Pearson - Horvat - ??

Leivo - Gaudette - MacEwen

Motte - Beagle - Eriksson

Lind

Edler - Myers

Hughes - Tanev

Fantenberg - Rafferty

Juolevi

So your saying expect a lesser team next season.

On 9/7/2020 at 8:51 AM, CallAfterLife said:

That's why I think the Canucks could regress in these next few seasons. I think these next few years may be a bit challenging as Podkolzin and Juolevi etc adjust to the NHL. I don't think that's necessarily a terrible thing going forward because the Canucks will be competitive just as Benning and Aquilini's want but will still retain a draft pick in the bottom half of the first round. 

At the very least the Canucks still have all their draft picks after this year. 

I don't think the Canucks will be drafting in the top 10 again for a while so I'm quite interested to see what type of players Benning will take in the bottom half of the first. I'm hoping Benning will take the BPA regardless of how long the development time it takes. Way too many players in the top 10 are over rated just because they've physically matured and teams think they can play in the NHL sooner rather than later. This was essentially the problem with Virtanen. 

If Benning can continue to draft good players that either force him to make space for them or give him the option to trade them to fill another positional need on the team then the Canucks will be in such a good position going forward. 

If Benning could take Boeser at #23 then I have faith that he'll be able to pick another guy with similar talent and give the Canucks a lot of good problems to have. 

I don't see us regressing at all. When you look at who are best players we're throughout the playoffs it was mostly from our young core and Miller. Toffolli was really only noticeable in a couple of times and our bottom six disappeared for most of the Vegas series. I think Benning will use the minimum 19 mill in cap space to sign the players he feels will help the young core in the long run and as fans with our tendency to get to attached it might sting a bit.

Most people want TT signed because of what we gave up to get him plus a very short 10 game stint. In truth we won two rounds without him and we have enough internal options that might make spending that money elsewhere a better option.

Same with Tanev, unless he signs cheap and for a short term it could end up ugly if he goes back to missing his usual 20-30 games a season.

Lastly and the hardest is Marky, he is our mvp and most of us here would have a hard time seeing Marky anywhere else. However, Demko was always supposed to be the heir apparent and has only strengthened his case in his last 4 starts plus he was great early in the year as well. It seems Benning has offered 2 and 3 year deals to Marky and that IMO is exactly the right amount of term and has to have a clause to allow him to be exposed to Seattle.

I think based on what Benning has said about Jake and other RFAs that they may be moved.

Jake especially and maybe even Stech? I can't see Stech being worth 2.5-3+ million.

Plus who knows how many contracts will be off the books with Ferland possibly done and guys like Baer and LE up in the air as well.

In the end I have full faith that whoever leaves or is brought in will be what's best for the team going forward.

miller petey boeser

hoglander horvat toffoli

roussel gaudette macewen

motte   beagle lind 

hughes myers 

edler 

juolevi benn 

markstrom

assets  to trade 

demkofor mid first  draft hughes brother 

virtanen  for a young dman  

pearson for 2nd rounder and a 3rd 

sutter  or waive 

eriksson or waive 

tanev rights for 5th 

stecher rights for a 5th 

On 9/7/2020 at 4:28 PM, gurn said:

Hughes  will sign for whatever the Canucks decide, as he is ineligible for offer sheets. It maybe a long term big money deal or a short term bridge, but the Canucks hold the power.

There ain't going to be home town discounts for Hughes, he's future all-star and his agents commission depends on a top end salary :-)

Edited by Fred65

19 hours ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

I don't see us regressing at all. When you look at who are best players we're throughout the playoffs it was mostly from our young core and Miller. Toffolli was really only noticeable in a couple of times and our bottom six disappeared for most of the Vegas series. I think Benning will use the minimum 19 mill in cap space to sign the players he feels will help the young core in the long run and as fans with our tendency to get to attached it might sting a bit.

