The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(discussion) Tyler Motte 3C ?

Rate this topic

JM_

People forget he's only 25 as well, the guy's got a lot of potential yet and may become an offensive contributer as well. If we can get a Tuch-like player out of him then it's a nice diamond in the rough finding by JB.

I do hope JB locks him up long-term, something like 2M 5 year deal would be brilliant. He'd basically be a 3rd line player at his rate, play around 12-15 minutes and be the heart and soul of our PK as it evolves.

• Vintage 1

7 hours ago, Robert Long said:

Watching Motte step up this playoffs has made me wonder.... could we possibly have our next 3C in Motte? 

Its a small sample size to work from, but he did have a great college career and has shown he clearly has the defensive capability and he looks to have some offensive capacity in the NHL as well. He doesn't have much of a face off history tho, so Malholtra would have a real project there. 

If we're "stuck" with Sutter going into next year I wonder if we should think about grooming Motte to take over the 3C role. Maybe a line of Sutter-Motte-MacEwan? 

Just wondering if anyone else thinks we might have an in-house answer to our next 3C. 

From where I’m sitting and from what I watched Motte outplayed everyone in the bottom six .... and he outplayed both Pearson and TT.  So he’s id not only like to see him get a 3rd line promotion but also like to see him get some time with Horvat.  Why?  He had the best stick in the entire playoffs - hitting pucks in mid air - hitting sticks to drop the puck and grad it - most takeaways playing against MIN/St Louis/Vegas top guys on the pk. 

Plus it’s the way he attacks the puck possession.   Nobody on our team did it better.  His energy is infectious.    For me at least id be happy to give him Pearson’s spot and make a trade - forget the 3rd line promote him to the 2nd.   He made plays and scored with his chances too.  How many breakaways did anyone get?  He made or participated in three.  Myers and Horvat were the only other ones that I re-call. 

Edit: Ok Sutter did too - not quite cleanly but a great hustle play / and Roussel did as well but not from the blue line in. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

People forget he's only 25 as well, the guy's got a lot of potential yet and may become an offensive contributer as well. If we can get a Tuch-like player out of him then it's a nice diamond in the rough finding by JB.

I do hope JB locks him up long-term, something like 2M 5 year deal would be brilliant. He'd basically be a 3rd line player at his rate, play around 12-15 minutes and be the heart and soul of our PK as it evolves.

He’d be a steal at that ... Motter, was the second best surprise of the playoffs after Demko which says a lot given what Horvat, EP and QHs did.

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

Maybe Tyler Madden can fill that ro-........ oh wait nevermind.

All jokes aside, I think Motte is more effective as a winger and shouldn't be transitioned to centre.

Hopefully Gaudette can develop his defensive game more. He looked lost out there at times during the playoffs. 

Either that or we try to look for a reliable alternative. Maybe move Beagle up to third line centre (assuming Sutter is gone) and get a cheaper alternative for the 4th line centre role?

There are lots of options so I am not too concerned.

I guess whats more likely to happen, Motte picks up face-offs as a skill, or Gaudette get significantly better defensively? 

6 hours ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

We need depth scoring and solid defensive play to complement our young core. He 100% has his spot on the team. 3C is more suited for a player like Gaudette, who has very decent offensive potential. Motte has not proven much in the way of 3rd line production, however, I do think he is worth playing 15 mins a game, no matter what line he is on.

That said AG didn’t get on the score sheet.   Motte won a game by himself on the 4th line.   Maybe it’s just age difference.. but If I ranked the forwards AG would be near the bottom and Motter would be between BB and Pearson. 

3 minutes ago, IBatch said:

From where I’m sitting and from what I watched Motte outplayed everyone in the bottom six .... and he outplayed both Pearson and TT.  So he’s id not only like to see him get a 3rd line promotion but also like to see him get some time with Horvat.  Why?  He had the best stick in the entire playoffs - hitting pucks in mid air - hitting sticks to drop the puck and grad it - most takeaways playing against MIN/St Louis/Vegas top guys on the pk. 

