The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why I’m excited to see what Benning can do for the Canucks going forward

Rate this topic

CallAfterLife

3 hours ago, CallAfterLife said:

in 2006 he became the assistant GM for Boston. Ryan Miller, Jason Pominville, Dennis Wideman, Clarke MacArthur, Andrej Sekera, Milan Lucic, and Brad Marchand were all picked outside the first round under Benning’s tenure.

Not exactly true. Lucic and Marchand were drafted in June, 2006. Phil Kessel was also drafted by Boston that year. Benning was hired as Director of Player Personnel on July 25, 2006, or a month AFTER the draft. Here are the players Boston drafted under Benning's watch, with NHL players in capitals:

2007 - Zach Hamill, Tommy Cross, Denis Reul, Alain Goulet, Radim Ostrcil, Jordan Knackstedt

2008 - Joe Colborne, Maxime Sauve, Michael Hutchinson, Jamie Ariel, Nicolas Tremblay, Mark Goggin

2009 - Jordan Caron, Ryan Button, Lane McDermid, Tyler Randell, Ben Sexton

2010 - TYLER SEGUIN, Jared Knight, RYAN SPOONER (no longer an NHLer), Craig Cunningham, Justin Florek, Zane McIntyre, Maxim Chudinov, Zach Trotman

2011 - DOUGIE HAMILTON,  Alexander Khokhlachev,  Anthony Camara, Brian Ferlin, Rob O’Gara, Lars Volden

2012 -MALCOLM SUBBAN, MATT GRZELCYK, Seth Griffith, Cody Payne, MATT BENNING, Colton Hargrove

2013 - Linus Arnesson, Peter Charlie, Ryan Fitzgerald, Wiley Sherman, Anton Blidh, Mitchell Dempsey

43 players drafted, one star forward (Seguin) and one star defenceman (Hamilton) playing, with two NHL defencemen (Grzelcyk) and (Benning) and a backup goalie (Subban). 

While Benning has drafted very well since coming to Vancouver, his reputation as a draft wizard prior to coming here was a little overblown.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

5 hours ago, CallAfterLife said:

I’ve noticed that a lot of people on these boards are worried about the salary cap. I agree that the situation isn’t ideal. Numerous players have been paid too much money, young players will be demanding raises and difficult decisions will have to be made going forward.

I actually think the Canucks could see a regression in the next few years because they won’t be able to afford to keep key pieces this off-season. Despite that I think it’s ridiculous for people to start panicking about wasting Pettersson and Hughes ELC years and Horvat and Boeser’s affordable contract years.

If Benning can continue to have success at the draft, cap space won’t be a problem despite numerous core players signing big money contracts because the cap can be managed internally through ELCs and RFA bridge deals.

Now that Benning has the core pieces in place in Pettersson, Hughes, Horvat etc and a lot prospects with NHL potential in Podkolzin, Hoglander, Lind, Juolevi, Rathbone, Rafferty etc I’m hoping the era of packaging picks for players like Sutter, Gudbranson and even Miller and Toffoli has come to and end.

I’m looking forward to seeing if Benning can draft, develop and deal players to manage the salary cap.

In 1998 Benning became the director of amateur scouting for Buffalo and in 2006 he became the assistant GM for Boston. Ryan Miller, Jason Pominville, Dennis Wideman, Clarke MacArthur, Andrej Sekera, Milan Lucic, and Brad Marchand were all picked outside the first round under Benning’s tenure.

There are a lot of other names that don’t stand out as much but have seemingly had decently long NHL careers as depths players in Benning's tenure as well. 

If Benning can continue to have success at the draft and start to wheel and deal players for assets then the Canucks will be in a good position to succeed over the long term.

Sutter and Gudbranson are definite no's. 

However, if we are in a win now mode then Miller and Toffoli are good investments. 

They're what? 26 and 27 respectively? Still fairly young players.

I personally think the Miller trade was still the best that Benning ever made.

5 hours ago, CallAfterLife said:

I’ve noticed that a lot of people on these boards are worried about the salary cap. I agree that the situation isn’t ideal. Numerous players have been paid too much money, young players will be demanding raises and difficult decisions will have to be made going forward.

