The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Green is afraid to use the backup goalie

Rate this topic

snucks

This is a learning xp for Green at the nhl level too. They are trying to get marky to sign an extension cheaper by not getting in his way lol. I however would put demmer in if he lets in 3 quick or soft ones in the next game. Let the kid get a chance to shine and prove he's capable.  He looked sharp in the 8 minutes he got last week.

It was a tough decision but at the end of the day Demko is unproven and so you have to go with Marky.  If Demko had played a couple games against Minnesota or St. Louis then that may have changed things.  But Green went with Marky all the way and he did get us to game 5 of the 2nd round.  Technically we are in the 3rd round right now so that is the problem, as Marky may be wearing down.  In this years playoffs you technically have to win 20 games not 16.  So having a 1B this year like Vegas has is a big advantage for them.  I see them as the favourite for the Cup really.  I don't see Dallas beating Vegas or anyone out East either.  

10 hours ago, Monkeyking said:

Green not willing to play zack macewen and olli juolevi over Jake Virtanen /oscar fantenberg. Both of them seen out of place and haven't made an impact over the post season .it is time to play our wild card the dark horses

I disagree about Fantenberg. He’s been quite solid for us on the back end. However, yes Virtanen has been too inconsistent. I would like to see Macewan and Bailey in over Virtanen and Roussel. Speed and size to match Vegas

edit: However, yes I do want to see OJ in and see what he can do

Edited by knucklehead91

Remember what happened when Calgary tried to play their backup who hadn't play in months against Dallas?

Markstrom had an extra 2 days of rest....before game 3 and game 4, what more do you want?

When you have the luxury of having MA Fleury as your backup, who actually played significant games in this playoffs, that's an easy decision.  With all due respect to Demko, I'd play a tired Markstrom over him at this point.  Guy hasn't seen meaningful real game action since March...

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, YEGCanuck said:

Ah, its the old, you can't drive because you have no experience excuse, so we're all going to have to ride the markstrom bus.

Its a no brainer. Down 2-1, in the series, shut out 2 of 3 games. You put your back up in, over the goalie who has had 10+ 30 save games and won 2 rounds and potentially go down 3-1 in the series? If anything I might have said start Demko for game 1. Certainly not a pivotal game 4. Vancouver had 2 days of rest, Marky should be fine for a back to back. When you lead in a series, you have the luxury of taking a chance on the backup for a game. When you trail, you go with your #1s all the way

10 hours ago, Drakrami said:

you could say that, but hes also letting 20 years old Hughes log 22 minutes a game. For 10 years, all the coaches went with was Edler for all situations. 

To be fair, for those 10 years, they didn't have a Hughes to deploy.

• Upvote 1

The typical I don't agree with you, so you must be doing your job wrong. If Green played Demko and loss still, surely another post would suggest why did we play our back up in a situation where you need your number one. Green did his job as a coach and went with what he believed to be the best option to win.

I don't like the title because we can't speak for Green on what he's afraid/not afraid to do.

Marky's the type of goaltender you leave in until he falters...he's ultra competitive and can be the series difference maker.  

I'm ok with Demko going in this game...I would not have expected him to play last game.

• Cheers 1

Go with your best and who has brought you this far.  Also, it will add some incentive as he and his agent are trying to see what the Canucks are willing to offer on a new contract.  I would put MacEwen into the line up and the first time Reaves or McNabb touch one of our players after the whistle sic him on them.  As long as no one is answering the bell they will continue to 'bully' our top players.  I would rather see us go down swinging instead of limping off like a rag doll.

5 minutes ago, Tyndall2 said:

Go with your best and who has brought you this far.  Also, it will add some incentive as he and his agent are trying to see what the Canucks are willing to offer on a new contract.  I would put MacEwen into the line up and the first time Reaves or McNabb touch one of our players after the whistle sic him on them.  As long as no one is answering the bell they will continue to 'bully' our top players.  I would rather see us go down swinging instead of limping off like a rag doll.

I think you do the opposite...when Reaves goes after our guys, we go after one of their other guys (not Reaves).  So he's responsible for that.  

Gino once told a story where, during a game, Pavel came to him on the bench and told him to knock it off...he'd been playing tough all game and going after their guys.  Gino asked why and Pavel said because they told  him they were coming for him if Gino kept it up.

5 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

I think you do the opposite...when Reaves goes after our guys, we go after one of their other guys (not Reaves).  So he's responsible for that.  

Gino once told a story where, during a game, Pavel came to him on the bench and told him to knock it off...he'd been playing tough all game and going after their guys.  Gino asked why and Pavel said because they told  him they were coming for him if Gino kept it up.

Exactly.

Theodore.  Schmidt.  Targets #1 and 2.

Target #3 Marchessault - who can be agitated to do stupid things.

Targets #4 and 5 - Smith and Karlsson.

That's how you roll.  Forget Reaves.

You act, you don't simply react.  Reacting - allows your opponent to dictate the terms.  Rewrite the terms.  Hit their best players, hit them often, hit them hard.

Edited by oldnews
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

14 hours ago, snucks said:

Green should have rested Markstrum  in game 4. He seems reluctant to put Demko in even when Markstrum is tired or a little off. Its called adapting to game sitautions and its called coaching. But Vigneau wasn't great at adapting to game situations either.

Just because it's now legal doesn't mean you have to partake

14 hours ago, goalie13 said:

Disagree.

Dropping your MVP and undisputed #1 goalie for a guy that has zero NHL playoff experience when the outcome of the game was still not sealed would have been the worst move Green could make.  You DO NOT give up on your #1 like that.

It's called coaching and Green did it right.

Didn't Pittsburgh dump cup winning Fleury in favour or Rookie G Murray? Either way, I would love Demko to play and stand on his head...leaving a lasting impression on the GM to say hey man, I can be a #1 ride with me with your young core not retain a G over 30yr of age for multiple years

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Playing a cold Demko, who struggled down the stretch, in a must-win game is not a good solution.  Markstrom had gotten some extra rest due the game being postponed; Greener made the right call. If Demko had gone in and gotten shelled, Green would be getting crucified on here.

We are underdogs in this series for a reason; just because we are losing does not mean Green is a bad coach.  He's done a hell of a job making adjustments in the playoffs with an inexperienced group.

That collapsing away from puck carriers up the entire ice is not a hell of an adjustment.

• Wat 1