Plus it’s the way he attacks the puck possession.   Nobody on our team did it better.  His energy is infectious.    For me at least id be happy to give him Pearson’s spot and make a trade - forget the 3rd line promote him to the 2nd.   He made plays and scored with his chances too.  How many breakaways did anyone get?  He made or participated in three.  Myers and Horvat were the only other ones that I re-call. 

thats interesting, and might fit more with what he did in college. There's clearly no worry in his defensive game so it would be all about production to stick in that spot. He'd bring more physical play to Bo's LW than Pearson too. 

When you look at the stats, Loui's defensive play helped Bo out a lot, if Motte could also bring that and more regular effort than Pearson... you might be onto something here. 

• Vintage 1

Like the thread - maybe change it though and say something along the lines “Should Motte take the 2LW spot?  For me at least it would be as emphatic yes!  He’s a possession take away beast - great along the boards, can finish and importantly is a steal cap wise.  None of the announcers talked about TT or Pearson... they sure did talk about Motter - a lot.   Because he was freaking awesome.   Burrows 2.0 

Edit: Two different players.  Except both have a lot of soul and heart.  Motte ... is an excellent fourth liner and PK guy / it’s his skill that impressed me the most. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

thats interesting, and might fit more with what he did in college. There's clearly no worry in his defensive game so it would be all about production to stick in that spot. He'd bring more physical play to Bo's LW than Pearson too. 

When you look at the stats, Loui's defensive play helped Bo out a lot, if Motte could also bring that and more regular effort than Pearson... you might be onto something here. 

The “EYE” test definitely looks that way. Pearson is a positional perimeter player. Motte is the “energizer bunny”.   Reminds me a little of Torres actually minus the crazy eyes ha ha.   Love the guy he’s a part of the team I’d like to see rewarded for his hard work. 

Edited by IBatch

6 minutes ago, IBatch said:

The “EYE” test definitely looks that way. Pearson is a positional perimeter player. Motte is the “energizer bunny”.   Reminds me a little of Torres actually minus the actual eyes ha ha.   Love the guy he’s a part of the team I’d like to see rewarded for his hard work. 

I can see why Pittsburgh was OK to move on from him and take a flyer on Guddy. I do think we could move him. Motte-Bo-Toffoli could be a heck of a line. We still have that future 3C issue tho. There's still time for AG to step up next year so we'll see. 

• Vintage 1

Motte can absolutely move up. But who can replace him? ;) lol

Playing with good linemates during his last season at Michigan Motte was second in goal scoring in the nation. And Top Ten in the Hobey Baker voting.

He has the offensive skill to move up. Not sure about a 3C though.

Edited by AV's Coin
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, AV's Coin said:

Motte can absolutely move up. But who can replace him? ;) lol

Playing with good linemates during his last season at Michigan Motte was second in goal scoring in the nation. And Top Ten in the Hobey Baker voting.

He has the offensive skill to move up. Not sure about a 3C though.

yeah I'm just chucking it out there to see what all the peeps think. Seems like the general consensus is he's worth a try at moving up a line or two. 

I really like his effort tho... if he was a face-off beast that would change things a lot imo. But we just don't know until you try it out. 

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Short term, the former - we have one of the best in Manny Malhotra to train him.  Longer term, with the right mentorship, the latter.

Gaudette has shows bits and pieces of defensive acumen, but he's not particularly strong on the puck.  Someone needs to start feeding him thumbtacks and sandpaper, so that he can graduate to nails and gravel to build up his mean streak and toughness, so that he can not only make the good responsible defensive plays, but also attack the puck carrier and fish the puck out of the board and corner scrums.

thats the part that got exposed a bit this run. Green certainly gave him a very long look tho. I'd be fascinated to hear what the internal consensus is. 

2 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

yeah I'm just chucking it out there to see what all the peeps think. Seems like the general consensus is he's worth a try at moving up a line or two. 

I really like his effort tho... if he was a face-off beast that would change things a lot imo. But we just don't know until you try it out. 

