The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Let's Roll With The Kid

Rate this topic

Nuxfanabroad

21 hours ago, grandmaster said:

I don’t know man. Demko ad is out and everyone saw it and was impressed. I think his going rate now is far more than that. I’m just saying it should be explored. People need to relax

It was 3 games. Yes , big games , but still three games. Teams are not going to necessarily go "all in" with that sample size and assume he is the next Patrick Roy.  

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, cuporbust said:

It was 3 games. Yes , big games , but still three games. Teams are not going to necessarily go "all in" with that sample size and assume he is the next Patrick Roy.  

Demko has more value to us than he’ll ever get back in a trade.

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

As mentioned, Demko passed this test with flying V colours. 3 games with the season on the line. Obviously over-matched, with NO margin of error, as the team couldn't even handle getting down a goal. Prob never been a young 'tender (league history) to have aced a pressure test to such degree. Hasek would've been patting himself on the back.

On Jacob. Again, he was a part of the Trev Linden haul('98 trade bringing in Bert, then Lu, then Jacob..with even more pieces from the original NYI return). This was extraordinary. As much as we hated Keenan, this deal fleecing Milbury led to milking an asset for a BONUS two decades! I was hoping we might turn JM into a pick one day, & Trev's karma would turn that into another star. But 32 yrs ain't too shabby.

Hell, JM could've been waiver-nabbed a long ways back, & none of us would have even realized what was squandered. So now feel we ought to appreciate ALL we received from a brilliant 1988 choice, & simply move forwards with the young star.

As he deserves, Jacob should get a monster contract when he signs. & it'll likely be a top team(perhaps Avs or Canes?)

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, TheFirstLine said:

Who has been the better goalie OVERALL this season? Markstrom or Demko? Markstrom is our guy. People tend to forget that he is a leader on the team as well.

A decent case can be made for either talented 'tender, but next yr we could roll with the kid for only 1 million smackers! That's bang for the (Nuck) Buck.

• Cheers 2

I wonder how many here will start the Fire Green and Fire Benning bon fires again, should he let Marky go and Demko doesn't continue this level of play,

but becomes human again and goes back to the level of play shown prior to his 3 play offs games?

Just not sure 3 outstanding games is enough to build the next part on this franchise on... If he can maintain close to his play off level, its a no brainer, but we still need a decent back up, and how much will that cost (Miller 6mill)... 

Think we'd do better sign Marky with no (or limited clauses, so he can be exposed in the expansion). Keep both for the start of the season, lets see Demko play more games and take it from there...

I'd say key is being able to expose Marky at the expansion draft.

Although I think, Markys camp can see the writing is on the wall as well, and may go for max dollars...what ever that may be. Why take a discount if you may get traded...

This could be another controversy that will split the fan base in to love Benning / Fire Benning... 

Edited by spook007
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, spook007 said:

I wonder how many here will start the Fire Green and Fire Benning bon fires again, should he let Marky go and Demko doesn't continue this level of play,

but becomes human again and goes back to the level of play shown prior to his 3 play offs games?

Just not sure 3 outstanding games is enough to build the next part on this franchise on... If he can maintain close to his play off level, its a no brainer, but we still need a decent back up, and how much will that cost (Miller 6mill)... 

Think we'd do better sign Marky with no (or limited clauses, so he can be exposed in the expansion). Keep both for the start of the season, lets see Demko play more games and take it from there...

Although I think, Markys camp can see the writing is on the wall as well, and may go for max dollars...what ever that may be. Why take a discount if you may get traded...

This could be another controversy that will split the fan base in to love Benning / Fire Benning... 

Agreed with you SP7. I've been posting on the assumption that JM will(deservedly) want no uncertain, ambiguous terms. Also assume JB will want to preemptively nip a Lu/Cory scenario,  in the bud.

If JM is such a swell sport he will accept reasonable term/$ with no special clauses..well then Hell yeah! Keep'em both 'til later.

Edited by Nuxfanabroad
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Agreed with you SP7. I've been posting on the assumption that JM will(deservedly) want no uncertain, ambiguous terms. Also assume JB will want to preemptively nip a Lu/Cory scenario,  in the bud.

If JM is such a swell sport he will accept reasonable term/$ with no special clauses..well then Hell yeah! Keep'em both 'til later.

Yes Nux, I think you are right though in your assumptions.... If Marky wants certainty it will be a tough one... JB may nip it in the bud to avoid the same garbage we had to endure with Lu/Schneids... In that case I think it may come down to, how much either can fetch v cap.

It will be very interesting to see how JB navigates through these potentially stormy waters.

• Vintage 1

12 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Honestly, my hope is that a team like Edmonton or Calgary grossly overpays Markstrom and shoots themselves in the foot cap wise (a la Florida with Bobrovsky).

On 9/5/2020 at 5:37 PM, Nuxfanabroad said:

Making this short & sweet. Let's go with TD. I've never seen such cool-headed 'tending under such conditions, in almost 5 decades of watching the game.

I'm talking exhibiting skill, athletic-prowess, incredible reflexes, textbook-technique, nerves of steel, & the stamina to display it all under the duress of 3(utterly dominated) games in 4 days.

