The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Green is afraid to use the backup goalie

Rate this topic

snucks

Nobody could've predicted Marky would have that bad of a game. With no travel and all this time off it's tough to say he's tired. Just had a bad game.

If anything Green is too afraid to play some of the kids. Big Mac and Juolevi probably could/should be playing. Roussel is garbo and Fanta kinda just hits. Nothing really special outside of that. It's not throwing Juolevi to the fire when he'd be playing behind Edler and Hughes. Both of which are logging big minutes. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Nobody could've predicted Marky would have that bad of a game. With no travel and all this time off it's tough to say he's tired. Just had a bad game.

If anything Green is too afraid to play some of the kids. Big Mac and Juolevi probably could/should be playing. Roussel is garbo and Fanta kinda just hits. Nothing really special outside of that. It's not throwing Juolevi to the fire when he'd be playing behind Edler and Hughes. Both of which are logging big minutes. 

Good news is that OJ looks like he is with the big team forever. No bust!

15 minutes ago, xereau said:

Good news is that OJ looks like he is with the big team forever. No bust!

The smart fan knew it was way too soon to call Juolevi a bust. He may suffer from the same problem Jake does, obviously not quite to the extent Jake does, of not playing to that top 5 draft pick level. But it was clear Juolevi has NHL talent, just set back by injuries. I think he should be playing to keep developing. Fanta is a depth guy, like Biega.

Tonight he should start Markstrom.  He's had a day of rest. As long as he is healthy.

But that doesn't mean Green didn't screw up. He definatley was afraid to play Demko on one of the back to backs. That was a big mistake, in hindsight.  I was calling for him to  have played Demko on Saturday already. Given Marky one more day of rest, plus, if we lost (which we did anyways) We'd be down only 2-1, with a very rested Marky to backstop us on Sunday. He would have been fresher to help us tie it up.

And big picture...I know it ain't over til its over, and we may still win the whole enchilada this season......but testing Demko, giving him experience plus allowing management to see just how clutch Demko could be in a playoff game, despite the risk to the series, would have been valuable in how they access goalie signings.

18 hours ago, Where's Wellwood said:

This is what happens most of the time, but it's not absolute.

The Avs started their third string today in an elimination game and they jumped out to a 5-0 lead

The latest turn on Colorado’s goaltender carousel, once again, kept the Avs afloat. With Philipp Grubauer and Pavel Francouz both listed “unfit to play,” Hutchinson made 31 saves in a 6-3 victory to force Game 6 on Wednesday in the Edmonton bubble.

https://www.denverpost.com/2020/09/01/michael-hutchinson-avalanche-goalies-playoffs-francouz-stars/

Green would have been blamed for the loss whoever he started.

He made a call. And it’s the one 95% of NHL coaches would’ve made, under the same circumstances. Markstrom said he was ready to play, and Green went with his MVP starting netminder.

Had he sat Marky and started Demko, and lost, the PGT would have been a roast fest saying that Green blew it, went with the cold goalie who’s barely played, and sat the guy who’s carried us this far.

And even if he’d started Demko, and won, Green would’ve probably gotten zero credit for making a bold decision that paid off. 

Just another day in the life of an NHL coach in a city with a rabid fan base.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

On 8/31/2020 at 8:39 PM, drummerboy said:

MarkstrUm wasn’t the only issue.  
Also, a MarkstrUm at 80% is better than a Demko who hasn’t seen a game in months. 

looks like Demko is better than 80% Markstrom Demko is 1-0 with a .87gaa .979 sv% vs vegas compared to Markstrom 3-10-1 4.21gaa under .880 sv%. i mean demko gotta start game 6 if markstrom is anything but 100%?

7 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

looks like Demko is better than 80% Markstrom Demko is 1-0 with a .87gaa .979 sv% vs vegas compared to Markstrom 3-10-1 4.21gaa under .880 sv%. i mean demko gotta start game 6 if markstrom is anything but 100%?

Markstrom is at 0%.  He wasnt dressed tonight. 

1 minute ago, drummerboy said:

Are you daft?   Have you not been watching the series?

it would have been over days ago if not for Markstrom.  

last i check days ago he lost 2 games back to back and wasn't great in game 4 i mean the team didn't play great but they had a lead going into the 3rd and if there was a time in this series to steal a period that would be it instead of 2-2 we down 3-1. Pettersson and Toffoli played a much bigger role prolonging the series prior to this game than Markstom 

4 hours ago, Dano.Canuck said:

What ya think now Dummerboy? 

Same as before.  
Markstrom at 80 is better than Demko not playing for months.   
Seeing as Marky didn’t dress, obviously Demko is better than Markstrom at 0%.  Lol

Demko had a great game.  I’m happy for him!

Here's the thing...the coach has inside info we don't have.  Stuff about how players are feeling, the mental attitude as well as physical shape, how guys are gelling on the bench and an awareness to not disrupt things, who's "leading" the charge both on and off ice, tweaks that maybe aren't "injuries" but reveal themselves to be issues (that only can be determined THROUGH playing).

I feel that most coaches strike while the iron's hot.  Especially with a goaltender like Marky who, when he's on, can carry the team.  He's won so many games for us when we probably didn't deserve the win and when they're critical games, there's confidence in that.  Marky's been phenomenal at times when he's been under pressure and has outside distractions.  His mental game is strong and that matters when you're in the playoffs against a team that can really bring a lot of pressure.  Plus...Demko coming in after a loss sort of eases some of the pressure in being inserted during a downward trend.  If it continues, he didn't set that off but if he wins (like he did) it can be a real confidence boost.  

I don't think Green's "afraid" of anything.  I feel he is in the driver's seat for a reason and trust his decisions.  Seems this team is staying in the fight so he must know something.

• 3 weeks later...

This is the reason why I'm not keen on Travis Green. Even with our run I truly believe he will not get us the cup. Sitting on 1 goal leads are a recipe for disaster anytime of the season let alone the playoffs

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vancouverisawesome.com/amp/canucks-hockey/red-flag-when-up-by-one-the-canucks-gave-up-more-chances-than-any-other-nhl-team-2725906

1 hour ago, Brock Botanen said:

This is the reason why I'm not keen on Travis Green. Even with our run I truly believe he will not get us the cup. Sitting on 1 goal leads are a recipe for disaster anytime of the season let alone the playoffs

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vancouverisawesome.com/amp/canucks-hockey/red-flag-when-up-by-one-the-canucks-gave-up-more-chances-than-any-other-nhl-team-2725906

I believe it’s down to personnel rather than Green. 

the defence isn’t trusted as a unit to hold the lead, so requires team D which means offensive options get sacrificed.

look at how we played with Demko in net for those games, really collapsed D sweeping every rebound out and giving clear lines for Demko. It gave him the best chance to perform (which he did) but it sacrificed our ability to breakout and to score in those three games. 

I think once the D corp has had an overhaul (whether through trades or promotion from within) and it can be trusted more (ie you can play a little looser as you know the D will be able to cover it) the I would expect them to not sit on the one goal lead, but push for 2 or 3. 

ie we play to win as opposed to playing not to lose