I actually think the Canucks could see a regression in the next few years because they won’t be able to afford to keep key pieces this off-season. Despite that I think it’s ridiculous for people to start panicking about wasting Pettersson and Hughes ELC years and Horvat and Boeser’s affordable contract years.

If Benning can continue to have success at the draft, cap space won’t be a problem despite numerous core players signing big money contracts because the cap can be managed internally through ELCs and RFA bridge deals.

Now that Benning has the core pieces in place in Pettersson, Hughes, Horvat etc and a lot prospects with NHL potential in Podkolzin, Hoglander, Lind, Juolevi, Rathbone, Rafferty etc I’m hoping the era of packaging picks for players like Sutter, Gudbranson and even Miller and Toffoli has come to and end.

I’m looking forward to seeing if Benning can draft, develop and deal players to manage the salary cap.

In 1998 Benning became the director of amateur scouting for Buffalo and in 2006 he became the assistant GM for Boston. Ryan Miller, Jason Pominville, Dennis Wideman, Clarke MacArthur, Andrej Sekera, Milan Lucic, and Brad Marchand were all picked outside the first round under Benning’s tenure.

There are a lot of other names that don’t stand out as much but have seemingly had decently long NHL careers as depths players in Benning's tenure as well. 

If Benning can continue to have success at the draft and start to wheel and deal players for assets then the Canucks will be in a good position to succeed over the long term.

I agree pretty much with all you said except I don't see the Canucks regressing in the next few years. If anything we'll be better as our young core of exceptional players... Pettersson, Hughes, Horvat, Boeser... get stronger and gain more experience. Add to that the development of our other young players like Gaudette, MacEwen, Demko. That would more than offset the inexperience of the incoming prospects like Podkolzin, Hoglander, Juolevi, etc. who will take the place of some of the vets who will be gone. That's an impressive group of prospects coming up so who knows, they might surprise us and play at a high level right away much like Boeser, Pettersson, and Hughes did in their first years... especially with the positive influence of our young core. Plus I have faith in Benning to make the right moves via trades and free agency to fix our deficiencies on defence. I believe we'll be looking at a better and better team in the next few years, one that will be contending for the Cup again!

I believe that the UFA period this year starts on October 9.  Wow. that is coming up fast.  Benning is going to be busy as decisions and contracts will all have to be made wrt Markstrom Toffoli Tanev Fanta and Leivo before that date. Plus decisions on some RFA treatments as well - whether to make qualifying offers  or let them walk etc.

Gonna be busy!

I think Toffoli will stay; he sees where this team is going.

I have never wanted to fork out big money for a 30 year old goalie in Markstrom. Id rather put that money towards D 

Leivo is at PTO right now for me. He is coming off a serious knee injury that has taken a long time to heal

Tanev can stay on a 2 year deal. Edler-Tanev were absolute units on D in the playoffs, but canucks gotta make every penny count from here on out with our young core in need of raises soon.

Canucks will one way of another dump Baerschi and maybe Sutter but I dont know if they want too considering hes a big leader on the team.

I know they want to get rid of Eriksson , but that would be an expensive sweetener for someone to take on and I dont know if the canucks have the appetite for that. 

Fantenberg was awesome in the playoffs, but he could make 1.5m somewhere else so I think he walks with Benn still under contract and Juolevi and Rathbone chomping at the bit. 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Curmudgeon said:

Not exactly true. Lucic and Marchand were drafted in June, 2006. Phil Kessel was also drafted by Boston that year. Benning was hired as Director of Player Personnel on July 25, 2006, or a month AFTER the draft. Here are the players Boston drafted under Benning's watch, with NHL players in capitals:

2007 - Zach Hamill, Tommy Cross, Denis Reul, Alain Goulet, Radim Ostrcil, Jordan Knackstedt

2008 - Joe Colborne, Maxime Sauve, Michael Hutchinson, Jamie Ariel, Nicolas Tremblay, Mark Goggin

2009 - Jordan Caron, Ryan Button, Lane McDermid, Tyler Randell, Ben Sexton

2010 - TYLER SEGUIN, Jared Knight, RYAN SPOONER (no longer an NHLer), Craig Cunningham, Justin Florek, Zane McIntyre, Maxim Chudinov, Zach Trotman

