The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Demko "rattles" em bad!

Rate this topic

iceman64

7 hours ago, iceman64 said:

Yes I'm quite sure how Demko was making save after save and the harder they tried, the harder he played and matched them at every turn.. we're we not watching the same games? Demmer had them looking to the sky shaking their heads.. what more do you want?

The only times I’ve seen goaltending like that was Hasek in Nagano (the ice was tilted the entire time), a few games in 1990 with Ranford doing his heroics, and several games in MTLs 93 run.   Luongo Turco was amazing but the play was pretty equal - maybe lopsided even in our favour - although it went back and forth.    When the other team looks like they are on the PP 160 of 180 minutes even sometimes when on the PK...and we take them to six minutes from a zero zero tie in three elimination games with at that point only one goal allowed?   I’ve read about what Sawchuk managed during some of his series - maybe that’s comparable (less then 1.00GAA).   It was simply unreal.   I started to believe they’d never score - it seemed like divine intervention.... Demko on his back doing snow angels ha ha.   Fans will still be talking about this 30 years from now. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 3

We saw what a well rested Demko can do. Don't forget, when he is the starter, he won't be so well rested going into regular playoffs (this year is an outlier due to world events). I still have faith in him and believe he is the answer going forward. He will need a solid 1B to help with load management though.

What Demmers did was amazing.

And he totally get in Vegas head and you could see they were a different team after 2 games that he stole for us, going into game 7 and then Vegas. They didnt know where to turn and were beat mentally.

I do have to say though, its a bit premature to "drive Marky to the airport".

It was a no lose situation for Demko. JM injured, down 3 to 1. There really was NO pressure on Demmers, and he could only inflate his stock.

It was a shorter version of St Louis and Binnington. Binnington had NOTHING to lose. Stl were dead last and called him up. No pressure. A chip on his shoulder, and pure vision to show you belong.

When it comes to an 82 game season. The dredges of January and February, and you are now a paid started you don't have the same mental fortitude which is essential for goalies. 

Not saying he wont get there. But too many times goalies have shown they can be amazing in short stretches.

12 hours ago, iceman64 said:

Yes I'm quite sure how Demko was making save after save and the harder they tried, the harder he played and matched them at every turn.. we're we not watching the same games? Demmer had them looking to the sky shaking their heads.. what more do you want?

Demko made a lot of amazing saves.

Similar to what Marky has done a lot of times. 

But why do you guys let Green get away with what he did? 

If he had played Demko in game 3 we probably would have won the serie.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

Demko made a lot of amazing saves.

Similar to what Marky has done a lot of times. 

But why do you guys let Green get away with what he did? 

If he had played Demko in game 3 we probably would have won the serie.

That’s speculation, plus the team played a collapse defence around demko which limited our offence.

It would have been tiring to play that from game three. We simply ran out of gas and I don’t think playing demko earlier would have made a difference to the overall result. 

plus if he played in game three who knows how he would have played.

hindsight is 20/20 but logic dictates you ride the hot goalie in the playoffs and I think green made the right call

13 minutes ago, UKNuck96 said:

That’s speculation, plus the team played a collapse defence around demko which limited our offence.

It would have been tiring to play that from game three. We simply ran out of gas and I don’t think playing demko earlier would have made a difference to the overall result. 

plus if he played in game three who knows how he would have played.

hindsight is 20/20 but logic dictates you ride the hot goalie in the playoffs and I think green made the right call

No, a smart coach doesn't overload the hot goalie. Green should have trust Demko from the start and if we had lost the third game with Demko Marky had fresh legs and no injury. 

It's not hindsight because it is what coaches use to do in back to back games. What we could argue about is if Demko should have started in game 3 or 4. My reason to let Demko start in game 3 is that the game isn't as important when we are 1-1 in the serie. 

18 hours ago, iceman64 said:

Seems like our boy really messed with the heads of the Vegas Knights so bad they didn't recover fast enough from their confidence was kicked to the curb by Demko.. I could actually see that happening, go all out to close the door just to find a goalie skate wedged in there solidly period after period of hockey, yeah that'd mess with confidence. Reported by Vegas coach complaining and it hitting twitter..

Wtg Demko! Got em scared! :)

While Demko was outstanding, it was a limping, but team effort that various foundation guys deserve a lot of credit.

But that's the risk Vegas took - with their arrogance, their chirping, their disrespect for their opponent.

In belittling their opponent and pretending that they could merely impose their will - 'step on the throats' of an inferior opponent....

They ironically reduced themselves.

When that opponent proved capable of taking them to the closing minutes of game 7....

Not only had the Canucks broken their overconfidence, but Vegas had a huge role to play in that themselves.  They dramatically widened the gap in which they fell.

Dallas imo did benefit from getting to watch that play out - and continued to execute it themselves- with a healthier, more veteran lineup.

Edited by oldnews

11 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

No, a smart coach doesn't overload the hot goalie. Green should have trust Demko from the start and if we had lost the third game with Demko Marky had fresh legs and no injury. 

It's not hindsight because it is what coaches use to do in back to back games. What we could argue about is if Demko should have started in game 3 or 4. My reason to let Demko start in game 3 is that the game isn't as important when we are 1-1 in the serie. 

We don’t know if/when exactly that injury was picked up and he may already have had it by that point or he may not. 

but even so it’s not a guarantee we would have won the series in that situation as you allude. We played ultra defensive with demko in the net, and aggressive in clearing rebounds

also a big factor is that Myers in game three gassing returned so the defence at that point was not as strong as later on in the series when demko was playing. 

This playoffs was different for many reasons but traditionally the wisdom has been to ride a hot goalie to the finish line, I think if demko was played and lost in game 3 CDC would have crucified Green. Hense why hindsight is 20/20 it’s easy to say this now, and Green would have thought about it but decided against it

8 minutes ago, oldnews said:

While Demko was outstanding, it was a limping, but team effort that various foundation guys deserve a lot of credit.

But that's the risk Vegas took - with their arrogance, their chirping, their disrespect for their opponent.

In belittling their opponent and pretending that they could merely impose their will - 'step on the throats' of an inferior opponent....

They ironically reduced themselves.

When that opponent proved capable of taking them to the closing minutes of game 7....

Not only had the Canucks broken their overconfidence, but Vegas had a huge role to play in that themselves.  They dramatically widened the gap in which they fell.

Dallas imo did benefit from getting to watch that play out - and continued to execute it themselves- with a healthier, more veteran lineup.

I sort of agree with you that it was done as a team BUT without Demko standing on his head while our team let him get peppered, yes we had the firepower that kept us in it but without Demko we would have probably seen 4-5 games instead of the last period of game 7

And only one goal got by him while he was standing there and it got in their heads and STAYED there, so as much as I agree with you the fact still remains that this team will have a bright future with Thatcher between the pipes, thankfully that's not just skill but calmness that matches almost anyone in the league that has the Elite label attached. 

Team wise, it all starts with having a great goalie, then D and JB is upgrading the D and 3/4th lines with our set top six, we're getting close.. 

Thank God the rebuild or whatever you want to call it, is pretty much over, hard to see a team like ours will look like in a couple of seasons not making serious cup runs.

Pretty fun to be a nux fan these days and looking forward to watching this core for years. Just a tweak here and there and we're golden!