The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[8-Minute Insights] 32 Minutes of Cody Hodgson, some Mason Raymond, & a little bit of Jannik Hansen.

Rate this topic

TrickOfShapes

On 9/10/2020 at 2:21 AM, Ferlands_Head said:

100% 

A lot of posters back then felt the Canucks went downhill after their win vs Boston in "Game 8" and were never the same after.

In reality they were never the same after the Hodgson trade, they lost a top 6 forward and gained a bottom 6 project, absolutely made no sense. Having CoHo that year gave us 3 dangerous scoring lines, we became much easier to defend after that. The cheap elbow by Duncan Keith on D.Sedin didn't help either. 

In the 19 games after the Hodgson trade they averaged 2.26 Goals Per Game. They ended up finishing their season at 3.03. 

Can only imagine if they kept Hodgson and D.Sedin was healthy, that 2012 cup likely could've been ours. 

A top 6 forward?? Hodgson was never a top 6 forward. Two big things happened one Maholtra got injured and two Dan Hamhuis got injured. Neither was the same after their injuries. This had nothing to do with Hodgson who amounted to nothing in the NHL. 

LOL what? 

1 hour ago, peaches5 said:

A top 6 forward?? Hodgson was never a top 6 forward. Two big things happened one Maholtra got injured and two Dan Hamhuis got injured. Neither was the same after their injuries. This had nothing to do with Hodgson who amounted to nothing in the NHL. 

LOL what? 

True and you can add Mr Jacobs suspended Rome for the longest ever SC play offs. Edlers broken finger and  Erhoff/Keslers seperated shoulder didn't help either. Hodgson back injury which eventually took him out of the game altogether and in all honesty Kassian is just what this club needs how ever sniffer had other ideas. I'm glad Kassian was able get his life back together

4 hours ago, peaches5 said:

LOL what? 

Yeah he never played in our top 6 but he sure produced like a top 6 forward.

Not doubting the impact of the Malhotra injury, but not sure why you think Hamhuis was never the same after the injury as he had an excellent season in 11-12 IMO his best season as a Canuck.

How do you explain our scoring suddenly falling off a cliff after the trade? The loss of Hodgson rendered our 2nd PP useless, and the third line goes from one of the most productive 3rd lines to a checking line.

The 11-12 Canucks lost 3 1 goal games to the Kings. Having our top scorer and another scoring line and PP unit could've made the difference. 

3 hours ago, Ferlands_Head said:

Yeah he never played in our top 6 but he sure produced like a top 6 forward.

Not doubting the impact of the Malhotra injury, but not sure why you think Hamhuis was never the same after the injury as he had an excellent season in 11-12 IMO his best season as a Canuck.

How do you explain our scoring suddenly falling off a cliff after the trade? The loss of Hodgson rendered our 2nd PP useless, and the third line goes from one of the most productive 3rd lines to a checking line.

The 11-12 Canucks lost 3 1 goal games to the Kings. Having our top scorer and another scoring line and PP unit could've made the difference. 

I distinctly remember it this way too. Hodgson trade was a turning point. I remember thinking when the trade happened that it was a mistake because what we had going for us was 3 lines that could score, and sure enough our scoring fell off right after that trade. We tried to replace him with a defensive centreman at the deadline in Sami Pahlsson but he turned out to be a dud. It really was the trade that took that "special" element away from our team. Suddenly our team looked more typical. Less unstoppable.

The Malholtra injury was a factor, but that happened in the regular season before our cup run. We still found success without him  And like you said, Hamhuis played well after as well.

And what you said about him being top 6 checks out too. He was playing on the 3rd line but was on pace for 20 goals and 40+ points over 82 games. Those are top 6 numbers. 

• Upvote 1

On 9/11/2020 at 5:31 AM, Ferlands_Head said:

Excellent post i couldn't agree more. IMO the problem was masked a bit in 2011-12 by career years from Edler, Bieksa and Hamhuis. But you're right something definitely was off and it was the transition offense. Just like this year we had no answer for the Kings forecheck in 11-12. I've been saying even before this year Hughes is a game changer but he can't play 60 mins a night. Hopefully with the arrival of Juolevi and possibly Rathbone we can finally put an end to these issues and win a damn cup! 

Absolutely, Malhotra allowed Kesler to take on a more offensive role and he was a HUGE loss. It also forced us to play Lapierre on line 3 instead of the 4th line, effectively killing our ability to run 4 effective lines. Our revolving door 4th line contributed nothing to our cup run.

What about the memories? Does not having one more win invalidates that entire post season?

5 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I wouldn’t argue otherwise.  It’s just a shame he couldn’t do it here.

Some players just need to be moved to wake up. In Kassian's case he needed to clear waivers twice and be traded afterwards both times to realize if he didn't wake up his career was over. Knowing you have talent and nobody wanting you for free, twice in less than a year, is an extreme wakeup call. And Benning doing it wasn't enough of a wakeup call. He screwed up in Montreal before even playing a game for them. He said on a Bieksa/Kesler podcast he thought his career was over at that point.

Kassian said he realizes he left Bergevin with no choice but to do what he did. "When a GM sits you down and says, 'You're going to get one chance with me,' he's going to stick to his word," he said. "He's a man of his word. I respect Marc. That's the way it was. "Sadly, that was the situation I had to be put in to learn from. I'm very grateful for the opportunity to get back to the NHL. I just want to kind of put my past behind me and show the new me." 

https://www.nhl.com/news/zack-kassian/c-278325564

I don't dwell on the what if as I don't believe he would have turned it around staying here. I just say good on him for turning it around and saving his career.

59 minutes ago, Baggins said:

Some players just need to be moved to wake up. In Kassian's case he needed to clear waivers twice and be traded afterwards both times to realize if he didn't wake up his career was over. Knowing you have talent and nobody wanting you for free, twice in less than a year, is an extreme wakeup call. And Benning doing it wasn't enough of a wakeup call. He screwed up in Montreal before even playing a game for them. He said on a Bieksa/Kesler podcast he thought his career was over at that point.

Kassian said he realizes he left Bergevin with no choice but to do what he did. "When a GM sits you down and says, 'You're going to get one chance with me,' he's going to stick to his word," he said. "He's a man of his word. I respect Marc. That's the way it was. "Sadly, that was the situation I had to be put in to learn from. I'm very grateful for the opportunity to get back to the NHL. I just want to kind of put my past behind me and show the new me." 

https://www.nhl.com/news/zack-kassian/c-278325564

I don't dwell on the what if as I don't believe he would have turned it around staying here. I just say good on him for turning it around and saving his career.

I was about to give you a 'beer' emoticon in salute but given the nature of Kassian's inner demon's it would probably be in bad taste.  In the end, he SEEMS like a good person so good on him for being able to fight off those inner demons.  

• Thanks 1

On 9/10/2020 at 1:52 PM, Darkstar said:

The second they added a defenseman who can move the puck up the ice, the team made the playoffs. This is something I've been touting since 2011.

Likewise. But we need more than Hughes imo. Stecher shows being offensively aware at times, and Edler can put up points sometimes as can Myers, but I really think we still need a 2a who can both us to apply almost continuous pressure from the blueline but especially for the 2nd power play unit. This scoring by committee thing isn't good enough as for some reason our d is where offense goes to die. Hopefully we can look internally at Rathbone or perhaps even Rafferty if he shows well at camp.