The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at St. Louis Blues | Aug. 12, 2020 | Canucks lead series 1-0

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

17 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

This is eating out of Perron's hands. Don't need to focus on him. Keep playing a physical and focused game. Soon he will be crying like Hartman last series. Our top players were still our top players despite his antics.

I agree. When you have a guy taking runs at your stars, going after him directly is just playing into his hands....it's exactly what the Canucks did when Ferland was on the Flames....they let him get into their heads.

The best thing to do is make sure the Blues offensive guys get the same treatment that Petey and Quinn get.

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, RUPERTKBD said:

I agree. When you have a guy taking runs at your stars, going after him directly is just playing into his hands....it's exactly what the Canucks did when Ferland was on the Flames....they let him get into their heads.

The best thing to do is make sure the Blues offensive guys get the same treatment that Petey and Quinn get.

And lay out Perron with a clean check if the opportunity presents itself. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, RUPERTKBD said:

Tarasenko and Schwartz would be the targets of choice. 

• Cheers 2

46 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Yes this was always going to be the issue... Its the same every year, nobody really knows what's a penalty, and what isn't... some of the pens call yesterday was a joke compared to what was allowed.

Yes it would be good with some beef on Petey's wing, but its hard when Brock and Petey read so well of one another... 

I know a big brute won't deter anyone from having a go, but it will possibly reduce the amount of punishment, he takes, if a cross check on Petey is followed up immediately by a slash to the perpetrator from another player....

Petey is tough, but not big enough (yet) to fight his own battles...  

It was the main reason I was so delighted to see Myers Hammer away against the Wild, despite picking up a fair few pens along the way.

I doubt Green sits Beagle for the next game, if he can play (despite being knocked up), but agree totally that if they can give him a game off, it could be massive later in the series... If they win game 2, he may just do so.

Do we have anyone, who can throw them and smash up Perron? We definitely needs someone to step up to the plate with him, otherwise I fear for Petey and Brock.

Blues have a lot of big guys, and while I still believe we can take the series, I think, we'll be like the walking wounded once this series is over... Hope we can do it in 4 or 5, but think 6 is going to be the target.

Great post Spook.   Think McEwen is now the best deterrent we have - if he’s willing to take a suspension to send a message is another thing altogether.  At least we have Captain America on their wing ... 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, higgyfan said:

Sam Bennett - #3 

I wonder if Calgary fans are still whining about Sam?

CDC needs to come to terms that Jake will maybe be your 5th best winger on the team. The team has only won 4 in a row so I guess all we can do is whine about Jake lol let’s focus our energy on the next game and win. Deal with Jake next season for now he is the depth needed to win hopefully win a series or 2. Go Canucks!!! :towel:

Edited by NucksIn50
Grammar
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Petey Castiglione said:

I think it was more tit for tat that Edler didnt get a call on that play.  Perron went after Petey which could have been interference/roughing then Edler takes out Perron. If they call Edler on the penalty then they would have to call the Perron one.  

Yeah, in some alternate universe where refereeing is fair.

19 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

“Been happy with it. Been a lot of buy-in from our group. Defensively we've taken some steps. You need a commitment from your group to do it. You're gonna have to be good in that area to win.“ - Green on 5-on-5 play

So this is what the coach is focusing on. Good positional play with defensive awareness. I already cited an example of Jake doing just that.

13 minutes ago, coho8888 said:

I'm not the only one to make this observation and again i'm not hating on Jake.  I was rather reluctant to comment on this because it seems any negative point we make on Jake would be construed as us hating on him and that we want his arse out of here which is not correct.  The fact is that if your teammates are busting their butts on every shift, getting hacked and slashed just to win, we expect everyone else to do the same.  Jake is not being paid to be a silent checker like Beagle.  He is paid to provide the physicality that this team so desperately needs.  He is one of the biggest and hardest hitters on this team.  If you haven't noticed, the Blues are a big tough team.  Jake by all accounts here was invisible.  That is not a good thing.  We don't need him to produce offensively like a first rounder should.  We just need him to show up and be engaged in the game.

You pretty much proved my point about expectations. The all accounts bit is excluding the posters who saw him play a good positional game. Yes we want more physicality from him, but judging him on one game based on expectations is unfair. He was engaged, just not in the way you demand. It sounds like Green wanted good defensive awareness against the reigning Champs.

6 minutes ago, coho8888 said:

BTW this is a discussion forum.  Regardless if we win or lose we discuss all aspects of the game and the team both good and bad.  If Jake had come out and had 2 or 3 bone crunching hits and was noticeable then we wouldn't be talking about his lackluster play right?  If Hughes had come out and made lots of mistakes and cost us a few goals, we would be commenting on that as well.   Not sure why you need to take this so personally.  I haven't given up on him.  In fact I hope to see him show up for the next game.  

Lacklustre kind of shows your bias. He did what the coach wanted otherwise Zack would have gotten those extra minutes.

57 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

I  hate labels that excuse their play like "they play that way" (was just used on 650).  "Heavy".  Etc.  It's BS.  Heavy play, for me, is good solid checks into the boards.   Hard puck battles.  Clearing out the crease and using positioning.  Spears to the groin (didn't see it), attempted head shots, etc. are not "good heavy" play for me .... let's call it what it is...dirty play.  And no team gets excused in that.  The Chumps.  So last year.  

I give credit where it's due but not if it's cheaply earned.  

I'm sick of it.  I'm hearing about "The Champs" and "how they play".  They played dirty when their play, alone, wasn't enough.  Some will offer that "it's playoffs/how it's done" but when we do it, it gets noticed.  Watched/monitored.  I'm just asking for an even playing field.  It's been better lately...but there are still blatant missed calls at opportune times.  Perron's attempt to give Hughes a .... dental examination?  An attempted head shot on Brock? Whatever happened to Rooster (missed it...anyone?). That needs addressing.

I don't like the whining at/about the refs approach but, with that, these are critical calls that must be made.  Or not (then don't blow the whistle if our stick brushes by a guy who's carrying the puck either).

I loved Bo's goal because it emphasized how skill/speed can waltz right by these guys.  They might use brute force and dirty tactics but they have to be able to keep up with us to do so.

Hate the Blues.  That's mostly my message  here....grrrrrrrr.

They can't keep up with Canucks- Sutter break away, Bo's goal , etc have exposed it I do hope Canucks will use speed to put Blues away, but it will be not easy since Blues will use anything to slow game down .

• Vintage 1