Most people want TT signed because of what we gave up to get him plus a very short 10 game stint. In truth we won two rounds without him and we have enough internal options that might make spending that money elsewhere a better option.

Same with Tanev, unless he signs cheap and for a short term it could end up ugly if he goes back to missing his usual 20-30 games a season.

Lastly and the hardest is Marky, he is our mvp and most of us here would have a hard time seeing Marky anywhere else. However, Demko was always supposed to be the heir apparent and has only strengthened his case in his last 4 starts plus he was great early in the year as well. It seems Benning has offered 2 and 3 year deals to Marky and that IMO is exactly the right amount of term and has to have a clause to allow him to be exposed to Seattle.

I think based on what Benning has said about Jake and other RFAs that they may be moved.

Jake especially and maybe even Stech? I can't see Stech being worth 2.5-3+ million.

Plus who knows how many contracts will be off the books with Ferland possibly done and guys like Baer and LE up in the air as well.

In the end I have full faith that whoever leaves or is brought in will be what's best for the team going forward.

I don't really have much of an opinion on Toffoli. He was brought in because Ferland and Leivo were hurt and for whatever reason Baertschi wasn't given the opportunity to return to the NHL. Leivo was on his way to putting up at least 35-40 points this season. He's a guy that has put up points in the past while signed to a cheap contract so I hope to see him signed for another short term deal to see how he's recovered from that knee injury.

I don't want to see the Canucks regress. And it's not just about the playoffs its about the grind of the regular season as well. But I think it could happen as the Canucks go through some growing pains when Juolevi and Podkolzin etc are integrated into the lineup. Juolevi especially. The Canucks really need a #2 puck mover to back up Hughes and help with the transition game. 

But regardless of what happens, the key for Benning going forward will be to draft the next group of young players that can slowly be brought into the lineup to support the core. Benning likely won't be in a position to draft the next Pettersson and Hughes, but if he can draft players that can supplement the team like Brock Nelson at #30 or like an Olli Maatta or Mike Matheson who were taken at #22 and #23 in the same year, the Canucks will be in a good place to remain competitive throughout Pettersson and Hughes tenure. 

I really don't want to chase the Cup the way Gillis did. I want the to do it the way Boston and Tampa have been doing it. Those teams have a shot at winning the Cup every year because they've drafted a great supporting cast and even some future core pieces. 

Edited by CallAfterLife
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

Jim Benning actually scored 6th best in GM of the year of the year award with 3 first place and 3 3rd place votes.  He is getting recognition  among his peers.  Hope he continues building our team.

He deserves it after all the criticism he took from fans and the media.

So many people in the media looking foolish after their Miller trade opinions.

If Juolevi can turn out similar to Heiskanen the Canucks can be dangerous. 

Congrats to the Dallas Stars tonight. So happy they beat Vegas. 

Roope Hintz were taken in the second round in 2015. Esa Lindell was taken in the third round in 2012. John Klingberg was taken in the fifth round in 2010. That's some decent drafting outside the first round. Drafting like this will be what it takes to support Pettersson and Hughes. 

Edited by CallAfterLife

On 9/7/2020 at 7:59 AM, Canuckster86 said:

we need picks in the higher rounds to have a better shot at getting quality future nhl players. No pick till round 3 this year, so very unlikely we see that 3rd round pick be on the team for 3 years minimum.

GM needs to cut some salary this off season, get creative and IMPROVE this team. We can't afford to already be taking steps back, we need to get better each and every year

It would be nice but for once we can afford to do without picks for one year, TJ is here for 3 more seasons so there's no need for that elusive final top 6 push he provides that we needed, D-wise is where the changes will be and we're starting that so I don't see any regression at all, even after we lose a piece to Seattle but if the right contract leaves we'll have that $ available when we need it the most, I think JB is counting on at least one of our D prospects to work out and trade for one but both would be needed for 2nd pairing I imagine but 3rd-4th pairings can be used to try out what comes out the farm..

Either way, we can't have our goalies peppered every night! 

