• Golden Knights in 5
    • Golden Knights in 6
    • Golden Knights in 7
    • Stars in 4
    • Stars in 5
    • Stars in 6
    • Stars in 7

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/09/2020 at 12:00 AM

8 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Agreed, it does help having two top-4 units who are basically the same. Obviously Heiskanen is the equivalent to our Hughes (if not arguably better offensively and defensively) but we do lack someone like Klingberg. 

That's where someone like Rafferty or Juolevi could really impact this defence, but we don't want to get too carried away with offence. Edler and Myers have really taken a step back offensively and skating-wise, but it'd be nice to throw one of the kids up in the mix if they can handle 20 minutes in a year or two's time.

I'm fully expecting Juolevi to get every opportunity to make the team, he'd really have to blow it to end up back with the Comets I think. Rafferty could be a wildcard, he can clearly play at the AHL level. 

But yeah, we're def going to need someone to step in and take on those minutes in a couple years. Edler's got big shoes to fill, even having slowed down it's impressive what he's capable of at his age.

2 hours ago, iinatcc said:

Speaking of Miro Heiskanen why did people consider his draft year as a weak year?

It's only been 3 years and Miro Heiskanen, Cale Makar, and Elias Petterson are already star players and Nick Suzuki looks like he could be one too. Add that Nico Hischer looks like he's going to be a very good Top 6 center. Robert Thomas and Kailer Yamamoto also shows a lot of promise.  

I think it's because, at the time of the draft, there was that "Superstar" quality top 3 that was lacking. like you said, clearly EP Miro and Makar have filled that up so it's turning out to be one of the better drafts in recent years. 

5 hours ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Starting a season 1-7-2 and having your GM and owner saying that your 2 star players aren't winners must have something to do with that.

Last year St Louis was the last place team halfway through the season. Buffalo was celebrating their potential top 4 pick and St Louis was considering a firesale. We all know what happened there.

There's a reason why Dallas was in the top 4 team in the West and could skip the qualifying round despite that start they had.

Not a big Stars fan,

But, I am a big Rick Bowness fan.

It's great to see him rewarded, happy for him

Bowness, a hockey lifer who played for the Atlanta Flames in 1975-76, is in his 31st season as a NHL coach. In 2017, he worked his 2,165th game, breaking the legendary Scotty Bowman’s all-time mark for most games behind a NHL bench as either a head coach, associate or assistant.

Unless he has missed one or two since, by our calculations Bowness has now coached 2,425 games. The record seems as untouchable as Wayne Gretzky’s 2,857 points — which is 936 more Jaromir Jagr compiled as No. 2 on the list — especially when Bowness looks like he could go for another 10 years.

Just how incredulous his run to date has been was understated by our friend Stephen Whyno, the Associated Press hockey writer, who also happens to be the fastest transcriber of taped interviews you will ever find: Of the 24 teams that qualified for the post-pandemic play-ins and play-offs, Bowness has coached 65 players, at least one on 18 of the teams, plus two other head coaches, three GMs and seven players’ dads.

Also somewhat incredible is that Bowness has only made it to the finals twice: As Alain Vigneault’s associate with the Vancouver 

Canucks, who dropped Game 7 to the Boston Bruins in 2011, and as Cooper’s right-hand man when they lost to the Chicago

Blackhawks in six games.

“The two biggest disappointments of my life, by far,” Bowness told NHL.com three years ago. “They still eat away at me.”

https://ottawasun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/cracks-of-don-jump-on-the-bowness-bandwagon-he-deserves-your-support/wcm/62ffaa34-911b-40cd-a055-a6f100787806/

Edited by Mackcanuck
  • Vintage 1

40 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Last year St Louis was the last place team halfway through the season. Buffalo was celebrating their potential top 4 pick and St Louis was considering a firesale. We all know what happened there.

There's a reason why Dallas was in the top 4 team in the West and could skip the qualifying round despite that start they had.

