The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Let's Roll With The Kid

Rate this topic

Nuxfanabroad

I was just about to open a thread on this. 

I’m actually debating on trading Demko for a nice haul. His value has skyrocketed. He played 3 straight high pressure elimination games and literally stood in his head. Everyone in hockey noticed that.

We can explore trades like Demko and LE for a 1st and a high level prospect or a top 4 defenceman. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, grandmaster said:

I was just about to open a thread on this. 

I’m actually debating on trading Demko for a nice haul. His value has skyrocketed. He played 3 straight high pressure elimination games and literally stood in his head. Everyone in hockey noticed that.

We can explore trades like Demko and LE for a 1st and a high level prospect or a top 4 defenceman. 

It's another option, but I wouldn't after what we just witnessed.

You might be selling off Hasek(without the quirks), as he's stepping onto the Yellow freeken'Brick Rd. At this pt savour the typhoon/twister, thanking the puckGawds you concussed yer noggin' & roll with this kid!

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

It's another option, but I wouldn't after what we just witnessed.

You might be selling off Hasek(without the quirks), as he's stepping onto the Yellow freeken'Brick Rd. At this pt savour the typhoon/twister, thanking the puckGawds you concussed yer noggin' & roll with this kid!

If we want to rid ourselves of that albatross Louie freaking Eriksson, Demko is our best bet and we can capitalize all this new attention for a + and maybe another +

I have no faith in goalies these days. They can have all the skill and reputation and then flop on you at any time. Hello Florida...

• Wat 2

I never did understand why they would expose  the young guy while re-signing the older player ,JM s play wasn't to shabby either ,he walks they get nothing for him, and the money JM  is going to want , they wont have to shell out equivalent paper for demko for a Cpl of  seasons demko's the keeper any way you look ay it.

If we want to rid ourselves of that albatross Louie freaking Eriksson, Demko is our best bet and we can capitalize all this new attention for a + and maybe another +

I have no faith in goalies these days. They can have all the skill and reputation and then flop on you at any time. Hello Florida...

In order to build a champion we need faith in something.

I'd go with skill, speed, size & youth. Many of these elements we already have, in spades. Over the next 18-24 mos we can blend the finishing touches in.

Therefore I wouldn't dump young assets/picks to rush this. Two yrs flies by, & by then we're experienced, primed & ready.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Paying Demko just to unload Eriksson is about the worst move we could make IMO. Losing value in a trade for Demko is not an option. We trade him it better be for a legit young D man coming back.

Id rather just keep Eriksson and Demko for the same cap hit it would likely cost us to re-sign Markstrom.

• Cheers 4

Just now, DeNiro said:

Paying Demko just to unload Eriksson is about the worst move we could make IMO. Losing value in a trade for Demko is not an option. We trade him it better be for a legit young D man coming back.

Id rather just keep Eriksson and Demko for the same cap hit it would likely cost us to re-sign Markstrom.

That’s not what I said and I assume you meant to say trading no paying in the beginning of your response.

If we trade Demko, he comes with LE AND we get a top 4 D man or a 1st with a high level prospect.

3 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

That’s not what I said and I assume you meant to say trading no paying in the beginning of your response.

If we trade Demko, he comes with LE AND we get a top 4 D man or a 1st with a high level prospect.

Why would we trade Demko? Markstrom is a UFA let him walk. You don't trade a young carey price to make run for aging goalie who has maybe 4 years left and has only just recently established himself as a starter and he now had 2 injuries in the last 6 months which may be related. 

Markstrom should be on his way out and if JB ships out Demko to keep Markstrom he should be fired.

7 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

In order to build a champion we need faith in something.

I'd go with skill, speed, size & youth. Many of these elements we already have, in spades. Over the next 18-24 mos we can blend the finishing touches in.

Therefore I wouldn't dump young assets/picks to rush this. Two yrs flies by, & by then we're experienced, primed & ready.