10 hours ago, iceman64 said:

It would be nice but for once we can afford to do without picks for one year, TJ is here for 3 more seasons so there's no need for that elusive final top 6 push he provides that we needed, D-wise is where the changes will be and we're starting that so I don't see any regression at all, even after we lose a piece to Seattle but if the right contract leaves we'll have that $ available when we need it the most, I think JB is counting on at least one of our D prospects to work out and trade for one but both would be needed for 2nd pairing I imagine but 3rd-4th pairings can be used to try out what comes out the farm..

Either way, we can't have our goalies peppered every night! 

ya  tanev and stecher walk our left side us fine

hughes myers

edler rafferty

juolevi benn 

rathbone 

could use a trade for a right dman with offense please 

On 9/7/2020 at 7:25 AM, CallAfterLife said:

I’m hoping the era of packaging picks for players like Sutter, Gudbranson and even Miller and Toffoli has come to and end.

if it was done in the rething era, why would it have come to an end in the competitive stages?

You improve in any way you can, period.   Draft, develop, trade, free agent signings.  There is no linear, 'proper' form to do so.

The Sutter deal involved Bonino, Clendening, and a late 2nd for Sutter, a high 3rd - a minor trade down - not 'packaging picks' - so I think you've misrepresented that deal.

It's true that it's important to keep a continuous flow of prospects - which they have done, ironically, in spite of 'packaging picks' as suggested. 

They also acquired picks btw - in the Kesler, Bieksa, Garrison, etc deals (those were 1sts and 2nds).  They balanced out in general,

And, for example, you take the Miller deal every single time, regardless.

But if you're expecting/hoping that ends/changes, I think you're going to be disappointed.

Edited by oldnews
  • Cheers 2

2 hours ago, canuktravella said:

ya  tanev and stecher walk our left side us fine

hughes myers

edler rafferty

juolevi benn 

rathbone 

could use a trade for a right dman with offense please 

Hughes has played a lot of right D and has said he is comfortable either side.  It's Green who's uncomfortable with it.

On 9/7/2020 at 7:25 AM, CallAfterLife said:

I’ve noticed that a lot of people on these boards are worried about the salary cap. I agree that the situation isn’t ideal. Numerous players have been paid too much money, young players will be demanding raises and difficult decisions will have to be made going forward.

I actually think the Canucks could see a regression in the next few years because they won’t be able to afford to keep key pieces this off-season. Despite that I think it’s ridiculous for people to start panicking about wasting Pettersson and Hughes ELC years and Horvat and Boeser’s affordable contract years.

If Benning can continue to have success at the draft, cap space won’t be a problem despite numerous core players signing big money contracts because the cap can be managed internally through ELCs and RFA bridge deals.

Now that Benning has the core pieces in place in Pettersson, Hughes, Horvat etc and a lot prospects with NHL potential in Podkolzin, Hoglander, Lind, Juolevi, Rathbone, Rafferty etc I’m hoping the era of packaging picks for players like Sutter, Gudbranson and even Miller and Toffoli has come to and end.

I’m looking forward to seeing if Benning can draft, develop and deal players to manage the salary cap.

In 1998 Benning became the director of amateur scouting for Buffalo and in 2006 he became the assistant GM for Boston. Ryan Miller, Jason Pominville, Dennis Wideman, Clarke MacArthur, Andrej Sekera were all picked outside the first round under Benning’s tenure.

There are a lot of other names that don’t stand out as much but have seemingly had decently long NHL careers as depths players in Benning's tenure as well. 

If Benning can continue to have success at the draft and start to wheel and deal players for assets then the Canucks will be in a good position to succeed over the long term.

Benning has had a tenuous journey with the Canucks but is, now, enjoying some of the fruits of his labor.

Now in his 5th season at the helm of the Canucks, JB's core is beginning to take shape.