This was the ultimate baptism-by-fire(ing-squad).

Sign him now to 3 or 4 yrs x 5 mill.

Allow Jacob to go get 40, 50 mill on the open market(which I'm sure he will). It's time the org says goodbye to the 32 yr run of the incredible Trev Linden 1988 selection. Has there ever been better return on 1 1st rounder?(debatable I s'pose)

Put the $ where the mouth is. If you agree we run with Thatcher(go on record) & give'er a plus.

Just to keep it going sign and trade ha ha. 

• Wat 1
  • Vintage 1

On 9/7/2020 at 3:46 AM, spook007 said:

Good point.    Think from if we take him at his word it will be a sign Markstrom and go with both guys again next year/playoffs.     Hard to find a better tandem (well MTL probably but ouch what a “price” tag ha ha).    Sure JB won’t give him a NMC without quite a discount which is a win win.   Remember BB was getting at least 7-8 last year and awhile before that Horvat 5.5-6 ish if you believed the CDC.    So far his second contracts have all been fair and clause free - this will be his first third so not sure how that will go.   Don’t see a need to overpay at all.   Lehner will also be available same with Holtby and most have Markstrom as the third best of the bunch.     For me his knees are more concerning then his age.   JB says he would have been ready for the next round which I guess is encouraging.... 

Either way what a great problem to have!! Much better then hmmm...should we go with Skudra or Cloutier? 

• Cheers 1

On 9/6/2020 at 8:51 PM, Nuxfanabroad said:

A decent case can be made for either talented 'tender, but next yr we could roll with the kid for only 1 million smackers! That's bang for the (Nuck) Buck.

I’d do this.   And sign a Griess/Talbot to split the time.   For those that think we will be trading Demko if we sign JM think again.   We won’t have cap to do that next year (have a 3 million capable back-up).   I think JM will get signed and then exposed and or traded after the season is up and that’s JBs plan if Demko takes steps this season. 

• Cheers 1

On 9/6/2020 at 4:29 PM, TheFirstLine said:

Who has been the better goalie OVERALL this season? Markstrom or Demko? Markstrom is our guy. People tend to forget that he is a leader on the team as well.

IMO, I don't believe it's disrespecting Marky.

He is a huge part of the leadership group. 

But if it costs Demko, unless Markstrom signs a deal where he can be exposed, then you have to move on. 

If Markstrom decides to sign with us for a little raise, sure, sign him up.  I agree that it's time for young players to get some of the 4th role as soon as the veterans' contract is up or through trades.  We still need some of the veterans presence in the locker room but I also think that our young players will be a veterans a few seasons.  We are in a middle ready but not completely ready yet.  There is still a missing ingredients in the line-up that keeps us in the end zone defending too much and lack of offense in the playoffs is not the recipe of success.   We still need puck moving defencemen so we might have that in OJ and Rafferty and possibly Rathbone.  We also need a Tanev but is he really the answer?  I mean, we still get hemmed in the zone with Tanev and Hughes when we were unable to break out at ease.  We still need Tanev for PK and shutdown role.  Is he really worth the price when there might be better options out there for cheap and still keep Toffoli in the line-up?

Not sure why you'd sign a 30 year old goalie long term who only has a few good years left when you've got Demko at 24 just about to start getting good and could have a decade of solid goaltending in him.

This isn't the same as the Lack/Schneider/Luongo fiascos, this is simply out with the old and in with the new, with a 1 year transition where they both play 40 games.

Demko is ready for 50 games the year after the ED, we just have to go out and sign a solid backup for him. 

If we sign Marky to a 5 year deal or something silly like that we're going to end up with a 5M backup in 2-3 years time. Yes, he's great now, but we need to start looking forward and this future core revolves around Petey, Hughes, Bo, Brock and Demko.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

I don't think everyone would be sharing this same expectations over Demko back before the season ended when we were falling from a playoff spot while Demko wasn't playing well, filling in as a starter while Marky was hurt.

He played 3 great games in the bubble but he still has a ton to prove.

Even if we lose Marky we still need a veteran goalie short term to help carry the load in a 1A/1B situation. A Markstrom/Ryan Miller type of deal. This was Demko's first year as an NHL backup, don't let that slip your mind.

• Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, Law of Goalies said:

I still don't understand how people believe Marky will accept a contract with no expansion protection. If I was him and since I am 30, I will (deserving) ask for a higher amount with a longer period with expansion protection.

To clarify in case my above post left uncertainty, I mean bid Jacob farewell, & the best of luck, etc... I'm sure he'll get very well compensated(Flames, Avs, Canes?..some team), despite economic uncertainties, based on his past couple yrs' work.

1 minute ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

To clarify in case my above post left uncertainty, I mean bid Jacob farewell, & the best of luck, etc... I'm sure he'll get very well compensated(Flames, Avs, Canes?..some team), despite economic uncertainties, based on his past couple yrs' work.

Sorry man..I wasn't specifically targeting you. I was reading through the first few pages and people were saying the likes of "It is easy to keep both, just sign Mark to 3-4 years with no expansion protection and have no "NTC/NMC", it will be fine. I mean it is quite impossible to think he will agree to that.

• Cheers 1