2011 - DOUGIE HAMILTON,  Alexander Khokhlachev,  Anthony Camara, Brian Ferlin, Rob O’Gara, Lars Volden

2012 -MALCOLM SUBBAN, MATT GRZELCYK, Seth Griffith, Cody Payne, MATT BENNING, Colton Hargrove

2013 - Linus Arnesson, Peter Charlie, Ryan Fitzgerald, Wiley Sherman, Anton Blidh, Mitchell Dempsey

43 players drafted, one star forward (Seguin) and one star defenceman (Hamilton) playing, with two NHL defencemen (Grzelcyk) and (Benning) and a backup goalie (Subban). 

While Benning has drafted very well since coming to Vancouver, his reputation as a draft wizard prior to coming here was a little overblown.

Oh god. My mistake. Wow. I wonder what happened in Boston. That is an absolutely brutal record and looking back at some of those years, Benning definitely missed a lot of quality NHL players. 

I'll amend my original post. Thanks. 

50 minutes ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

Sutter and Gudbranson are definite no's. 

However, if we are in a win now mode then Miller and Toffoli are good investments. 

They're what? 26 and 27 respectively? Still fairly young players.

I personally think the Miller trade was still the best that Benning ever made.

The point he’s making is Benning brought in players to help us make the playoffs but if we want to be really good for a long time we need to continue to do with what they did in getting a new core but with supporting cast. Drafting and developing. It’s the cap world. We shouldn’t be in a win now mode. Cause if we don’t win a cup in the next 4 years we can’t go through another rebuild. We need to have a long term perspective so that we have chances at a cup for the next 10years 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Yung1 said:

The cap situation still isn't nearly as bad as people are making it out to be. We have the assets to afford to ship out Eriksson or some other dead money. I also don't think it will take as much as people think to move Eriksson or other dead money. We might lose a prospect doing it, but as long as their name isn't Podkolzin, Juolevi, Woo or Hoglander, I think the price is worth paying (Juolevi and woo mostly because were thin on d prospects, not necessarily because elite)

I've proposed before Eriksson + Virtanen and a 2nd probably gets it done if you deal em to a rebuilding squad. That's actually a really nice package for a rebuilding team that isn't concerned about cap for the next couple years. And we save $8m right there.

Imagine what we could get out of Ottawa dealing then Demko, Virtanen and even Eriksson, who only needs to be paid 5 million after his signing bonus. I could also see Dorion liking Roussel as a culture piece, much like when he brought in Burrows a few years back. I can see us trading for their 28th pick, and maybe even an NHL ready centre prospect with bonafide top-line upside, like Logan Brown maybe? 

8 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

The point he’s making is Benning brought in players to help us make the playoffs but if we want to be really good for a long time we need to continue to do with what they did in getting a new core but with supporting cast. Drafting and developing. It’s the cap world. We shouldn’t be in a win now mode. Cause if we don’t win a cup in the next 4 years we can’t go through another rebuild. We need to have a long term perspective so that we have chances at a cup for the next 10years 

Exactly. I don't want to see the Canucks trading picks as freely as they did in the Gillis era as they tried to supplement their core with rental pieces for another run at the Cup. I'd like to see some of those pieces come from within. I want Benning to draft players that could force him to deal anyone up and down the line up in order to upgrade a positional need or to better manage the cap. 

I basically want the Canucks to be in the opposite position they were in 2014 in the Linden Vey trade. I want teams to ask Benning for a Vey equivalent and for Benning to draft a Christian Dvorak equivalent and develop them in order to push out a Pearson equivalent out for more assets. 

If Benning can draft the next Sebastian Aho ... so many possibilities. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

That's fair.

I will say that when the pieces start to come together you need to eventually change into the "win now" mindset. 

We are slowly watching these guys like Hughes, Bo, Petey, Boeser, even Miller as our core coming together and being able to hold their own for the most part.

I do agree that we shouldn't trade our prospects and picks but I think the key to this team is an upgraded and solidified bottom 6. Podkolzin, Lind, Hoglander..etc. could very well fill those roles.

However, you can't wait forever to be in the win now mode.

