The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks lined up for 5 games in 7 nights - what’s the goalie scenario?

Rate this topic

EP40.

What to do with goalies...  

72 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

You can thank these liberal marxist leftist losers.

Clowns who aren't even in the playoffs like kane and Dumba trying to make their careers relevant.

If marky gets injured or we lose games over this crap schedule I'm going to be pissed

What a joke.

All this just because it's an election year in the states. Change my mind

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Wat 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

1 minute ago, debluvscanucks said:

You go with Marky until he runs cold...

Say he strains something in a bxb(HockeyGawds forbid)? What a way to shag a season.

This yr is a one-off, ultra-rare scenario. It's crazy to roll out a star for 5 in 7, when he's carried the team (already) farther than any progs nosticated!(yeah, that's a verb)

We need faith in all 30 bodies, or we can't expect to scrap/claw thru 5 rds.

• Huggy Bear 1

I thought Demko played fairly well when called upon for late in game 1. He didn't look nervous or out of place.

It seemed like Vegas didn't know where to shoot on him, they've never played him so they don't have a book

on Demko yet. That could play in our favor if we need to play Demko. I think we will be fine if we have to play

Demko at any point in the series.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Say he strains something in a bxb(HockeyGawds forbid)? What a way to shag a season.

This yr is a one-off, ultra-rare scenario. It's crazy to roll out a star for 5 in 7, when he's carried the team (already) farther than any progs nosticated!(yeah, that's a verb)

We need faith in all 30 bodies, or we can't expect to scrap/claw thru 5 rds.

I don't agree.

These are young, well conditioned athletes.  He could strain something at any time...

He's the best one to assess if he feels he can go or not...I think the team should really just let him run with it until they get a clear idea it's "time" to switch.  

Just my two cents.  He has the ability to get us there when he's hot...I'd like to see them play that out.

• Cheers 1

31 minutes ago, stawns said:

Markstrom, then go to markstrom........switch gears and go with markstrom and finish up with markstrom and markstrom

I would start Marky for game 3 then I’d go to Jacob for game 4.. game 5 let’s go with Marky Mark to win the series in 5 :towel:

• Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

I don't agree.

These are young, well conditioned athletes.  He could strain something at any time...

He's the best one to assess if he feels he can go or not...I think the team should really just let him run with it until they get a clear idea it's "time" to switch.  

Just my two cents.  He has the ability to get us there when he's hot...I'd like to see them play that out.

That's how I feel. 

Why would you take Marky out if he continues to play lights out? 

Just doesn't make sense. 

One game at a time. 

• Vintage 1

14 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

I don't agree.

Would gladly accept that, Deb. Long as they win it all, don't care how they do.

More likely your call will play out. TG seems pretty conservative in utilizing depth.

In this hard-hitting brand of game, I like to see a team roll with as many contributors as possible. But JB, TG(& asst's) seem to have pushed the right buttons thus far. I like to guess possible changes/lineups to pass time, but certainly no need to second-guess the work these guys have done!

8 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

The only way I can see us giving Demko a game is we somehow manage to win both games over the weekend and be up 3-1 in the series.

I think if we up 3-1 they would stick with Marky.. If he won us the last two games of a back to back, they will play him again after the day off, if then we lose game 5, they could play Demko for game 6, so if we lose, Marky will be fresh for game 7. 

What scenario.  Not to be frank but there’s no way That I’m not playing Markstrom every game period to the end of playoffs. 

Excuse my commentary coming next but I just finished watching Bad boys for Life. 

“Ride or Die”

Edited by Bertorama

3 hours ago, yes we can nucks said:

Yeah... why are we the only series to have 2 b2b games in the new schedule? 

On topic ... go with Markie in both games of the first b2b and go from there. If he shows signs of fatigue and gives up a big lead in the second game, pull him. And play him again the next game.

Tampa/Boston had 2 back-to-backs in the original schedule.  They've already played games 2 and 3 as back-to-back.  Games 6 & 7 were also scheduled as a back-to-back and still are in the revised schedule.

NYI/Philadelphia also had 2 back-to-back in the original schedule.  The postponed game 3 was the 2nd game of a back-to-back.  They now have 1 back-to-back instead of the 2 that were originally planned.

Canucks had 1 back-to-back in the original schedule (games 5 & 6).  With 5 games left they now have 2.

Colorado-Dallas only have 4 games left.  They weren't going to put 2 x back-to-backs one after another.  They stay at 1 back-to-back as originally planned.

Btw before setting the original schedule the league consulted the different teams.  They wished to compress the schedule to not spend more time than necessary away from their families in the bubble saying there's no travel and no real need for practice.

• Vintage 1

3 hours ago, BarnBurner said:

That's how I feel. 

Why would you take Marky out if he continues to play lights out? 

Just doesn't make sense. 

One game at a time. 

I bet a lot of guys like Corsi would be telling TG to sit Markstrom to avoid an injury and keep the run going.   80 shot attempts a game can’t be easy and isn’t sustainable even for Markstrom.   No point in running with the hot hand until it doesn’t make sense if that means he isn’t because he’s worked into an injury.  Broduer and recently Holtby and way in the past Furh while with St Louis at least (under Keenan no less) famously wanted to play every game AND look no worse for wear doing it, but they are outliers.  Markstrom could be too - seems to be that the more shots he takes the more he’s into it a lot of games.   It will come down to how he’s feeling and where we are in the series.   Back to back games in the playoffs is something I don’t remember ever happening - two in one series is a little much so new territory too.   Hope Demko comes in a steals one if he gets the call.  Best scenario we close them out with three wins and Demko isn’t needed - one back to back should be fine. 

3 minutes ago, IBatch said:

I bet a lot of guys like Corsi would be telling TG to sit Markstrom to avoid an injury and keep the run going.   80 shot attempts a game can’t be easy and isn’t sustainable even for Markstrom.   No point in running with the hot hand until it doesn’t make sense if that means he isn’t because he’s worked into an injury.  Broduer and recently Holtby and way in the past Furh while with St Louis at least (under Keenan no less) famously wanted to play every game AND look no worse for wear doing it, but they are outliers.  Markstrom could be too - seems to be that the more shots he takes the more he’s into it a lot of games.   It will come down to how he’s feeling and where we are in the series.   Back to back games in the playoffs is something I don’t remember ever happening - two in one series is a little much so new territory too.   Hope Demko comes in a steals one if he gets the call.  Best scenario we close them out with three wins and Demko isn’t needed - one back to back should be fine. 

Fuhr played 75 games in Edmonton too.  Guy was a machine, and surely would have played a ton more games if he didn't have possibly the best backup/1B in NHL history.

• Cheers 2

lol i just want the NHL to explain the scheduling to us.. so why the flyers islander only play 1 back to back while vancouver have to play 2 back to back when they both only played 2 games so far? like the schedule makes 0 sense.. if they wanted to finish up round 2 quickly then ok? but the flyers game 7 is on the 5th.. and there's no games scheduled in the west on the 5th? all the series ends on the 3rd or the 4th of september while flyer gets to have a day rest and play on the 5th? 

5 hours ago, stawns said:

Markstrom, then go to markstrom........switch gears and go with markstrom and finish up with markstrom and markstrom

Can't believe you forgot Marky Mark, and did you already say Markstrom?

FR though, agreed with other posters, ride the hot hand til he gets tired or loses focus (e.g. in the Wild game when he was letting in bad-angled shots) then play Demko.  If Thatcher then goes on to earn starts and steals games then all the more better, we might have another #1 goalie on our hands.  Til then, it's still Marky's team.