The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Would Markstrom sign a contract without a NTC?

Rate this topic

Makaramel MacKhiato

On 9/13/2020 at 12:26 PM, apollo said:

If I'm Marky I'd push for a NTC very hard. This is his home and he loves it here. Why leave to another city and miss the upcoming dynasty?

4 years - 5 AAV NTC granted - maybe 5 team list?

Long live the Markstromian Wall!!

Happy Ice Hockey GIF by NHL

ya i don't see any scenario markstrom would sign for 5mil lol he's going to want upward of 6+ and based on what other goalies are getting paid around the league? he'll definitely get 6 6.5 and up. this is his only chance to hit the homerun.. doubt he wants to sign for below market. there's quite a few teams that will be able to afford markstrom. there will be bidding war. if markstrom hits the UFA doubt we can afford to re-sign him

I’d say there would be little  chance he’d sign without a ntc.
and the Nucks shouldn’t sign him if He must have protection.

hes become a great goaltender but he’s 31 he basically has had two seasons in his career where he actually looks like a number 1. 
Don’t get me wrong i think he’s a big part if not the main reason we made the playoffs and didn’t finish dead last. 
But the coach of Vegas credited demko as being one of the reason they couldn’t score in the Dallas series demko has been groomed to be the future. 

So Demko is the goaltender we need to mature al long side the young core to be a complete team for a long time. 

with markstrom in two years we’ll be looking for a new net-minder while the rest of the team is at its peak and he’ll Still have protection. 
long term demko is the better choice.

and cap issues coming down the pipe won’t be easier with a 30+ goaltender signed with protection for min of 4 years. 

• Cheers 1

No, his trade value will plummet as soon as he signs his contract no matter what team he joins and no matter if it has an NMC or NTC, lots of free agent goalies this year. Plus his age and the term he is going to get? I hope Benning moves on or finds a goalie out there with more cap value.

Canucks need to move on from him.

Edited by canuckster19

i wouldn't sign markstrom to anything more than a 3year contract with ntc or nmc tbh.. i mean seriously how many goalies out there have shown they are consistently performing once they hit their 30s? if anything majority of the goalies shows a massive decline once they hit 30s. Markstrom was great for us the last couple years.. but good goalies can be had on the free agent market if demko does falter.. look at lehner.. he was a free agent last year and no one willing to give him a big contract and he signed for a 1 year deal. if markstrom is the only reason we made the playoff.. then we prolly better off saving the cap and look elsewhere to improve so that he's not the only reason we made the playoff.. ie upgrade the defense.. if say we upgrade the defense and go with demko.. we might have the same result as a crap defense with markstrom.. except if we went with demko there's potential demko does even better.

On 9/14/2020 at 5:28 AM, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Particularly when he hasn’t ‘hit it big’ on any previous contract to date.  He’s paid his dues with the club and earned that right.  It’s a question of whether the club can afford it (cap wise).

Unless one thinks Demko can start 60+ games next season (something he’s never done in his career & remember this offseason isn’t going to be as long as usual Likely), we better make an upgrade on the blueline (defensively) or re-sign Tanev because signing an average backup veteran goalie isn’t remotely going to play as good as Markstrom for those thirty something games.  That alone could cost us a playoff spot.

How do count "paying his dues?"

Markstrom is the epitome of "long term project"

He was traded here when he was the same age that Jake Virtanen is now, and it took him 3+ years to become a star/starter

He has had 2 -60 game seasons then got injured when we needed him most, ( stretch drive and playoffs)

Agewise he is there with Holtby, Lenher and Jake Allen. His career stats are very similar to Jake Allen's.

The reason he has never had a big payday, is because he has never earned one before.

he had 1 pretty iffy game in each round of the playoffs

If you look at the goalies that played in this years playoffs, most the ones that are 35 look old, the ones that are 32 look like they are ready to decline and Markstrom is 30.5 years old. How long do you want to invest in him? Marky might be the next Johnny Bower/ Tim Thomas, but I would not bet on it.

Demko is younger than Markstrom was when traded to Vancouver and looks ready to start. He may need a 1b goal mate but he does not need 3 years of Ryan Miller playing 50 + games before he takes the starting role.

8 hours ago, Darkstar said:

It honestly makes more sense for Markstrom to walk and sign with another team. He'll get more money, a longer term, and an NTC.

I agree, I think Colorado could be interesting.  Team that's ready to win now with enough cap space.  Then they flip Grubauer, maybe even to us for a cap dump i.e. Baertschi

On 9/16/2020 at 1:35 PM, Darkstar said:

It honestly makes more sense for Markstrom to walk and sign with another team. He'll get more money, a longer term, and an NTC.

I would typically agree 100%.

But given the cap and internal budgets this year, I'm not sure how many GMs would lock themselves in too long with an aging goaltender with a good but not stellar save % and at such a high price. Plus there are supposed to be a lot of quality goaltenders to choose from.

With that said, there no doubt some suitors will find a way to make the offer if we let him walk. 

Edited by kloubek

Marky wouldn't sign a contract without a NMC let alone a NTC.  He'll definitely want a NMC so he can't be exposed to the Kraken (he won't want to be packing his bags again just after he signs a long term contract somewhere).  Only a NMC prevents him from being taken by the Kraken (players with NTC can still be taken in the expansion draft).

I don't know why Marky signs a contract without an NMC.  If I was him, I wouldn't.  He deserves an NMC - just not in Van when we have a younger talented goalie whose age is closer to our core players.  Plus a goalie (Demko) who comes with a lower cap hit when we are already pushing the ceiling of the cap now. 

Marky was fantastic this year and I wish we could keep both goalies but we can't because we are going to lose Demko in the expansion draft (we can't afford to lose a young talented goalie like Demko for nothing). 

Given the cap and the upcoming expansion draft, I'd let Marky walk and sign his long term contract with a NMC.  I wish the best for him. 

The only other alternative is to trade Demko but I don't favour that option unless it involved a first round pick and a prospect.

Edited by sockeye