Once you've established your core and have key prospects in the system coming to bring new life into the supporting roles then its time to go for it.

Look at Chicago, in 2010, they had vets to play the supporting cast roles behind the Toews, Kane, Keith, Seabrook core and eventually got younger players to replace those depth roles in 2013 and 2015. I think it's a good template to try and emulate.

I wonder if we could sell Vancouver as a cup contender to Hall so he signs at a discounted price?

He isn't like the other FA's looking to cash in, he made his money already, i wonder if we can attract him to a team on cusp of a dynasty :emot-parrot:and play for big Canadian market.

Hall - Pettersson - Boeser

Hoglander - Horvat - Miller

pretty nasty looking top 6

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

we need picks in the higher rounds to have a better shot at getting quality future nhl players. No pick till round 3 this year, so very unlikely we see that 3rd round pick be on the team for 3 years minimum.

GM needs to cut some salary this off season, get creative and IMPROVE this team. We can't afford to already be taking steps back, we need to get better each and every year

There have been teams who've had excellent 10 - 15 yr runs, interspersed with the occasional 'off' yr. Keep all picks(going fwds) & we needn't worry about those temporary stumbles.

• Cheers 1

Unfortunately we cannot afford Markstrom @ $6M

We should let Benning and his group including big input from Goalie Whisperer Ian Clark sign a capable backup in the $2M range to play 20-25 games to spell off Demko.

We have a huge advantage over other teams because of Ian Clark, so take advantage of it.

I say get a Goalie that Ian Clark can work his magic with. 

Sell Marky's neg rights for a 3rd and if he signs with them it turns into a 2nd 

Edited by Mackcanuck
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Trebreh said:

I wonder if we could sell Vancouver as a cup contender to Hall so he signs at a discounted price?

He isn't like the other FA's looking to cash in, he made his money already, i wonder if we can attract him to a team on cusp of a dynasty :emot-parrot:and play for big Canadian market.

Hall could improve VAN's Draft lottery chances as well 

I would love to have Hall in the Top 6. He has size and isn't afraid to run other players over. I remember when he demolished Philip Larsen a few years ago. Could've used him against Vegas. Heck, maybe Baertschi could even be a stop gap at #2LW until Hoglander arrives. Baer is cheap.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Notable RFAs I think they'll re-sign:

Motte

Gaudette

MacEwen

Notable UFAs I think they'll re-sign:

Leivo - cheap

Tanev - he'll be reasonable with his contract, his chemistry with Hughes

Fantenberg - cheap, played physical, solid Dman

Domingue - total pro in the bubble and cheap

Toffoli will be let go (too expensive)

Ferland - LTIR

Virtanen, Sutter, Roussel, Benn and Stecher will be traded, somehow

Miller - Pettersson - Boeser

Pearson - Horvat - ??

Leivo - Gaudette - MacEwen

Motte - Beagle - Eriksson

Lind

Edler - Myers

Hughes - Tanev

Fantenberg - Rafferty

Juolevi

We need to trade for #2 D man to play with Hughes...

Tanev ? would not sign him to 4 yr deal with past injuries and style of game he plays 31 this season....

Edler 34 -- needs to play less minutes to reduce his chance of injuries...18 -- 21 mins..

Now we Sign Taffoli --

Trade from depth with is wing for a top # 2 D man----  Boeser will get the D man we need..

Virtanen-- Like his game but inconsistent ...5 yrs now --- Only trade if he brings back a #3 D man under 26 years old..

Trade Stetcher - Det - 3rd round pick-- Stetcher will want 2.7 million...Rafferty is ready..

I like trade with NJ-- Severson 6'1 -  26 --2 way D man  ---- Woods 6'2 very gritty winger..

Boeser --NJ  

Miler - Pettersson -- Taffoli

Pearson -- Horvat - Lievo

Woods- Gaudette   MacEwen

Motte -- Beagle--   Russel

Hughes - Severson

Meyers - Edler

Fantenberg -- Rafferty 

Juolevi - Benn - Rathbone....

1.Demko  2.Domingue or (sign backup under 2.5)

Edited by wildcam
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Trebreh said:

I think Hall would fit well with Colorado. His speed matches their play style.