Im not doubting the possibility, I just dont know enough about how hard the transition from wing to center is.

He has the  tenacity, the speed, the defensive acumen and the untapped offensive skill. He obviously adjusted from being an offensive player in college to a 4th line player and PK'er on the NHL.

Seems like a coaches dream.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

Ah no thanks,  Keep him on the wing where he belongs.... between 3rd and 4th lines where he belongs. 

5 hours ago, MattJVD said:

I'd rather not. The center is on the wall less and isn't the 1st forward in on the forecheck. Motte, for his size, is really good as the 1st guy in on the forecheck, the dude is tenacious. It's fine if he stays as the 4 LW on paper, he's still getting 15 minutes of ice per night.

This is spot on. 

• Cheers 2

45 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

I can see why Pittsburgh was OK to move on from him and take a flyer on Guddy. I do think we could move him. Motte-Bo-Toffoli could be a heck of a line. We still have that future 3C issue tho. There's still time for AG to step up next year so we'll see. 

The way I see it is AG either sinks or swims next year as far as making it as a C, well maybe two years max.   He did have some good games in the dot this playoffs.   Sutter at around 2.5-3 million after his current contract is also something to consider, replacing Beagle long term.  I like Motte just how he is.   But want to see more of him.  

Considering JV, TT, Pearson all pretty much disappeared against Vegas and Motte was the one that shined the brightest he’s at least deserved a look at more responsibility.  Hope the coaching staff and JB see it the same way, sure some of the calls were about Motte. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Robert Long said:

I'm also wondering if he's one of the RFAs on the potential trade block as well? not that I'm lobbying for it but if there's an offer by a GM for a RHD RFA it might be hard to turn down. 

Gaud?  No.  Gaudette is making steady (but slow) progress.  I think he's earned himself some rope from the coach.  Unlike his older line mate.  He's a gamer but unlike EP, Gaudette at 170 seems under sized in his role.  Maybe it's his style of play.  I thought he would produce a small amount but he was shut out of the score sheet during the play offs.

2017-18 6.png Northeastern Univ. “A” NCAA 38 30 30 60 41 12 |   -          
  3.png Vancouver Canucks NHL 5 0 0 0 0 2 |   -          
2018-19 3.png Vancouver Canucks NHL 56 5 7 12 18 -8 |   -          
  6.png Utica Comets AHL 14 5 6 11 12 1 |   -          
2019-20 3.png Vancouver Canucks NHL 59 12 21 33 37 -7 | Playoffs 10 0 0 0 2 -1
  6.png Utica Comets AHL 2 1 0 1 0 -1 |
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

The way I see it is AG either sinks or swims next year as far as making it as a C, well maybe two years max.   He did have some good games in the dot this playoffs.   Sutter at around 2.5-3 million after his current contract is also something to consider, replacing Beagle long term.  I like Motte just how he is.   But want to see more of him.  

Considering JV, TT, Pearson all pretty much disappeared against Vegas and Motte was the one that shined the brightest he’s at least deserved a look at more responsibility.  Hope the coaching staff and JB see it the same way, sure some of the calls were about Motte. 

Agree. 

Don't forget TT was playing on 1 leg.  Several others were banged up as well including Miller and Myers.  There was a rumour that Hughes was hurting for a few games early in the Vegas series.  As for Pearson, I couldn't say....4-4-8 is ok production (but he go quiet in the Vegas series)

2 hours ago, Robert Long said:

Every team needs a supporting cast who play tough and fast and contribute on the score sheet from time to time.  I'd say Motte passed the test.

Some other players went quiet and those are the ones on the hot seat imo.  Low producers in the playoffs who should be concerned I think are:

1. Roussel 2-2-4 in 17 games
  2. Virtanen 2-1-3 in 16 games
  3. Eriksson 0-0-0 in 10 games
  4. Gaudette 0-0-0 in 10 games

I'm going to give Beagle a pass with 2 points because that's what is expected and Myers with no points in 10 games because he really took a shot for the team and missed 7 games

• Cheers 1