the size. I do hold out some hope for Big Mac as he has size & isn't afraid to use it (or fight), whether he has the nastiness of some of these other guys I don't know but he's got tools. 

Brendan Lemieux has edge, he might be more along the lines of Roussel than an 'enforcer' though. 

• Cheers 1

35 minutes ago, coho8888 said:

We aren't happy with just one win.  We want more.  In order to do that we need everyone on board and engaged.  I know Jake has it in him. 

We want to see more from him. 

I don't think that is hate or Whining.

Every Canucks fan wants that.  That's a crappy reason to single out a player to hate on. And I think it is whining.

This is not the first time members of CDC have done this. As a matter of fact it seems like a pattern. There has to be at least one Canucks to whine about no matter what!

I think this has to do with expectations. He was touted as a Playoff performer so to many that means hit hit hit.

I can't go through every shift but one stood out to me. We were pressing and Jake had momentum towards a Blues player. We lost the puck and they quickly transitioned. Jake did a flyby and the camera shot went to the Blues rush. As the play developed, I expected to see Jake enter the screen on the bottom left if he was playing his position right. When he did and established a good body and stick position, I gave an "atta boy Jake". I'll bet that is one of the fly by's that some mentioned. He has to work within the system and be where the coach expects him to be. If legit hits are there and it won't take him out of position, I'm confident that he will start making them.

1 hour ago, stawns said:

you don't think Gretzky was punished?  He was brutally punished, probably worse than any player in the history of the league

Yeah, he had to play in Edmonton.

And St Louis, for that matter.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

These players have become such unicorns.

Roussel has the edge but not the size. I do hold out some hope for Big Mac as he has size & isn't afraid to use it (or fight), whether he has the nastiness of some of these other guys I don't know but he's got tools. 

Brendan Lemieux has edge, he might be more along the lines of Roussel than an 'enforcer' though. 

Zack is a great addition to the team. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Googlie said:

I don't think they should throw the blender. Just let the lines work through it. They'll come into game 2 knowing what to expect from STL. 

Also I don't think they should drop Juolevi in. I actually thought Fantenberg was pretty good, he can handle the physical pressure the Blues apply, I don't think Juolevi is ready for that yet. 

53 minutes ago, DS4quality said:

Does anyone else think playing in Edmonton is an advantage for the Canucks and Flames? Both teams have had a fair amount of success in Rogers Place, and since there's no fans they can focus on their game. I feel like that building might be cursed for the Oilers, they have to watch two teams duke it out on their home ice for Lord Stanley's cup. 

nice to play there and not hear their stupid goal horn!

• Vintage 1