Miller               Petey                 Toffoli

Horvat               Boeser

Podkolzin

Macewen

Hughes                                   

Rathbone               Edler             

Juolevi                   Myers

Demko

The players I've listed above are the players, I believe, will be here three seasons from now and will be part of the team that will compete for a cup.

The most encouraging part of this is that, of the thirteen players listed, 10 are Vancouver drafted. That's a recipe for success. 

However, his full vision still requires a lot of work. He still needs to fill out the LW and C positions. as well as a premiere RD.

It has been a long journey but, I am glad JB can now crack a bit of a smile as his successes are now coming around.

• Cheers 1

I’m excited to see him clean up his mess of bad contracts.

With out signing new ones Which might be the only positive because even if he wanted to he won’t be able to. 
regardless of what happens LE should be told he will not be in a Canuck uniform next season.its  Utica or elsewhere.

Moving/ridding  Benn sutter bear rousell 
Would be bonus points. 

Edited by Tracksuit

On 9/9/2020 at 6:04 AM, Alienhuggyflow said:

There's a lot of decisions and a million different ways it could play out. The following are guys Benning could either keep or get rid of and there is good logic both for and against all of those decisions based on the entire transformation and objective.

UFA's

Toffoli

Markstrom

Tanev

Stetcher

Leivo

Fantenberg

Potential trades

Virtanen

Demko

Pearson

Roussel

Sutter

Gaudette

Benn

Like to get rid of their cap ... and them

Eriksson

Baertschi

Poor guy ... could throw a wrench in JB's plans (adaptability)

Ferland

In my mind Benning will go one of two ways and I believe he'll go the second.

Firstly, he could trade Demko or just let Markstrom walk leaving us with one starter moving forward. Risky either way. If he lets Marky walk he could sign a cheap goalie (Dominguez) to a contract giving us real good cap savings for a year. Otherwise Marky and the same backup costs considerably more. About $4 - $5 mil.  He could then spend that money on a Toffoli, or Tanev. The one problem with that is that is if the plan succeeds Demko will put us in the same situation shortly.

However, I think he'll keep them both as he values important hockey fundamentals such as superb goaltending, something we don't have to worry about right now. I can't really see him gambling at this stage with this developing core since an off year with a fledgling goalie going into the expansion draft could really paint a murky picture. In addition, if an exposed goalie  actually gets picked, maybe that protects a Lind or Juolevi which could really help us in the future.

Either way, I don't see Benning being so bold but he could do some radical things.

Trade Demko (Stock risen)

Trade Virtanen

Trade Roussel

Trade Sutter/Pearson

(one or all for a younger RD)

Let Tanev go (keep him if we can though ... a little worried about Hughes on his own)

Let Stetcher go

Let Leivo go (going to get hurt again)

Let Fantenberg go (Unfortunately as I like him)

Sign Markstrom

Sign Toffoli

Sign a #6 D, Bottom 6 player (C), and/or

Promote from within

Either way this team could have a different look and I'm hoping Jimmy can pull something cool off.

LE (full cap) for Bobby Ryan @50% then buy him out immediately. Brings the cap hit down from 6.0 to approx. 1.8 for the next two years and 0.9 for two after that ,I believe. Saves Melnyk some cash overall* because Eriksson's contract has relatively less money owed on it due to the bonus being ,presumably, paid already. 

*Provided Ottawa buyout LE this year or next.

Edited by BlastPast

I wish Benning could do the followings in the coming season:

1.  Re-sign Toffoli, Motte, Sutter, Gaudette and Leivo.

2.  Let Marky walk away, keep Demko and sign a solid back-up goalie.

3.  Solve the cap issue with Baerchi, Eriksson.

4.  Keep Stretch, Beagle, Roussel and Pearson as bridge contracts.

5.  Trade Virtanen, Taner, if possible, for physical and good moving skill defence.

6.  Let Juolevi be in the line-up in the starting of next season, and give opportunities to Pod, Hog, MacEwen, Rathone and Rafferty if they seems ready.

7.   Work Tree back to the team after the KHL season completed.