You do realize we have a Cap problem right? If we can land a first and high level prospect or a top 4 defenceman, this is a no brainer in my opinion. The cherry on top is LE will be gone.

1 minute ago, peaches5 said:

Why would we trade Demko? Markstrom is a UFA let him walk. You don't trade a young carey price to make run for aging goalie who has maybe 4 years left and has only just recently established himself as a starter and he now had 2 injuries in the last 6 months which may be related. 

Markstrom should be on his way out and if JB ships out Demko to keep Markstrom he should be fired.

Read my comments I just made above. It’s well explained

Just now, grandmaster said:

You do realize we have a Cap problem right? If we can land a first and high level prospect or a top 4 defenceman, this is a no brainer in my opinion. The cherry on top is LE will be gone.

We don't have a cap problem at all if Markstrom is gone.. In fact we could easily ice the same lineup next year and not have any issues at all. What cap problem?

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

If we’re unloading a contract in a deal it means we’re getting less in return than we could have. That’s a bad idea like I said.

Straight up a Demko trade might net you those pieces but with the going rate for unloading bad contracts there’s no way adding Eriksson gets you anywhere close.

Keep Demko and send Eriksson to the minors and you’re looking at a cap hit of 6 mil and Eriksson will be gone by the end of next season after riding busses in Utica.

Edited by DeNiro

Just now, DeNiro said:

If we’re unloading a contract in a deal it means we’re getting less in return than we could have. That’s a bad idea like I said.

Straight up a Demko trade might net you those pieces but with the going rate for unloading bad contracts there’s no way adding Eriksson gets you anywhere close.

Keep Demko and send Eriksson to the minors and you’re looking at a cap hit of 6 mil and Eriksson will be gone be the end of next season after riding busses in Utica.

Cap floor teams who are strapped for cash would not mind LE as much as you think. Some owners are struggling and will have problems paying payroll and LE’s real money is low at this point, like a couple mill a year or something 

Read my comments I just made above. It’s well explained

I read what you said and you are trading Demko and Eriksson for a top 4 dman? Um what? Or a first round pick and prospect? what? Why would you do that.. There is no reason at all to trade a guy who looks like he just might be the next big goalie in the NHL.. this is just pure stupidity to develop a young goalie and then ship him off for picks and prospects.. or a top 4 dman.. 

2 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Don't see that "problem" as traumatic as many have made it out to be. Compared with many other orgs, would see it more as a short-term inconvenience.

Also think there are many ways to skin that cap.

• Cheers 1

Cap floor teams who are strapped for cash would not mind LE as much as you think. Some owners are struggling and will have problems paying payroll and LE’s real money is low at this point, like a couple mill a year or something 

The going rate is still a first.

We’re not the ones with leverage in an Eriksson trade regardless of his salary and teams know it.

Just now, peaches5 said:

I read what you said and you are trading Demko and Eriksson for a top 4 dman? Um what? Or a first round pick and prospect? what? Why would you do that.. There is no reason at all to trade a guy who looks like he just might be the next big goalie in the NHL.. this is just pure stupidity to develop a young goalie and then ship him off for picks and prospects.. or a top 4 dman.. 

1) our defence needs one more top 4 to be a true contender 

2) JB needs to figure out the salary cap

3) if we go with a first and a prospect, I said HIGH level prospect, not some shmuck 

There are literally like 25 teams that would like to dump a bad contract and LE is the top of the list for most useless players for what he gets paid and there is no way some team is just going to take him... There are like 2-3 teams that can take him on and he has NTC so he very unlikely to go to any of those teams.. maybe Colorado would take him if we traded them Demko for Byram or something but that would just be handing colorado cups and making them a dynasty.

1) our defence needs one more top 4 to be a true contender 

2) JB needs to figure out the salary cap

3) if we go with a first and a prospect, I said HIGH level prospect, not some shmuck 

The first is cancelled out in an Eriksson trade. That’s the cost of unloading that contract.

Therefore you got a high level prospect (maybe) that may or may not pan out.