St Louis, much like 2012 LA are not prototypical miracle teams. They are powerhouses that ran into injuries and bad luck, and figured it out on time, and went into the playoffs the hottest team in the league. I'm well aware that Dallas were favorites at the beginning of the year. At the 20 game mark, their GM came out and said some flagrant things about both star players. They were considered as a wash for the rest of the season because of that. I don't necessarily agree with it, but I was responding to someone who wondered why Dallas was so underestimated. That is the reason. They aren't winners.

HOWEVER, after a piss poor performance in the round robin and against calgary, they've managed to figure it out and are now in the SC final. They'll get rocked by Tampa, but it should be a good series nonetheless. I personally don't see it going over 5 games though. They can consider their season a success for sure.

19 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

St Louis, much like 2012 LA are not prototypical miracle teams. They are powerhouses that ran into injuries and bad luck, and figured it out on time, and went into the playoffs the hottest team in the league. I'm well aware that Dallas were favorites at the beginning of the year. At the 20 game mark, their GM came out and said some flagrant things about both star players. They were considered as a wash for the rest of the season because of that. I don't necessarily agree with it, but I was responding to someone who wondered why Dallas was so underestimated. That is the reason. They aren't winners.

HOWEVER, after a piss poor performance in the round robin and against calgary, they've managed to figure it out and are now in the SC final. They'll get rocked by Tampa, but it should be a good series nonetheless. I personally don't see it going over 5 games though. They can consider their season a success for sure.

Wasn't it ownership that said something about their star players? Perhaps what he said lit a fire in them?

Well I'm sure they would love to continue this route of being underestimated. I believe it's the east that will have to travel to Edmonton for the finals, one less worry/thing to do for Dallas and a day extra break if TB closes the series tonight.

12 hours ago, BlueDragon23 said:

I’m very happy to see the Knights go home. Super entitled, arrogant, whiney little pricks that always underestimated their opponents, first us, and then Dallas. They thought they would cake walk to the end, but it doesn’t work that way in the playoffs! 

I take a lot of satisfaction that De Boer mentioned Demko and the Canucks rattled their confidence before going against the Stars. Take in the small victories.

Best of luck to the Stars, but I’m predicting Tampa likely wins the Cup this year.

I swear, if there is even a 1 day break between game 6 & 7, the Canucks skater would have enough rest and we could pull of another 1-0 or 2-0 upset game in game 7 and we would've been in the final 4.

• Like 1

I am an avid Canucks fan but not an avid hockey fan.

With 2 kids, it's hard to find time to watch sports other than the Canucks.

What happened in the Stars Knights series?

How the hell did they win 4-1?

The Canucks played a defensive style and got shelled every game where all we could manage to do was get the puck out of our zone only to defend again.

I know we have a great team that's up and coming but after seeing us treading water for 7 games to finally lose, I thought, Vegas would roll over Dallas.

I saw the shot count pretty much even in the series.  Nothing like the 2-1 shot count domination in our series.

Were the Knights tired from our round or did Dallas have a different game plan?

What was the difference / keys to their success?  I feel like we have a better team than Dallas?

I feel like we have good team speed, decent size etc but Vegas was literally faster abd bigger than us. Many times, all the defender could do was protect themselves on the endboards on puck retrieval and just try their best to flp it out with no counterattack or breakout to even think about.

How did Dallas escape the forecheck?

16 hours ago, theo5789 said:

Wasn't it ownership that said something about their star players? Perhaps what he said lit a fire in them?

Well I'm sure they would love to continue this route of being underestimated. I believe it's the east that will have to travel to Edmonton for the finals, one less worry/thing to do for Dallas and a day extra break if TB closes the series tonight.

It 100% could have been ownership, I'm not going to claim that I remember that incident perfectly. Either way i don't think they're winners, although I'm glad all those vets get a kick at the can after 20 years. Tampa will make quick work of them